Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Laminate Flooring project of doom!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #181
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
I'm glad you posted your finished work, it's giving me more motivation to give it a go. Nice job BTW.

I'm really glad you posted this picture, it was one of my specific questions having never played with this stuff:

OK, I understand how to lock in the starting side of the hallway, but how do you attach it on the opposite side you started on, meaning the door jambs? Put them in first and then slide your board into it connecting it to the rest of the hallway?

Seriously, for some reason this has me completely stumped...
That is actually exactly what I did. Once I worked down the entryway, I started coming across, ripping the boards so they would go along the wall, but the bottom edge lined up with the board it was attached to, so I had one straight line wall to wall. Then when I got to my doorways, I used a scrap (You will have some by this point, trust me) to help me mock up the width I would need to rip the filler piece down to. You have to get a little creative with your cutting, but once I had it cut right, I snapped on the small filler piece to the boards that were going along the wall, and installed it all at once. And then I had to do a little tapping to get it all back together.

This kind of gives you an idea. It's doable, but you have to measure and cut carefully so all the edges are concealed by the molding and door jams. Otherwise you get this...

That will get you a night on the couch...
Old 04-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #182
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Great job!!! hi Rocky

You might want to get another box of flooring in case you ever need to replace boards later on. Different lot might not match or if they quit making that specific color.
I'm thinking you are right about that one. I don't want to think about replacing a piece just yet, but I really don't want to think about having to redo the entire floor someday just because a color doesn't match.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #183
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post

The fireplace. That corner piece took a couple tries. I think I am going to try surrounding it with quarter round that matches the floor color to give it more of a finished look. We will see what happens.
we have one of these corners by our fireplace too...I have a feeling I'll be wasting a few pieces trying to "perfect" it...lol
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #184
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
we have one of these corners by our fireplace too...I have a feeling I'll be wasting a few pieces trying to "perfect" it...lol
I was all nice and cocky about how I was going to use my fancy laser guided Miter Saw to make the cuts...then I found out the pieces wouldn't fit in to cut. Believe it or don't, that too was all done with a table saw...mostly freehanded...
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #185
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
The student becomes the master! Nice work buddy. Seems like just the other day I was giving you starting advice and hints. And now you're done and it looks awesome. For being a laminate it really is an awesome floor. I get compliments every time someone comes over and looks at it. Once again, nice work.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #186
Minimum Wage!

I'm back from vacation and back to work. I just took my vents out and dissembled them, and they are going to get a new coat of paint to match the trim and new molding better. We got new oak baseboards that need a little sanding and staining, and this has lead to new blinds. It doesn't ever stop does it?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #187
Minimum Wage!

And Oz, if you are out there, I will most likely be picking your brain for questions regarding baseboards and coping saws...
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #188
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Ill be set up for trim tomorrow, if i have some extra time i can take a few pictures and show you how i do baseboard
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #189
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Ill be set up for trim tomorrow, if i have some extra time i can take a few pictures and show you how i do baseboard
That would be awesome. The stuff I ripped out was all miter cut at 45 degree angles, but I'm hearing from multiple sources that I don't want that and I should "cope" instead. After many descriptions (and me telling people I am a a visual learner), I just need to see it.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #190
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And Oz, if you are out there, I will most likely be picking your brain for questions regarding baseboards and coping saws...
Sure

Cut a 45 bevel across the piece of base with the long part of the bevel on the rear of the base

This will " outline " the profile of the base

Take your coping saw and cut along the edge of the outine

Slightly back beveling the cut with the coping saw helps
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #191
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Sure

Cut a 45 bevel across the piece of base with the long part of the bevel on the rear of the base

This will " outline " the profile of the base

Take your coping saw and cut along the edge of the outine

Slightly back beveling the cut with the coping saw helps
Visualizing this and trying to understand this is harder than learning Spanish...
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #192
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Visualizing this and trying to understand this is harder than learning Spanish...
It will be obvious when you see it

When you cut a 45 degree ( or any angle ) bevel across a profiled piece of trim , it will leave the hills and valleys of the trim profile at the edge of the cut , essentially the negative of the trim profile

If you square off this profile it will butt into the adjoining piece of trim
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #193
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It will be obvious when you see it

I think that is what my dad told me when we had "The talk".

I'm starting to make a little sense of it. My baseboard just doesn't have to complicated of a design. I think before I trash the last of the old stuff I am going to practice on them, and then when I install new stuff I'm going to start with the closets.

When doing and outside corner I just use a 45 degree miter right?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #194
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Is it going to be painted?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #195

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When doing and outside corner I just use a 45 degree miter right?
Yes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #196
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Is it going to be painted?
We are going to stain it. We are starting with unfinished oak.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #197

Quote:
We are going to stain it. We are starting with unfinished oak.
That will make it a little trickier, buts it not hard you will pick it up quick. Try watching some youtube videos. The process is pretty much the same for any profile. What is the profile, is it clamshell?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #198
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
That will make it a little trickier, buts it not hard you will pick it up quick. Try watching some youtube videos. The process is pretty much the same for any profile. What is the profile, is it clamshell?
Colonial?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #200
Minimum Wage!

Thanks Oz.