Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

chainsaw experts? bar oiling.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
chainsaw experts? bar oiling.

i have an Echo chainsaw. the thing is pretty powerful. it cuts like a rabid beaver.

but it seems to leak more oil from below the bar, than what appears to actually make it onto the bar. i tinkered with the adjustment screw and turned it down. i can get the tiniest oil spray slinging from the chain onto a clean piece of wood..so the chain and bar is getting some oil. but what gushes out the bottom is amazing. just a quick rev to sling oil onto the clean wood will leave the bottom of the saw dripping. it is clearly squeezing out between the bar, and the body of the chainsaw. i have the bar clamped down pretty tight to the body with the two nuts. i wiped everything down. the mating surface between the body (i know which is the oiler hole) and the bar is super clean. nothing is wedging them apart.

is this normal? the only thing i can think of is: at my bowrange i was using my saw to clear the 80 yard target. the range master, without asking, just grabbed my saw from me and attacked a tree. he clearly was not a great tree cutter, because he seized the saw into the tree and we had to "rescue" it with a range saw (craftman). when i got the saw back the chain did not move smoothly. he tweeked the chain, and i had to toss it. maybe he bent the bar a bit?

i think the Craftman saw they have at the range are woefully inadequate..and dangerous. i'd rather use my own saw, that i am familiar with.

any tips? try a new bar? help me you wood burning friends!! i'm just a weekend chainsawer..doing yardwork. not my expertise.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
r0b2008 is on a distinguished road
r0b2008's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a air compressor run your blow gun from the sprocket down to the end on both sides of your bar, or use a small flat screw driver there maybe some chud in the bar.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I did this with a chainsaw. I guess you don't want my help now huh?
Attached Thumbnails
chainsaw experts? bar oiling.-033.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yea..i did that..i made a brush with a piece of bicycle brake cable. my bar groove is spotless. i followed up with a blast of air from the compressor.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
tom!!! egads!

dont make me show you my table saw thumb!!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I have a "table saw arm". Kickbacks are not fun, I guess you know that.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
well....
Not to be that guy ....
it could be the Saw, Echo is home owner grade, not really know for their ... amazingness
the are really designed for being used several times a year after storm clean up and such
there is a really good chance that it is just the quality of the saw....
has it always been doing this? or only recently?
the bar oiler is a classic ex of where some brands cut the edges to try and save some money.

here is some food for thought,
there are some out there that have no problems useing veggi oil vs bar oil, does the same thing, I personally use Sthil oil for my saw.... but I am a snow, the point I am trying to make is that even if it is leaking oil you can use other products

also, for the cost of what it might cost you to take it to a shop you can be most of the way towards a solid shil or husky saw

good luck