Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Extension cord question

Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Extension cord question

I need a good extension cord, my wife bought me an electric log splitter so I want an outdoor, heavy duty cord. I was looking at 12/3 gauge cords and can get by with a 50 ft cord, but a 100 ft one would give me more options for a splitting area and make it a bit easier to move the splits to the stack.

Is there any reason other than saving a few dollars I should go with a 50 ft over a 100 ft? Is the 12/3 outdoor wire sufficient for a 15 amp motor, or do I need to get a 10/3?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'd imagine 12-3 is no smaller than the house wiring to the outlet you intend to use?... if so, i'd suspect it's fine, since your breaker is probably designed for 15A, ..or maybe it's a 20A.. i'd just go w/ the same guage or better (i.e smaller # = thicker conductors) than the house wiring to the outlet, and make sure the tool is not rated for more current than the house circuit/outlet is...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I recently bought a 100' 10/3 heavy duty cord , totally awesome
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
12/3 50ft will work but maske sure your on a 20a outlet......my log splitter blows 15a breaker w/out and extention cord.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Harbor Freight. I just picked up a 50' 10/3 outdoor cord pretty cheap (much, much cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot). I bought it at the new location in Natick.

There is some benefit to using a thicker wire for long distances but I bought 10/3 because it can be used for anything (a thick wire can always power a small accessory but you can't safely run a high draw accessory using wire that's too thin).