Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless tool discussion.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Makita FTW
Truer words were ne'er spoken
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
DikDikerson is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
DikDikerson's Tacoma Gallery
I'v found dewalt tools have been declining in quality over the last decade. Back in the day I would only buy dewalt, but now I switched almost everything over to makita. I have a hitachi miter saw mainly because I got a great deal on it and it's great. I still have a the portable dewalt table saw and it's not bad but the little things like locks and levers keep breaking.

Makita FTW
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running 18v DeWalt tools for years, but upgraded to the Lithium Ion batteries. The tools have been bullet proof
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DikDikerson View Post
I'v found dewalt tools have been declining in quality over the last decade. Back in the day I would only buy dewalt, but now I switched almost everything over to makita. I have a hitachi miter saw mainly because I got a great deal on it and it's great. I still have a the portable dewalt table saw and it's not bad but the little things like locks and levers keep breaking.

Makita FTW
I feel this statement is based off a few factors.

Most people do not get the PREMIUM version of the tool they want and think getting by with the BARGAIN version is the way to go. This is where a home owner or occasional user gets by.

The premium versions have more to them. Like this sawzall I want now. The kit version is slightly dumbed down. But the tool only version has more features.

Also, ALL manufacturers have Recalls and Service bulletins. Not forgetting the warranty's too. I found when and if a tool fails, sent in or brought to a service center, I got the newest version of the tool. Unless I specifically asked for mine back. Then I got mine back with whatever fixed.

I have had multiple brands fail on me. I remember a Makita drill that came apart. Motor assembly came clear off the handle.

There are pro's and cons to every tool, and manufacturer. Dewalt/ BlackandDecker/ Stanley tools happen to be what I'm using right now due to the deals I got on them. I'm not saying anyone is better than the next at this point. Only vouching for my experience with my tools I have owned over the years.

Breakdown of the tools I have will follow this post.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
watermelon has a spectacular aura aboutwatermelon has a spectacular aura about

watermelon's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned many of the major competitors over the years, and always seemed to favor dewalt. Almost exclusively dewalt power tools now. Started to slowly upgrade everything over to the 20v dewalts in the last 6 months and couldn't be happier!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
DikDikerson is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
DikDikerson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I feel this statement is based off a few factors.

Most people do not get the PREMIUM version of the tool they want and think getting by with the BARGAIN version is the way to go. This is where a home owner or occasional user gets by.

The premium versions have more to them. Like this sawzall I want now. The kit version is slightly dumbed down. But the tool only version has more features.

Also, ALL manufacturers have Recalls and Service bulletins. Not forgetting the warranty's too. I found when and if a tool fails, sent in or brought to a service center, I got the newest version of the tool. Unless I specifically asked for mine back. Then I got mine back with whatever fixed.

I have had multiple brands fail on me. I remember a Makita drill that came apart. Motor assembly came clear off the handle.

There are pro's and cons to every tool, and manufacturer. Dewalt/ BlackandDecker/ Stanley tools happen to be what I'm using right now due to the deals I got on them. I'm not saying anyone is better than the next at this point. Only vouching for my experience with my tools I have owned over the years.

Breakdown of the tools I have will follow this post.

That's very true. I have a wet saw that had the worst reviews ever and was supposed to be a POS, but I'v used it to tile many thousands of square feet and it's still going strong.

As for PREMIUM tools, you definitely get what you pay for. There is a reason good tools are more expensive, but worth the extra money in the long run.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
DEWALT 20-Volt Max (3.0 Ah) Lithium Ion 4-Tool Combo Kit -DCK491L2 -$499.oo
DEWALT 20-Volt Max (3.0 Ah) Lithium-Ion Brushless 3-Speed 1/4 in. Impact Driver Kit -DCF895L2 - $349.oo
So thats ~$850 right?

