Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Laminate Flooring project of doom!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #241
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
I've got some corners near my fireplace that are 125 degrees and I don't want the trim to look like ass (Even though it's not really a noticeable corner). I'm stumped...
We talking baseboard ?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #242
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
We talking baseboard ?
Yeah, same stuff I posted in the picture of the 90 degree cope.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #243
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, same stuff I posted in the picture of the 90 degree cope.
Did you try using a 90 degree coped piece in the 130 degree corner ?

it should work
Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #244
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Ahh, I gotta get that 45 degree cut on the backside of it as well don't I? Time to go play in the sawdust some more and see if this works...
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #245
Minimum Wage!

Marginal success if that. I think Uncle Knackers was working with softer material than oak.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #246

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Marginal success if that. I think Uncle Knackers was working with softer material than oak.
It's a 130 degree inside corner correct ?

ie sharper than a 90 ?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #247
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
It's a 130 degree inside corner correct ?

ie sharper than a 90 ?

The small back corner against the wall (not the fireplace, that is getting quarter round liquid nailed to it). The smallest peice that you wedge in there that will only be visible to a wife.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #248

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The small back corner against the wall (not the fireplace, that is getting quarter round liquid nailed to it). The smallest peice that you wedge in there that will only be visible to a wife.
Oh , my bad , I was thinking the other way

In that case , it will be easiest to mitre the piece

In order to cope it you would need to back bevel the piece slightly steeper than the angle they meet at
Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #249
Minimum Wage!

That's what I was thinking. Oddly enough, you, Evan, and Millertime have all become sort of the voice of flooring authority in my house. It's quite surreal...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #250
Minimum Wage!

The outside 90 degree corners might be the end of me...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #251

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The outside 90 degree corners might be the end of me...
Mitres
Old 05-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #252
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mitres
^^This
Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #253
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
*Miters
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #254
Minimum Wage!

Just the frustration of having a 13 foot 8 inch peice that you somehow managed to cut to 13 foot and 7 3/4 inches...
Old 05-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #255

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just the frustration of having a 13 foot 8 inch peice that you somehow managed to cut to 13 foot and 7 3/4 inches...
Are you having troubles getting an accurate measurement or just made a mistake when cutting ?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #256
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Are you having troubles getting an accurate measurement or just made a mistake when cutting ?
I was having issues because the plaster on the drywall was curved in and beat up near the bottom of the wall, and I took my measurements based on that. I finally bit the bullet and a friend of mine came over who has experience doing this kind of thing. He gave my ass a much needed kick and now I am 99% finished...plus with the warp on some of the boards I really needed a second set of hands on the 13 foot plus pieces....
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #258
Minimum Wage!

I'll upload some new pictures in the near future. I redid some of the transitions now we need to do a little touch up with some putty in places and put some silicone down at doorways. I am very much looking forward to having a living room again.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #259
Minimum Wage!

Here is how of some of the quarter round went down in the kitchen around the cabinets.

I was able to get the corners dialed in a lot easier with this stuff.

Naturally my best coped corners are in the closets...I am impressed with how well we matched the colors though. I really like how it all came together.

One of the vents that I painted back in place with the trim up next to it. Looks worlds better than the dirty white that it was.

I trimmed the gap around the fireplace with a smaller quarter round to give it a more finished look. I like how it came out. We used liquid nails to hold it to the fireplace, it's not attached to the laminate anywhere. I just have a little cleanup to do on that one. It's not bad though.

The 14 foot piece down the hallway. My friend helped me with this one and we were able to get it in nicely. Although it was a little tough making the turn to get a 14 foot piece around the corner into the hallway. Good thing I have vaulted ceilings.

Redid the transition into the bedroom. Sad thing is this picture helps me realize how beat up my old trim and door frames are.

So that brings you up to date with where I am. I think all that i really have left to do is seal the pieces around the entryways with silicone and putty a few small cracks along the way. The wife wants to start cleaning and moving back in tomorrow. I'll be impressed if we get that all done in one day...lol
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #260
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Damn nice job! It came out really good!