Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

using gas generator in severe weather

Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #21
bmpskir will become famous soon enoughbmpskir will become famous soon enough

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
I have a generator and have to run it a lot - always loosing power... if you have your panel or the plug in the garage the easiest is just open the door and put it facing out...

if you feel you must, just build a 3 walled shed off the back of the garage with roof - make one of the walls on hinges so it can open and close...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
To be honest, I would build a small brick container for it outside that locks....Think about it....huge storm comes, huge power outage...Generator's sold out....Thieves driving around at 3AM.....Hey look! That guy has power! Not to mention the noise of it running could attract thieves.

Secondly, check out the natural gas/propane conversion kit's. These are awesome because they dont require extreme modification and you can run your gen. off of Gas, NG or LP.

http://youtu.be/CaJixPkWvR0

http://www.propanecarbs.com/
I actually bought mine set up to run propane, it's a nice setup! They're quieter and the exhaust doesn't hardly smell at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I actually bought mine set up to run propane, it's a nice setup! They're quieter and the exhaust doesn't hardly smell at all.
Heck yea! when I have a house im gonna setup one. They even make a carb. flange for engines as small as the Honda GX25. I always use to think propane engines were some special design or something...turns out its just a manifold flange and a regulator! Considering we use to drive propane forklifts around indoors when I worked at the hope depot, the fumes of NG or LP gotta be less polluting. I'd like to know the cost per Watt of LP and NG vs Gasoline. Would have to be cheaper for NG anyways.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I built a small shed for mine. It uses attic vents on two sides and the door. The roof is hinged to allow starting and servicing. It also locks to prevent theft. Weather has been no problem. It stays plenty cool while the generator is running, winter or summer.

The siding is 3/4" T111 and the roofing is aluminum sheet metal. The downside is that the roof is so heavy that I had to install counterweights so the wife could lift it.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
fishbomb is on a distinguished road
fishbomb's Tacoma Gallery
Code

Check your local code, many states have safe operating distance requirements. Call your state fire marshal or code enforcement office
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to blow your mind here...but for $40 at BJ's (when they are on sale) get a heavy duty resin folding table...I have one that I put over my generator and it's perfect. It's waterproof and high enough that it doesn't get hot..You can store the propane and the generator under the table. I actually can slip it just under the horizontal frame of my patio railing so it fits perfect...
Take a look at one and see what you think...
http://www.bjs.com/alera-resin-30-x-...?dimId=2001453
They also have them on amazon...but wait for when they go on sale for 1/2 price...and when the storm ends you fold the table and put it away..bonus you have an extra table for parties etc...