LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Mechanical Risks to slipping clutch?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Mechanical Risks to slipping clutch?

Hello all,

If my clutch is slipping, and I continue driving it... what could it damage other than the flywheel? What are the mechanical risks or potential damage to driving a truck with a slipping clutch other than a worn flywheel? Any advice appreciated.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
Hello all,

If my clutch is slipping, and I continue driving it... what could it damage other than the flywheel? What are the mechanical risks or potential damage to driving a truck with a slipping clutch other than a worn flywheel? Any advice appreciated.
i'm not a mechanic but i'd wager the following hypotheses:

slipping clutch:

1) generates excessive heat, ...not good for clutch fluid, ..tranny...

2) clutch fluid doesn't work good if hot...

3) clutch disk could fail, break apart, ...potential hazard for occupant..

...i'm sure some folks continue to drive around if they have a slipping clutch, ...but if it's bad, i'd err on getting it replaced... it won't get any better...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Youll warp the flywheel, too much heat and it wont be machinable. As mentioned, ur disc and pressure plate could split apart and damage parts in the bellhousing. I dont think youll harm the internal transmission from it. I could be wrong.
Are you certain its the clutch itself? Air in the clutch line could cause slipping as well.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah pretty sure its a (LUK) clutch, definitely slipping. I just bought the truck from a dealer 166 miles away. I've left the truck parked for a few weeks and now after calling them back and raising hell about it, they are sending someone in a rental car to pick up the truck and drive it 166 miles back to the dealer for repair. The clutch will engage, but if you try and pass someone in 5th gear normally it will slip, or on hills. I just wanted to make sure I cover my ass for letting them drive it 166 miles in this condition. They did say they would replace the flywheel if its damaged. I guess we will see what happens!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
wait, is this a new truck?