Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless tool discussion.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
I have dewalt 20v circular saw, recip saw, drill, impact, jig saw and flashlight, got them first day they were available, as an electrician they get ABUSED daily and have held up nicely, I have drilled through 5 2x6 studs with a 1 1/4" auger bit with no problems
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Dewalt 1/2 impact.......dewalt drill/driver (full size one, not the lil one they offer)........dewalt sawzall.......dewalt angle grinder......all 18 volt cordless, all worked flawlessly for the last few years....I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of my electrician 2' auger bits. I was going to put it to the test on the weekend helping a buddy out.

Hows that jig saw working out for you? Any feedback is welcome.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Sawzall s and grinders are rough on most battery's due to the current draw

What's the torque on that milwalkie?
It puts out 450 ft. -lbs. It's insane. My buddy says I sound like I'm in nascar when I'm working on my truck with that thing lol.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #45
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Makita run over multiple times, still kicking.

We don't actually use it just kinda funny to keep around.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
It puts out 450 ft. -lbs. It's insane. My buddy says I sound like I'm in nascar when I'm working on my truck with that thing lol.
Yeah, the drills and impacts use a similar motor so thats accurate.

450 eh? Thats more than the dewalts
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #47
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Makita run over multiple times, still kicking.

We don't actually use it just kinda funny to keep around.
I bet they would still fix that for a small fee
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #48
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bet they would still fix that for a small fee
I'm sure we could get fastenal to take care of it for us, but we've got plenty in the shop now.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #49
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I just bought a cordless ryobi 1/2" drive impact with a lithium battery and charger. Haven't had an excuse to use it yet.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #50
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
i prefer cords and constant never ending power
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #51
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan84 View Post
So I just bought a Craftsman C3 Drill/Driver Kit with Lithium Ion Battery and it sucks. It has no power what so ever. Will be returning it soon.
Yeah, I have a ton of the C3 and the previous 'Pro' stuff from Crapsman and it's not even in the same league. They're pretty much garbage & the batteries and chargers crap out all the time. Just cheap crap pretty much.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #52
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
I have dewalt 20v circular saw, recip saw, drill, impact, jig saw and flashlight, got them first day they were available, as an electrician they get ABUSED daily and have held up nicely, I have drilled through 5 2x6 studs with a 1 1/4" auger bit with no problems
Yep, that's exactly why I got my 20v Dewalt kit and use the 12v compact impact on my belt. That little sucker is damn good for that use. The other nice thing is that whatever job site I'm on if I need a battery someone will have several charged and ready to go. I debated the Milwaukee line but opted for the Dewalt for exactly this reason.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #53
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditstpk View Post
i prefer cords and constant never ending power
Sure, as long as electricity is handy. If you're the guy who's job it is is to bring electrical service to a location then that isn't going to do you much good.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #54
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I have a few DeWalt 18v tools with the XRP batteries that supposedly last longer, and I love them. We've always used DeWalt. We've dropped them a few feet off of ladders, used them in the rain, and put them through a few other small abuses. They just keep working. The batteries charge in under an hour.
I wasn't aware that they made a 20v version. The magazine "Family Handyman" did a comparison test of cordless tool brands a few months ago. You might be able to find it online.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #55
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Yep, that's exactly why I got my 20v Dewalt kit and use the 12v compact impact on my belt. That little sucker is damn good for that use. The other nice thing is that whatever job site I'm on if I need a battery someone will have several charged and ready to go. I debated the Milwaukee line but opted for the Dewalt for exactly this reason.
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Sure, as long as electricity is handy. If you're the guy who's job it is is to bring electrical service to a location then that isn't going to do you much good.
Yep! I remember the days when I lugged around a Honda 5000 generator in my CAR I was that guy that thought corded was the way to go when we were building houses. The job site became quiet as a mouse after I got cordless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
I have a few DeWalt 18v tools with the XRP batteries that supposedly last longer, and I love them. We've always used DeWalt. We've dropped them a few feet off of ladders, used them in the rain, and put them through a few other small abuses. They just keep working. The batteries charge in under an hour.
I wasn't aware that they made a 20v version. The magazine "Family Handyman" did a comparison test of cordless tool brands a few months ago. You might be able to find it online.
In the 18v shaft line (XRP included) there is a dual charger and a 15min charger too.

The Lithium Ion 20v MAX USA version is just an 18v in slide battery form. The rest of the world it is marketed as the Lithium Ion XR system. Offered in 10.8v, 14.4v and 18v. See. look here - http://dewalt.co.uk/powertools/cordless/xr-system/

They named it 20v in the USA to maintain the difference in the 18v lines. Also, the batterys charge up to 20v MAX and discharge around 18v...
Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #56
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Heres an article ffrom 2011
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tested-gearbox
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #57
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...rque-impactool

Quote:
Convenience of Cordless. Power of Air.
The W7150 1/2″ 20V High-Torque Impactool™ is the only cordless impact wrench that can perform pound-for-pound with our best-in-class 2135TiMAX, 1/2″ air Impactool, the W7150 cordless tool will make quick work of tough jobs that professional technicians do every day.
Quote:
POWER
780 ft-lbs of maximum reverse torque & 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque - from cordless impact wrench that weighs only 6.8 lbs.
High-power rare earth magnet (neodymium) motor — offers a long life and high power
Wow! that is all.

I don't need that much power right now. But they publicized the secret. Neodymium Magnets.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #58
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
I'm a Milwaukee fan myself.. I have the 1/2" cordless impact wrench w/ friction ring as well as a cordless 4" angle grinder. The grinder likes to eat up the lithium batteries quickly so I only use it when I need the cordless capability. I've been nothing but happy with Milwaukee's products. That impact is no joke.

My Milwaukee impact driver has been nothing but awesome. 1/2" impact with pin is a beast I'd agree. 1/4" impact and hammer drill/driver have been bulletproof.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #59
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Yeah, the drills and impacts use a similar motor so thats accurate.

450 eh? Thats more than the dewalts
I always take mine wheeling in case a CV or tire needs to be changed. It came in very handy when a rock broke my valve stem and I was able to change tires in just a few minutes. All the wheeling buddies were impressed
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #60
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Thats awesome. Too bad theres not a tool conference, well that I know about. I would like to go to one of those type deals to see the latest gear and compare what I could hands on. Like a Big Box Store but with the full lines of the tools. Not the pick and match stuff the stores do now.