Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Water heater question

Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Water heater question

The pop off valve on my hot water heater seems to open a lot. It is in the garage. I have noticed every now and then a small puddle near the heater where it has gone off. This past week I noticed quite a bit more than normal. I know the valve is doing it's job but I have never had a heater pop off valve open before just curious why the pressure is building so much..Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
temp set to high on the thermostat. Or valve may have a weak spring or bad seal.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Check water pressure. 80 psi or above needs a prv here. Change out t&p,install expansion tank.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
Check water pressure. 80 psi or above needs a prv here. Change out t&p,install expansion tank.
X2^^^^
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks all....I don't have a gage to check water pressure, but the pressure here is better than anywhere else I have ever lived I bet that is what it is.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Well another question would it be ok just to leave it alone or am I looking for more trouble down the road..
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Well another question would it be ok just to leave it alone or am I looking for more trouble down the road..
This problem needs to be fixed, especially with gas water heater.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
This problem needs to be fixed, especially with gas water heater.
I am all electric but advice well taken.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Replace prv with one of correct rating and add expansion tank if not there...
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
It's best to replace it. They are not expensive and are easy to do. Just use some teflon tape or other thread sealer when you install it. Leaving it as is will cost you more in water bills than replacing it. Sometimes the spring can get weak from age. If the new one leaks too, then a pressure regulator may need to be installed to reduce the pressure to the tank if the temperature is set correctly(should be no more than 120* F.)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
this ^^ water heater is done, get a new one
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
jimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nice
jimmy1963's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
temp set to high on the thermostat. Or valve may have a weak spring or bad seal.

x2