Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

HELP! I need a straight answer about building a wall.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #41
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't know many people who use union labor for a residential project...
LOL...no one
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #42
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
i would like to see you guys crowning studs when you only have 18 months to build 78 houses. Our record was 6 guys 2 house completely framed in two day.
HELP! I need a straight answer about building a wall.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361579779.595489.jpg
Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
i would like to see you guys crowning studs when you only have 18 months to build 78 houses. Our record was 6 guys 2 house completely framed in two day.
Attachment 197180
You said you don't use studs that are too crowned
Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

them houses are weeble wobbles
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #45
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I dont sight every stud. But if i notice its crowned bad without even sighting it use that for blocking
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #46
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont sight every stud. But if i notice its crowned bad without even sighting it use that for blocking
Does your company have a back framing / pick up crew ?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Does your company have a back framing / pick up crew ?
Back framing as in stuff like chases and soffits no, pick up crew as in clean up our messes and scrap, si senor.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #48

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Back framing as in stuff like chases and soffits no, pick up crew as in clean up our messes and scrap, si senor.
Back framing crew , as in come in and fix wrong sized rough openings , straighten crowned walls etc
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #49
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
as far as crowning and bowing goes, I am meticulous and will go through stacks for hours just to find the straightest pieces of lumber.

i'm probably going to calculate and buy the lumber this weekend. Then frame the next weekend.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Back framing crew , as in come in and fix wrong sized rough openings , straighten crowned walls etc
Oh lol well when speed is the focus, mistakes are bound to happen but we aren't complete hacks. There was one instance where the first floor exterior walls were framed backwards had to change a few ROs on that one lol
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #51
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Forget the PT bottom plate and put sill gasket under the bottom plate unless you want arsenic in your house for some reason , the top plate doesn't need to be doubled if the joists are directly above the studs
You guys still use arsenic in your treated up there?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh lol well when speed is the focus, mistakes are bound to happen but we aren't complete hacks. There was one instance where the first floor exterior walls were framed backwards had to change a few ROs on that one lol
All out speed is false economy and results in crappy results that plague everyone else that follows the framers

It doesn't take anymore time to do stuff as simple as crowning studs and makes all the difference

Surely you crown joists and rafters
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #53

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
CCA was replaced by ACQ in most applications a few years back , except for plywood
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #54
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
CCA was replaced by ACQ in most applications a few years back , except for plywood
We use Copper Azole, found the ACQ to be to corrosive. It's not much better tho, still need hot dipped for stainless for exterior. They say not required indoors, but meh .. I wouldn't risk it.

And aye non-treated and use, http://webtrack.dunnlumber.com/Produ...pg=0&pid=23935 for some reason not showing the 3.5".
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #55

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We use Copper Azole, found the ACQ to be to corrosive. It's not much better tho, still need hot dipped for stainless for exterior. They say not required indoors, but meh .. I wouldn't risk it.

And aye non-treated and use, http://webtrack.dunnlumber.com/Produ...pg=0&pid=23935 for some reason not showing the 3.5".
You carry borate treated BlueWood ?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #57

Quote:
All out speed is false economy and results in crappy results that plague everyone else that follows the framers

It doesn't take anymore time to do stuff as simple as crowning studs and makes all the difference

Yes of course i crown joist and rafters. And i agree with you, i have had to trim some crappy framing jobs, it takes twice as long and comes out like crap. But when you have a strict deadline and budget speed is the name of the game, ill be the first to admit that those houses sucked, but the project mangers were only worried about money, not how nice the houses came out. We contracted jobs for the state when they were building assisted living complexes, these wernt high end homes. I do not prefer to build like this at all. My posts in this thread really have no benifit to the OP so i am going to stop threadjacking
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
as far as crowning and bowing goes, I am meticulous and will go through stacks for hours just to find the straightest pieces of lumber.

i'm probably going to calculate and buy the lumber this weekend. Then frame the next weekend.
plain it all

Quote:
they still sell asbestos.....what do you think?

Quote:

Quote:
You carry borate treated BlueWood ?

I wish
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #59

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
plain it all
they still sell asbestos.....what do you think?

I wish
Plane

Asbestos mining is all shut down
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #60
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Plane

Asbestos mining is all shut down

aboot time