Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Toolbox Lock Help

Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Toolbox Lock Help

I have a Kobalt "Better Built" truck toolbox, and let me say, the lock mechanism is pretty damn cheap. Half the time I leave it unlocked just because I can barely get the key in to unlock it. The little metal "plate" over the actual keyhole doesn't really want to move when I try to slide the key in. Once I actually get the key past the "plate," I have to jiggle the key around for about 20 seconds to get it to go in all the way. I have not tried graphite lube or anything, I may try that before I do anything else.

My question: Is there a good way to retrofit the toolbox handle to throw on a padlock or something on there? I would like to do it to both sides because I've heard stories of Kobalt boxes that just get pried from the non-lock side to get into.

Matt
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
I should also mention, I have the pull handles with the lock cylinder on one side, shown in this picture.

Matt
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
I have a Kobalt "Better Built" truck toolbox, and let me say, the lock mechanism is pretty damn cheap. Half the time I leave it unlocked just because I can barely get the key in to unlock it. The little metal "plate" over the actual keyhole doesn't really want to move when I try to slide the key in. Once I actually get the key past the "plate," I have to jiggle the key around for about 20 seconds to get it to go in all the way. I have not tried graphite lube or anything, I may try that before I do anything else.

My question: Is there a good way to retrofit the toolbox handle to throw on a padlock or something on there? I would like to do it to both sides because I've heard stories of Kobalt boxes that just get pried from the non-lock side to get into.

Matt
The lock latch is adjustable but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

I would try the lube first.

You could always add a lock easily

I have had the same box for a few years and you can't just easily pry up the non-locking side. That side still has a latch on it.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
The lock latch is adjustable but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

I would try the lube first.

You could always add a lock easily

I have had the same box for a few years and you can't just easily pry up the non-locking side. That side still has a latch on it.
Well, for future reference for anyone, I sprayed some PB Blaster all-purpose lube a couple times into the lock, and the key works like a charm now. I noticed I may have to spray the lock every once in a while (kept the lube in my rear door pocket) but now the lock works perfectly.

Thanks Skip.

Matt
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Well, for future reference for anyone, I sprayed some PB Blaster all-purpose lube a couple times into the lock, and the key works like a charm now. I noticed I may have to spray the lock every once in a while (kept the lube in my rear door pocket) but now the lock works perfectly.

Thanks Skip.

Matt
It may be living in NH BUT I have a 3 oz. can of Lock-ease for just that reason''.. 2 years and counting on that small can

Small locks at times SUCK...BUT you get in the habit of PM'n and WOW ...I have my Betterbuilt Tacoma box,a Pro-Tech on the Mack Office and 3 Masters for misc . shed locks for supplies....The minute they act up...a little extra keeps them working and my Blood pressure down...