Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

To those that have painted your own steel bumpers

Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
To those that have painted your own steel bumpers

I've painted many things before but this will by far be the largest. I ordered a CBI rear plated bumper with swing away and single can carrier. Everything should get here Friday and I'm leaving for Texas hopefully with it on the truck on the 13th this month. So, it needs to be a quick job.

I'm looking to paint it a semi-gloss black, to try and match my front ARB Bumper which came powdercoated. Plan to sand, primer, and rattle can it with the help of an attachable spray gun trigger topper thingamagig or buy an airless spray gun like http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2034087...8#.UTa4y9a0KSo

Here are some of my questions:

Prep Work
  • Should I set up a home made booth or just spray with my garage door open?
  • Best way to hang/mount to paint accurately?
  • What grit to sand with?
  • What to wipe down with after sanding?

Primer
  • Best brands?
  • How many coats?
  • Sanding between coats?
  • How long to sit between coats?

Paint
  • Best brand for particular material and future ware?
  • How many coats?
  • How long to sit between coats?
  • How long to sit after last coat before installation?

Like I said, I'm wanting to try and match my front powder coated bumper. So a semi-gloss with no plans to clear coat is what I'm guessing will work best.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Well for me..mine came primered..but it was scratched up from shipping so cleaned it with acetone..then sprayed on 2-3 coats of self etching primer..then 3 coats of rustoleum bed liner. chacha!(followed directions on can )
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I primered mine with cheap ass primer, then used some spray on Napa textured rock/gravel guard. Holds up better than any allpro powder cost. Zero chips.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I used steel wool to remove any rust on my front and rear bumper and wiper them down it rubbing alcohol. Then I used 2 -3coats of rustoleum self etching primer and 3-4 coats of rustoleoum satin black . I did it in my garage with well ventilation and water heater turned off .I also picked up a $40 paint mask at lowes that worked great . Great results.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
I used cheap primer and dominion sure seal rocker guard, and let it dry thoroughly, I've hit and rubbed 8-10" along a few trees and took the bark off without loosing any paint. I laid out some plastic on my garage floor not to make a mess, sprayed the back, let it dry, flipped it and sprayed the front, let it dry, bolted it on and used it
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Well after all the research I ended up getting a good deal from a local powder coating company and turn around was quick. I couldn't pass it up. Plus, not painting saved me some time to do other stuff I needed to do. This thread would still be good to show off rattle canned or home painted bumpers and how they turned out.