Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Laminate Flooring project of doom!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
You do not want to run the laminate under the cabinets and have them sitting on the flooring. The laminate needs room to expand and contract, it needs to float or just sit. Anchoring it down with the weight of cabinets or not allowing a gap around the perimeter as per instructions can lead to problems. As for the vapor barrier its cheap insurance and easy to do. Your product may have it built into the pad.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
Aaah this brings back dark memories haha. I did about 2700 square feet worth of laminate flooring in my parents house to help finish off paying for my taco last year. One tool that quickly became my best friend was an oscillating tool like this:

It'll come in handy for cutting the wood under the cabinets and especially when doing the door jams. Just a suggestion though
good luck!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #23
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I can see where that tool would be handy. Too bad I didn't think of it when I did mine. Might have to add one to my arsenal.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Yea there very handy but for some reason they do burn up quick. I've went threw a couple of them doing hardwood floors(door jams)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Yea there very handy but for some reason they do burn up quick. I've went threw a couple of them doing hardwood floors(door jams)
The blade? or the whole tool?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if its been mentioned yet or not (don't flame me if it has) but laminate does not go well in "wet" areas of the house. Kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms are better served to have tile.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
Yersinia pestis
Glueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Glueman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm basically doing the same thing as the OP right now but just replacing my laminate floor with a new one. My cabinets also sit on a particle board layer that is over the plywood sub floor. I took out most of the old particle board in the kitchen because it got wet and warped. Used a vibration saw to get up close to the cabinet bases (and a wood chisel...pain in the ass!). I'm leaving the old linoleum that is in other spots as the floor company said was okay.

Get a door jam saw from Home depot or somewhere to help get doorway ready to lay the laminate underneath. Make sure you pay attention to the level of the floor. Laminate "floats" so its important to make sure all areas are the same level.

Good luck! It'll be great when it's done.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobigindi View Post
The blade? or the whole tool?
It's the tool but they were used on a couple house each. I think we went threw 3 in like 9 months.

They are great tools tho'
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Been looking into doing this in my whole main floor, minus a couple bedrooms. It would be kitchen dining room living room hallway to front door. Right now its all carpet except kitchen, which is linuleum. I know its not best to have laminate in areas where it can get wet, but I absolutely hate the flooring there now. I have been looking into different laminate options. I don't know anything about thickness though. Is 7mm good or bad?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
I've got a little way to go...

i know how ya feel
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
My wife and I have finally given in and are replacing the institutional grade cheap carpet and linoleum that came with our house with some nice laminate flooring. We are redoing the kitchen, living room, hallway, and entry way floors. There was carpet in the living room and hallway and linoleum (black and white checkerboard, uhg) in the entryway and kitchen. We got a great deal on the flooring from Sam's Club, comes with a built in pad, so it's ready to go. The downside is they offer no installation options so we are on our own (aside of hiring someone I suppose). My ultimate goal is to have nice consistant flooring in all of the above mentioned spaces. And too look good afterward.

I am getting up the carpet, pad, spike strips, and staples without a huge issue. But when I got to the linoleum in the entryway, I found the quarter inch layer of wood under it. I guess I shouldn't have been to surprised and I was able to pry it up and get to the subfloor.. So then onward to the kitchen...I find that flooring also has the same layer under it, agian should have seen it coming. And THEN I find out that the home builders installed all of the flooring and slapped the cabinets on top of it. So the wood layer and the flooring all run under the cabinets. So What I'm wondering is that are my worse nightmares going to come true and the floor cabinets are going to have to come out? Do I just tear out up to the base of the cabinets and then do some really really precise cutting to remove the underlayment up to the cabinets? From what I have read, laminate is not supposed to go under cabinets, so removing everything would then lower my cabinets so I would be re-installing something anyway to raise them back up. Or...do I have to lay underlayment over the entire subfloor for all the rooms before I install the laminate?

Any advice, pointers, sympathy, bitching, or whatever would be appreciated! I have a habit of diving right into a job and learning whatever I can as a I crash and burn!
dude, you can PM me.. heck, even call me if ya needed. i just installed that same flooring from Sam's Club in a bedroom, hallway, dining room, and i have the kitchen left.

Hint: it only goes together ONE way. You need the lower lip going under like the picture shows (little one page handout in the flooring box). While you're insterting the piece at an angle you start tapping your hammer and block and you'll notice it "clicking together" It does NOT just click together like most thin, cheap laminate floorings.

I'll post some pics soon of my flooring. We almost gave up on it. But once you "get it", it's awesome flooring.

I hope you have a table saw, chop saw, multi tool (for door jams), pull bar and tapping block. FYI: you need 3/8 inch spacing around the floor to your baseboards. The Home Depot gives you free floor samples of laminate flooring. And guess what? They are 3/8 inch thickness.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

kinda looks the same huh?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

looks like crap
Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #35
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

but once ya get it, it's really nice flooring
Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #36
2011 TX TRD Offroad

Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
And reasons like this are why I love this forum! I may PM you for your number later. Right now I have a minor delay thanks to the snowstorm, but hopefully I will have the remainder of my old flooring out in a week or so. I do have an issue of some areas of my subfloor that need replacing. I am progressing though. I am still working on rounding up tools as well. Your list sounded a lot like mine and that is encouraging!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Been looking into doing this in my whole main floor, minus a couple bedrooms. It would be kitchen dining room living room hallway to front door. Right now its all carpet except kitchen, which is linuleum. I know its not best to have laminate in areas where it can get wet, but I absolutely hate the flooring there now. I have been looking into different laminate options. I don't know anything about thickness though. Is 7mm good or bad?
From what I've read, thicker is better and 7 is one of the lowest. However, it all depends greatly on your area, traffic (foot traffic, not Tacomas), and things like that. The stuff that myself and Cmurder have is 14mm thick, which was the thickest my wife and I found while shopping around. It's also rated for heavy residential/light commercial usage. We figured with the fact that we are trying to start a family and have a 100 pound hyperactive Labrador retriever, that the heaviest was the best for us. It also sounds like the thicker flooring is a little trickier to work with though, which is what brings me here.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #39
Minimum Wage!

Flooring under or around kitchen appliances?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #40

Laminate goes under the frig and stove but not under the dishwasher, just run it deep enough so the dishwasher toe kick covers the edge.

So you get the fun of moving those two out and discovering ??? the mother of all dust bunnies? lost cooking utensils?, winning lottery ticket that has expired?