Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

HELP! I need a straight answer about building a wall.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
and the new ACQ formula eats fasteners but what do I know
This. Doesnt mean i will use non treated wood on slabs though. Straight from simpson strong tie website-

Are these alternative products more corrosive than CCA-C?

Testing has indicated that some of the alternative products are more corrosive to steel and some protective coatings applied over steel than Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA-C). Contact the treated wood chemical supplier for more information and see te Preservative Treated Wood Technical Bulletin (PDF).
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Why has no one mentioned the #1 key to building an interior wall? all the studs need to be crowned the same direction.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
until they form humps in your wallz

silly carpenters
Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
This. Doesnt mean i will use non treated wood on slabs though.
Sill gasket
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sill gasket
Vapor barrier... although if you don't know how the house was built, then the gasket isn't a bad idea. I'd still use PT for the sill though, call it habit.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Crowning studs is proper practice
You build crazy custom homes, i would be crowning studs and making sure everything is perfect if i was doing this. I do production framing, the faster the better, i never crown studs. If im framing a wall and the stud is crowned real bad i wont use it.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Sill gasket
Sill seal and PT
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Vapor barrier... although if you don't know how the house was built, then the gasket isn't a bad idea. I'd still use PT for the sill though, call it habit.
vapour

and it doesn't matter , sill gasket under and non treated lumber in contact with concrete
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You build crazy custom homes, i would be crowning studs and making sure everything is perfect if i was doing this. I do production framing, the faster the better, i never crown studs. If im framing a wall and the stud is crowned real bad i wont use it.
Takes the same amount of time , when you pick up the stud sight it and assemble the wall crown up
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #32

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sill seal and PT
Not a fan
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #33
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Step away for dinner and I get a flood of answers. After reading all the answers here's my plan.

Sill gasket, double top as the floor joists are 20 on center and the wall will be 16, snug but no pressure on the joists especially on the exterior wall, tapcons, framing nails, measure twice and cut once.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Takes the same amount of time , when you pick up the stud sight it and assemble the wall crown up
this

even though no one does it. skills diminishing due to lack of properly trained union labour
Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #35

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
Step away for dinner and I get a flood of answers. After reading all the answers here's my plan.

Sill gasket, double top as the floor joists are 20 on center and the wall will be 16, snug but no pressure on the joists especially on the exterior wall, tapcons, framing nails, measure twice and cut once.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
this

even though no one does it. skills diminishing due to lack of properly trained union labour
.... Lol lets not get into that
Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
.... Lol lets not get into that

Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know many people who use union labor for a residential project...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #39

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't know many people who use union labor for a residential project...
labour
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #40

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
labour
I was referring to US unions, so labor. You can add your fancy extra U for Canadian labour