Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Diagnose me/Fix me

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
pull the tank off and dump it. Also check out youtube for some tips on small engine carb rebuilds.
Okay thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You're cutting grass already ?
Its starting to grow already. Plus it will help with the pup.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
I recently had to put a new diaphragm into a fairly new Briggs carb. It was running the same way in the video. If you pull the carb apart and the diaphragm gasket has any wrinkles, that could be the culprit if the jet(s) are clear.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Carb is probably gummed up. That's what happens when you leave Gas w/ ethanol in it over the winter.

Take the carb off and clean it out as previously stated.

I own a landscaping/lawn care business so I have a little experience with this. At the end of each season, I mix stabil in in my gas tanks and run that through my equipment the last week. Then I drain all of the gas out of the tanks and run the equipment til it dies.

I also run a bottle of gas treatment through the first tank of gas in the spring.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to replace the spark plug too. I replace the plugs every season on all of my equipment. They're so cheap anyways... why not.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Carb is probably gummed up. That's what happens when you leave Gas w/ ethanol in it over the winter.

Take the carb off and clean it out as previously stated.

I own a landscaping/lawn care business so I have a little experience with this. At the end of each season, I mix stabil in in my gas tanks and run that through my equipment the last week. Then I drain all of the gas out of the tanks and run the equipment til it dies.

I also run a bottle of gas treatment through the first tank of gas in the spring.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to replace the spark plug too. I replace the plugs every season on all of my equipment. They're so cheap anyways... why not.
I pulled the carb, dumped the gas, inspected the carb and it looks clean. I'm gonna pull it again next weekend. I out new gas in and it still runs like it was.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Add a heavy dose of carb cleaner to the fresh gas in the tank and let it run for awhile to see if that helps. I recommend B-12 ChemTool, but most name brand cleaner should do, just make it a heavier dose than what is on the label, more won't hurt a thing as long as it's not straight carb cleaner and no gas. Don't get something that say fuel treatment, make sure it is a carbuerator/fuel injector cleaner. If that doesn'rt do it, then disassembly for more in depth cleaning will be needed.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #27

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Heres an update. Last weekend I tore it apart. Dropped the tank, inspected and wiped down the carb. Put new gas in, but it din't help. So today I went to Lowes where I bought it and talked to them. They recommended a carb cleaner and an Ethanol treatment. Tore apart the motor again, sprayed a ton of carb cleaner all over the carb. Dumped the gas put new gas in (just a small amount to run the motor dry)

It ran like crap for 2 minutes then ran like a top. Until I stopped to fill the tank. Now its still sputtering so I'm letting it run through the half tank of gas that I out in it. To see if the treatment works.

Here is the old gas that I let sit in there compared to the gas I dumped today. No shit it wouldn't run correctly.

Here is how it was running before I added more gas
http://youtu.be/nuTszHhqyc8
Attached Thumbnails
Diagnose me/Fix me-uploadfromtaptalk1362269326491.jpg   Diagnose me/Fix me-uploadfromtaptalk1362269342929.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #28

Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Alright I think I figured this out. The butterfly valve that regulates the fuel input isn't opening all the way, when I pull the spring it opens up and sounds great. And once I play with the valve spring the valve stays open. And the motor runs perfectly