LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Cordless tool discussion.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Cordless tool discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Picked up one of these today. Got it with 1 x 1.5AH & 1x 3.0AH 20v batterys for $140. Will make some of the up coming mods a little easier for me. Bolts can be stubborn after 8 years.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dcf895c2.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
That'll be handy, but don't be surprised if you need a 1/2" drive breaker bar for something truly stubborn. That'll deliver considerably more torque than a 1/4" drive impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Where did you find this with those two batteries for $140?
Quote:
Got in good with a dealer and he said he will order one in his next order. Still though, 125ft lbs torque isn't bad. I'd like to have both, but only having one in 1/2" is more practical. So its probably going to be the Full sized one.

I was looking at the Same form factor 150ft lbs version vs the full sized one @300ft lbs torque
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
That does seem awfully cheap. Maybe it's a reman?

^^^ Nevermind. 125 ft/lbs is actually pretty good for a 1/4" drive tool, and DeWalt makes good stuff. I hope you spend some more money with that friendly dealer!
Quote:
I've been waiting for a good deal on one of these specifically for a while and the prices are all about $100 more than that so if you can get me one for that price or put me in touch with your guy shoot me a PM.
Quote:
I keep a breaker bar in with my factory jack kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Home Depot runs some pretty good sales when the new models are coming out and they need to clear inventory.

I picked up the 18v LiPo combo pack with 2 batteries, charger, drill, and 1/4" impact for about $160.
Quote:
I won't use this for car work but they're awesome for running holes in 2x4's for pulling cables, romex and such. I keep a 12v impact on my belt but for larger jobs these 20v brushless impacts are fantastic!
Quote:
Best I can do is ask. I have done a lot of work for the guy for free just helping out with things here and there. Then he tells me he owns the shop and asks if there are any tools I needed. Said he couldn't give them to me, but would give me rock bottom on the prices for a couple pieces. SO I saw tha 1/4" and wanted the newer battery's with the power gauge on them. ALso mentioned I wanted the 1/2" drive too. SO I have til noon monday to let him know which of the other 2 tools I want and that will conclude our business.

But, Like I said, I will ask. Any business man scared of a little money is no business man at all. Know what I mean>?
Quote:
Good info if you're just looking for a deal on a drill but this IS the new model we're talking about and I want one. I also want to know where this guy found one for $140 and if he can get me one.
Quote:
I hear ya. If you can score me one I would be grateful as it would get a heck of a lot of use.
Quote:
Do you have any of the 20v tools already? I sold all my 18v stuff and got a 20v 4 piece set off CL locally for $250 after talking the guy down. I always look out for deals and try to barter or offer manual labor vs spending any money out of pocket.
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dck491l2.aspx
Quote:
The reason why I ask if you have any of the 20V tools already is because there's a lot of tool only for sale on the net. Ebay has bids ranging from 100-150 right now for various configs of it. I typed in "Dewalt 20v Brushless" as the search criteria.

HomeDepot Has them @169 right now...

I wanted to see one in person before I got one. Have had my eyes on these for some time too. But opportunity came and I utilized it.
Quote:
I had that same 20v kit with a bunch of batteries but it was liberated from my possession. On top of that I wanted the new batteries with the indicators on them. I will eventually add more of the 20v tools but for now I've been making due with some Crafstman versions and some corded versions of the same tools. If I get some big jobs that require them again I'll probably drop the $500 to replace them all again.
Quote:
Hey, check your local Craigslist. I just looked in Denver Area (20v Dewalt) and theres LOTS of tools for sale. I want that 20v grinder too.
Quote:
I do watch CL but the closest thing to this 20v Brushless impact is $215 used and doesn't even include the smaller battery, just the one 3.0 battery.
Quote:
Saw that one. I'll talk to the guy in the AM and see if he wants to maybe do some sort of group buy or something on tools. There might be allocation issues, thats another wild card. He is in close proximity to two big box stores as it is.