Breakdown on the tools and cost is

DEWALT 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion 1/2 in. Hammerdrill/Drill Driver Tool Only -DCD985B - $149.oo
DEWALT 20-Volt Max Li-Ion Circular Saw (Tool Only) -DCS391B - $129.oo
DEWALT 20-Volt Max Li-Ion Reciprocating Saw (Tool Only) -DCS380B - $129.oo
DEWALT 20-Volt Max LED Flashlight -DCL040 - $49.oo
DEWALT 12-20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Battery Charger -DCB101 - $69.97
DEWALT 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Brushless 3-Speed 1/4 in. Impact Driver Tool Only -DCF895B - $169.oo
DEWALT 20-Volt 3.0 Ah Max Lithium Ion Battery Pack -DCB200 - $99.oo x3!
DEWALT 20-Volt 1.5 Ah Max Lithium Ion Compact Battery Pack -DCB201 - $79.oo

I bought the combo kit for $250 a couple months ago and the 1/4" Driver for $140 for a grand total of $390. Buying them individually it would be $1070.97 plus tax! So in saving 680.97 plus tax, I'm happy with the set I have right now.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I just want to add the Grinder and A 1/2" Impact driver. Then I will be done with Power Tool aquisitions. until I can get the 4.0AH Battery's.

I saw the jig saw too. But I already have a corded one. Might sell it and grab the cordless one also. but again, I look and wait for the best deals. When they come around, I try my hardest to barter and pay out of pocket as little as possible.

One of the Newest tools they have out is the Radar scanner. If I was still doing construction, I would be lusting for this bad boy.
12V MAX* Hand Held Radar Scanner Kit
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just want to add the Grinder and A 1/2" Impact driver. Then I will be done with Power Tool aquisitions. until I can get the 4.0AH Battery's.

I saw the jig saw too. But I already have a corded one. Might sell it and grab the cordless one also. but again, I look and wait for the best deals. When they come around, I try my hardest to barter and pay out of pocket as little as possible.

One of the Newest tools they have out is the Radar scanner. If I was still doing construction, I would be lusting for this bad boy.
12V MAX* Hand Held Radar Scanner Kit
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Your telling me... They just released it today an hour ago. If I could find a legitimate use for it, other than replacing my $50 stud finder, I would consider buying it once its available. Right now, it is hard to justify any purchases. If I was going to make money with this monster, oh yeah!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a dewalt fan but they seem to make decent tools. I had a milwaukee impact, had more torque then the makitas but the batteries sucked. We use makitas in the shop and they work damn well. My Buddie picked one up on an on ramp, must have been run over a few times, still works, though its in a few pieces.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #32
Super Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Grayson
Super Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Makita FTW
Yes
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #33
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a Milwaukee fan myself.. I have the 1/2" cordless impact wrench w/ friction ring as well as a cordless 4" angle grinder. The grinder likes to eat up the lithium batteries quickly so I only use it when I need the cordless capability. I've been nothing but happy with Milwaukee's products. That impact is no joke.

On the subjects of Dewalts, they do make good tools. I have used plenty of them, even the 1/2" impact driver pictured in the first post. I just went with something I'm more use to and had awesome reviews.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Sawzall s and grinders are rough on most battery's due to the current draw

What's the torque on that milwalkie?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #35
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The only time I opt for a cordless, is when I would not be able to get a cord to it, or an air line. Makita and Milwaukee are my preference.
That said, corded tools are usually cheaper. Quality air tools are a better bet, with a good compressor backing them up. Corded and cordless tools are still more portable, though.
Always opt for the quality tool vs. the cheaper one. It will pay off in the long run, especially if you use it a lot.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #36
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sawzall s and grinders are rough on most battery's due to the current draw

What's the torque on that milwalkie?
I pretty much have only used my Makita 18V recip saw for pipework , but I love it for even that one job
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I've used Dewalt, Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee. For a drill the Makita's were always my favorites. It's hard to beat the impact driver from Milwaukee tho. I love that thing. It's only 1/4" but Ive used the hell out of it with no issues.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #38
Alan84 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Alan
Alan84's Tacoma Gallery
So I just bought a Craftsman C3 Drill/Driver Kit with Lithium Ion Battery and it sucks. It has no power what so ever. Will be returning it soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I've used Dewalt, Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee. For a drill the Makita's were always my favorites. It's hard to beat the impact driver from Milwaukee tho. I love that thing. It's only 1/4" but Ive used the hell out of it with no issues.

I had that same impact. I use and abuse the hell out of my tools. I still have it and it works but it is much slower and louder than it was when it was brand new. My makita kicks its ass when it comes to torque. Dont get me wrong its a good tool it just didn't last for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had that same impact. I use and abuse the hell out of my tools. I still have it and it works but it is much slower and louder than it was when it was brand new. My makita kicks its ass when it comes to torque. Dont get me wrong its a good tool it just didn't last for me.
They have a good warranty too. Contact them directly, or show up to a homedepot in the AM when the Rep is there.