Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Good Welding Macine

Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
OP, to stay in a decent price range, you may want to look into a used welder on craigslist. You can usually find decent bigger welders for around 500. That's about the minimum you will spend though. I'm planning to get a welder generator like a miller bobcat, but the cheapest I've seen them is about 2000.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
I've been welding for a lot of years, and only in the past few years have I trusted my welds to hold up to the abuse I put my truck through, get your welder (miller or Lincoln 220V IMO) a good grinder, chop saw, some magnets, a good welding helmet... And start by building a cart to hold all of it, then maybe a welding table, and any other project you can think of that don't have any liability attached to it before building a bumper, when you have good beads with good penitration and you can cut a straight line with a zip disc (harder than it sounds) then start tackling bigger things. Arc welders are great, I learned with one but a 220v 180A+ mig will be a lot easier to use

if i have a place to work on cars with no electrical connections, can these be run off a generator? what generator requirments would i need?

so im clear, the welders youre suggesting are in the $2k range right? Like a Miller 212? I looked at Lincolns site...they make a ton of models which are all around the same price.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
The Miller 211 can be had around 1K
Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew5387 View Post
I am looking into buying a welding machine so I can make some bumpers and what not for my truck and some friends trucks. What would be a reliable machine that doesn't break the bank? Anything tips or tricks would be helpful too.
I have Hobart 140 (its 110V). Running that from 5000 W Generator and it will easily burn through 1/4 steel like butter. Not many people know that key to welder is power source. Many people spend money on 220V welder than have no place to hook it up.
I went with Hobart + Generator combo so i can move places and have generator that can really handle welds.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
MojaveMadman is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: Chris
MojaveMadman's Tacoma Gallery
Hobart 187!!! It's a 220 volt machine, I got it off amazon for $600 with free shipping. These things run close to $1K at the welding store. Also Hobart is owned by Miller so you can bet most of the stuff under the hood is Miller these days. I have had mine for 2 years now and run the shit out of it, never let me down!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
Mr. Annoying is on a distinguished road
Mr. Annoying's Tacoma Gallery
I had a century , died less than a year, sears exchanged it for my Lincoln 180(?) get the bigger gas cylinder (4 foot tall) 110 is good 220 is better as with all tools don" t go cheap
I just bought an eastwood tw200ac/dc tig ill let you know how that works out
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed some day I'll be able to afford a welder
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Hobart Handler 190 at Tractor Supply for $699
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Lincoln LN25 suitcase powered by Hobart Champion 8000 with 16 Hp Onan. A bit pricey, but as long as you take decent care of it, it will last forever
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
200 amp and use gas. No 120 volt welder will weld 1/4" properly. A stick welder can be bought for a lot lass money much harder to learn and much harder to master but will weld some pretty thick stuff.