Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless tool discussion.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #61
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a home owner and use my tools just to fix or renovate things around the house. That being said, Ryobi cordless tools have put up with quite a bit of abuse and still kicking. I've got 2 drills, a circular saw, sawzall, nailer, string trimmer and who knows how many batteries, a mix of both regular and lithium.

The drills have functioned very well so far. I've dropped them off a roof, had them covered in chemicals and don't exactly treat them nice. They've been kicked around, dropped, etc and are still running great. They're about 5 years old now and I'm honestly impressed with how well they've held up for being relatively inexpensive tools.

The circular saw is nice to have just because it's small, takes the same batteries as the drills and fits in the same carrying case. I really only use it out of convenience. For what it is, it does ok. It will not rip boards easily at all and does not have a large enough blade to cut anything thicker than about 1.5".

The cordless sawzall is great! It's very handy in tight spots (think attics and crawl spaces). It runs out of juice quickly if you have a large job but will eventually get through just about everything a corded one will. The corded ones will walk through tough cuts much quicker but I still use the cordless frequently.

The nailer I bought because it was cheaper to buy that to get a lithium battery than it was to just buy that battery. It's pretty much useless. It will shoot small, finish nails and that's about it (even those it will struggle to sink them into hard woods).

The string trimmer is actually pretty nice. I wouldn't recommend it for a large yard but something small and suburban, it does very well. It lasts for about 40 minutes of continuous use with a lithium battery. I like it because I HATE dragging around cords in the yard and is one less engine I have to keep running.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #62
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I have one of my electrician 2' auger bits. I was going to put it to the test on the weekend helping a buddy out.

Hows that jig saw working out for you? Any feedback is welcome.
I like the jigsaw, no complaints so far, it gets less use than the rest of the tools. I'm going to try the angle grinder soon
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #63
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
I like the jigsaw, no complaints so far, it gets less use than the rest of the tools. I'm going to try the angle grinder soon
You know, I saw the angle grinder the first time watching storage wars. They were opening lockers with it.

All I could think about was the body chop with it!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #64
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I like DeWalt, Those are the only cordless ones I use. 3 18v hammer drills, 1 12v drill, flashlight. I just wish someone made cordless tools in the USA.

Milwaukee and Makita are good too I guess, those two make up my most of my corded tools. Got those from my grandpa, he bought em when they were still made in the good old USA. They will outlast chinese made ones any day of the week.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #65
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't IR make in USA/?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #66
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #67
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I think Dewalt makes their money on selling replacement batteries.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #68
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I think Dewalt makes their money on selling replacement batteries.
I posted the method to refurbish the battery's a page or so back. Dewalt's tools are easily disassembled with a security Torx bit.

The individual "Cells" or battery's that are inside can be bought online cheap.