Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Can I hose off my front door?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Can I hose off my front door?

And windows for that matter?
I try to keep the outside of the house clean, but wiping everything down takes forever and seems to come back the next day.There's a black soot-like film everywhere. I hosed everything down a few times and that works 100 times better, but I'm sure its bad for the wooden surfaces, and may get water into the wall. How bad is hosing down the front porch, and door?
Do you guys have a better way? Besides just ignoring it?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
I take my pressure washer to both front and back porch never had an issue and i have an older house
Old 03-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I would assume any & all wooden surfaces are painted or stained..... and in good shape. It really shouldn't matter hosing them down. The surfaces are outside and exposed to rain anyway.... and the paint/stain should be the proper paint for outside exposure. You can buy cleansers at Lowes/Home Depot to spray on the surfaces first and hose off.

Try an area that's out of sight and run a TEST. It all depends on a lot of factors - the type of wood, the type of stain/pain, the age of the wood, the age of the paint/stain. etc.

I use a combination of pressure washer & cleansers on the house (alluminum & wood siding). We have T111 siding with stain. We power washed a section of it and it turned a different color (it had faded). We knew.... it was time for a new stain job. We just re-stained it this past summer.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Should be fine , try not to trap bulk water in any of the glazing stops in your windows or doors though , water freezing in there is a primary cause of thermo-pane failure
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
jimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nicejimmy1963 is just really nice
jimmy1963's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.

Bleach, joy, and some trisodium phosphate mixed in a pump sprayer.

Spray it on, brush and hose off with a regular water hose.

Don't leave the mixture to long on glass.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Marc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc702's Tacoma Gallery
Just hosed off my front door this morning. Follow up with a little wipe down. No big deal.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Personally I wouldn't take a hose to a entry wood door but anything else I would including windows.
If it's the exterior side, why not? It gets wet during every rain storm, what's a hose going to do to it?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Marc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If it's the exterior side, why not? It gets wet during every rain storm, what's a hose going to do to it?
That's a damn good point right there.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Should be fine , try not to trap bulk water in any of the glazing stops in your windows or doors though , water freezing in there is a primary cause of thermo-pane failure
^^ ding ding ding
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Just use a little common sense here and you should be good with a garden hose.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
X2. If you get water inside your house, then you now know that your door seal needs repairing in some way.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
greatvalue is on a distinguished road
greatvalue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
X2. If you get water inside your house, then you now know that your door seal needs repairing in some way.
That is true a way to test your seals.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Inswing doors aren't going to keep water out when you spray them with a hose
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Inswing doors aren't going to keep water out when you spray them with a hose
I thought all doors have a rubber seal around them to keep them fairly air tight. Either on the door frame or the door itself.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought all doors have a rubber seal around them to keep them fairly air tight. Either on the door frame or the door itself.
Yep , outswing doors are bullet proof , inswing doors , not so much
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Yep , outswing doors are bullet proof , inswing doors , not so much
Oh ok. I didn't know that. Both of the doors on our house are inswing doors, so I assumed they were just as good at sealing.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh ok. I didn't know that. Both of the doors on our house are inswing doors, so I assumed they were just as good at sealing.
The big difference is at the sill , inswings generally rely on the sweep to contact the sill in order to make a good seal , this is fairly easily defeated by water directed at it by a hose or even high wind , outswing doors close against the bottom sill allowing for a more robust connection
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
The big difference is at the sill , inswings generally rely on the sweep to contact the sill in order to make a good seal , this is fairly easily defeated by water directed at it by a hose or even high wind , outswing doors close against the bottom sill allowing for a more robust connection
That makes perfect sense. I guess I've never really thought about it before.