Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Laminate Flooring project of doom!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #41
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Fortunately we had the fridge out last year for some painting and I cleaned behind it then. But I'm guessing with the dog I will still find some impressive clumps of hair back there. The stove I'm more worried about. I'm not even sure how to take that thing out.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #42
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
Fortunately we had the fridge out last year for some painting and I cleaned behind it then. But I'm guessing with the dog I will still find some impressive clumps of hair back there. The stove I'm more worried about. I'm not even sure how to take that thing out.
Stove should just be sitting there
Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
It's gas though, don't I have to disconnect a line or something?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #44
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It's gas though, don't I have to disconnect a line or something?
It should have a disconnect and valve behind stove and the line should be long so you can pull out to get behind.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #45
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post

kinda looks the same huh?
Here's mine:

We're tiling the kitchen and family room. Weighs about 1 ton.
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate Flooring project of doom!-tile.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #46
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Here's mine:

We're tiling the kitchen and family room. Weighs about 1 ton.
I see you have the most important tool sitting on top of the stack there...

I have also discovered that my circular saw's cutting depth is adjustable. That made removal and replacement of a damaged part of the subfloor seem so much less imposing...(still not happy about it though)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #47
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Laminate goes under the frig and stove but not under the dishwasher, just run it deep enough so the dishwasher toe kick covers the edge.

So you get the fun of moving those two out and discovering ??? the mother of all dust bunnies? lost cooking utensils?, winning lottery ticket that has expired?
My wife has this overwhelming fear that I am going to block the old dishwasher in. I feel like I am asking a lot of dumb questions here, but like I said, this is how I learn. Is this a legitimate fear if I just run the flooring up to the toe kick?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #48
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
You will still be able to get the dishwasher out either way no problem. Is there room underneath the toe kick? If so pull it off and run your flooring underneath where the toe kick will be, even just a half inch. So when you put the toe kick back on you wont be able to see your cut.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see you have the most important tool sitting on top of the stack there...
That was my treat for moving and stacking 1 ton of tile. Of course, it's also my treat when I do absolutely nothing.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #50
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
That was my treat for moving and stacking 1 ton of tile. Of course, it's also my treat when I do absolutely nothing.
That was how I felt when I brought in all those packages of Laminate. 1 felt a little to light, 2 was almost to heavy. Like it or not, took about 40 trips back and forth. Making progress though...
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #51
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
We normally suck up enough hair each month from the old Lab (Guinness is her name, Guinness Extra Stout) to make a new dog.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
Get the the original. Fein Tool
http://www.feinus.com/en_us/oscillat...r-top-0297187/
We used the hell out of one these and it just keeps going. You get what you pay for. Great tool with endless uses.

My Fein MultiMaster is the favorite tool of my arsenal. It's well built, made in Germany. I got it before all the other brands came out, but it feels like it's made of billet compared to the other examples I see at the store.

These are powerful tools. I can have a completely stripped bit, and it will technically still cut through nails (even though the bit begins glowing red)..
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #53
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, fein tools are awesome, worth the extra money vs. all the knockoffs, i have had mine for 2 or 3 years now. Although if you are a weekend warrior and dont use it often you can get one from harbor freight for like $30 haha. Fein blades are expensive but now they make adapters so you can use blades from all the knockoffs, i ushually buy the dremel blades now but they dont last as long as fein blades. Probably one of the most handy tools when your doing any kind of flooring.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #54
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Getting ready to do the same thing with some pre-finished 3/4" random width flooring in the next 6 months or so ... not too excited about starting this job ...

Good luck on your project ... watching your job for any tips that I can absorb ...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #55
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
I went under my fridge because you can see the space around it on both sides. As for my stove I placed the back 2 legs on scrap pieces. Then put flooring under the front about 6 inches. Lazy? Maybe. But I didn't feel like covering the stove area. And i just left a 1/4 inch between the floor and the dishwasher. Looks fine to me.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #56
Minimum Wage!

I made some progress today...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #57
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post
I went under my fridge because you can see the space around it on both sides. As for my stove I placed the back 2 legs on scrap pieces. Then put flooring under the front about 6 inches. Lazy? Maybe. But I didn't feel like covering the stove area. And i just left a 1/4 inch between the floor and the dishwasher. Looks fine to me.
The fridge is not a huge issue, it's just going to be more tedious than anything. I found out how to remove the front plate from my dishwasher so I'm not concerned about that one either now. I'll run the flooring about an inch under the plate. It was quite disgusting though seeing the underside of my dishwasher though. My house is getting quite the cleaning out of this. The stove is still my area of concern. I got it broken loose from the floor (years of greasy crust had kind of sealed it in) and I moved it out a little so I could look behind it. I saw the gas line but I didn't see much in the way of a valve or anything. I'm wondering if that is in the crawlspace. I would like to get it all the way out for cleaning if nothing else. So I'll keep looking and see what I can figure out. As of now, the last of the laminate that will come out is still under there. Everything else is gone. Now it's just underlayment to go, and then the subfloor repair starts.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #58

Quote:
The fridge is not a huge issue, it's just going to be more tedious than anything. I found out how to remove the front plate from my dishwasher so I'm not concerned about that one either now. I'll run the flooring about an inch under the plate. It was quite disgusting though seeing the underside of my dishwasher though. My house is getting quite the cleaning out of this. The stove is still my area of concern. I got it broken loose from the floor (years of greasy crust had kind of sealed it in) and I moved it out a little so I could look behind it. I saw the gas line but I didn't see much in the way of a valve or anything. I'm wondering if that is in the crawlspace. I would like to get it all the way out for cleaning if nothing else. So I'll keep looking and see what I can figure out. As of now, the last of the laminate that will come out is still under there. Everything else is gone. Now it's just underlayment to go, and then the subfloor repair starts.
There usually right there where it comes threw the floor. Yea check craw space, follow line see what ya come up with. It's amazing how much dirt ends up under stuff.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #59
Minimum Wage!

I'm currently doing the hammer and chisel method around my cabinets...this sucks!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #60
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm currently doing the hammer and chisel method around my cabinets...this sucks!!!
Sucker for punishment