That do you think though on the 2 1/2" ones though? 300ft lbs or 150ft lbs version?
Quote:
I think we're getting this thread off track so I'll just say that it depends on your needs. For me, I have more 1/4" bits and attachments and need the battery life and compactness of it. For the use I need it for the 20v brushless impact is perfect. If you need more torque then go for the 300ft lb version but know that it's rather large as far as the case itself so keep the in mind as clearance issues may keep you from being able to use it. I got a TON of use from the non-brushless one and it did everything I asked of it w/o any complaints. I got even more use from my Dewalt 12v impact as it was small and lightweight and lived on my belt when I did time as an electrician. If you don't need the longer battery life of the burshless for large jobs then it may not be the best fit for your needs. I'm going to be finishing my basement soon so this will be perfect for that purpose. As some have stated you will likely still need to use breaker bars to manually do things in the garage but around construction and stuff they work fantastically. It really does come down to personal needs & wants though so it's not really a question I can answer for you.
thoughts?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Not a DeWalt cordless tool fan personally
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Makita FTW
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Post up your local finds here. Maybe help another member buy something and ship? Any online deals or promotional codes, discounts etc.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Not a DeWalt cordless tool fan personally
I like a good deal, thats what I got. On the 4 piece set, i got it for almost half price for a NIB set. The impact brushless 1/4" $140 so again, almost half. Personally, I have had one fail over the 12 years I have used their tools. They warranty's without an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Makita FTW
I have owned Makita in the past, good tools.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
The majority of cordless tools i use are impact drivers. I have used dewalt, makita and Milwaukee, all 18v. Makita is my favorite but the dewalts are nice also, i wasnt very happy with the milwaukee impact, it wore out very quickly and it is now slow and loud. I havnt tried milwaukees new impact with the brushless motor. My brushless makita impact is awesome, 3 speeds, batterys last forever and charge quick, plenty of power for a 18v tool.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
been running all the cordless drills out there and had the best of luck with dewalt
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
we used dewalt to build our hangar, house and do regular maintenance on our house and haven't had a problem.
my grandpa uses ryobi and hasn't had a problem as far as i know.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Makita FTW
This
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
I have yet to switch over to cordless tools. Had a 12 volt dewalt a few years ago. Worked good but got sick of the charging and running out features.
My garage is a death trap when I get going, light, drill, grinder, sawsall...... all corded.
I am considering makita though.
Anyone use Bosch on a regular basis?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
anyone see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFPgACE0Kc

i have thew 1.5ah, and the 3.0ah batterys. 4.0ah is out in UK!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I have a craftsman 20v professional cordless impact. It has worked well on everything I have tried it on. Breaks the stubborn bolts pretty easily, even the rusted out bed bolts when I added the extra d rings.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I thought Dewalt was a US company, but it appears they release overseas first.

Also, to save your batterys that are dying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=96foswY1m58
Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I have a craftsman 20v professional cordless impact. It has worked well on everything I have tried it on. Breaks the stubborn bolts pretty easily, even the rusted out bed bolts when I added the extra d rings.
I have one of the 20v Craftsman batterys. Well Diehard 19.2 lithium Ion batterys with the light and battery indicator. coincidently, had the impact 1/2" driver too.

Selling it since my driver disappeared a couple months ago. Make me an offer and I'll bring it tuesday if your there.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
graduated from a crapsman to my current panasonic model. casual, and even experienced cordless drill-users have been surprised to learn that panasonic made one of the absolute best cordless drills available when i purchased mine 10 years-ago. it is a lithe, lean, very comfortable-to-use beast, far surpassing the big name brands which i had tried. that said, if/when this one dies, there is another brand to consider--------------festool. hard to find (german-made), and pricey, yet with a stellar rep amongst serious tool owners http://festools-online.com/festool-t...ol-drills.html
Attached Thumbnails
Cordless tool discussion.-4534586_20.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery

I have this one. I love it. I just bought the 20v sawsall.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
graduated from a crapsman to my current panasonic model. casual, and even experienced cordless drill-users have been surprised to learn that panasonic made one of the absolute best cordless drills available when i purchased mine 10 years-ago. it is a lithe, lean, very comfortable-to-use beast, far surpassing the big name brands which i had tried. that said, if/when this one dies, there is another brand to consider--------------festool. hard to find (german-made), and pricey, yet with a stellar rep amongst serious tool owners http://festools-online.com/festool-t...ol-drills.html
I just replaced all my Panasonic 12V gear , that stuff was bombproof
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post

I have this one. I love it. I just bought the 20v sawsall.
I realized after I got the combo kit that I didn't get the right sawzall. Mine is a 1" thrust. Yours is the 1-1/8", with a 4 way chuck. I am selling mine so I can buy the right one like you have.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I hate to be a downer on this but stores like wally world, HD, Lowe's, don't sell the BEST runs of these tools. They sell a lot of them with cheap wiring and internals. I used to work at a small place that sold Dewalt drills. I wrote down part numbers one day because I wondered why we were charging 300 for the "same thing" HD had in a flyer for 149. Searched the web, the numbers off our stuff came were all different than what was sold at the big stores.

Just my .02 and in most cases (mine included as I have all craftsman cordless tools) they are good enough for the average homeowner/DIY'er but not for someone who needs their stuff all day, every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That may or may not be 100% accurate. It is the case in some products, but it is not always the case.

In many cases, it is actually to PROTECT the little guy. Part numbers are altered so that smaller shops like the one you worked for are not forced into price-matching against the big-box stores.
My Blue-Ray player came from Sam's, and carries a different model number than Best Buy... but the Harmony remote settings work properly using the settings for the "standard" Sony part number that cost $50 more at Best Buy. The two units are identical except for the part number.

How can Walmart sell for $160 when you can't sell for less than $300?
Walmart bought 20,000 units. You bought 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
I work for the tool department at lowes and you have some good points but lowes is far from the best as they are mainly focused on homeowners. But I do have a couple of the DeWalt 20v tools and I am pretty impresed with the line so far.
Quote:
They also are the only local box store that carries Knipex hand tools. I LOVE my Knipex tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
And this is becoming the tool section again
Yeah!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?fv=hj1Do6oevPQ

see, check out the angles on this bad boy!

Heres the link to the 4.0ah batterys too.
http://dewalt.co.uk/attachments/prod...pecifications/