Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Laminate Flooring project of doom!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #81
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
I'm having a fat rum and Coke to take the edge off tonight. This has not been and easy project but I'm just glad to see it progressing...
In the end you will be even more proud!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #82
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers

Work in progress...

But I have a floor now...

The sad thing is I think I am noticing some mold on my crawlspace...Add that to the to-do list...
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #83
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
The final spot in the subfloor is repaired! I am now in the final prep for laying floor! Trimming door jams, finding final staples, leveling stuff, and I have a dehumidifier down in my crawlspace sucking moisture as we speak. I found some water down there, but I never did find a leak. I'm thinking it might be a worthy investment just to have a plumber over to check it out. I'm ready for vacation...
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #84
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The final spot in the subfloor is repaired! I am now in the final prep for laying floor! Trimming door jams, finding final staples, leveling stuff, and I have a dehumidifier down in my crawlspace sucking moisture as we speak. I found some water down there, but I never did find a leak. I'm thinking it might be a worthy investment just to have a plumber over to check it out. I'm ready for vacation...
... ^^^ ... Don't whimp out ... ... double your age, then add 4 more (think Route 66) ... then start your projects all over again ...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #85
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

my fireplace stone is all jagged. can't place a piece of trim to cover the gap. so this is what i'll be doing.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #86
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

after pic. you'll get it done buddy
Old 04-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #87
Minimum Wage!

First off, this is what you get when you borrow a car trailer for storage of household furniture from a Ford/Shelby aficionado...

Classy...

SECOND...I am looking at the main and rear doorway to the house and I am seeing this:

I am thinking that piece of wood should be removable and I should be able to take it out, place the flooring, and then re-install it with some level of modification. Does that look right?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #88
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Work in progress...

But I have a floor now...

The sad thing is I think I am noticing some mold on my crawlspace...Add that to the to-do list...
Pressure treated joists ?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #89
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Pressure treated joists ?
They would appear to be...Along with moldy. The dehumidifier has sucked a couple gallons of water out of the crawlspace. My next project is cleaning the crawlspace and replacing the vapor barrier.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #90
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They would appear to be...Along with moldy. The dehumidifier has sucked a couple gallons of water out of the crawlspace. My next project is cleaning the crawlspace and replacing the vapor barrier.
Is there adequate ventilation ? or is it heated ?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #91
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post

my fireplace stone is all jagged. can't place a piece of trim to cover the gap. so this is what i'll be doing.
You actually have to undercut the stone hearth. That way there wont be any gap.

Quote:
SECOND...I am looking at the main and rear doorway to the house and I am seeing this:

I am thinking that piece of wood should be removable and I should be able to take it out, place the flooring, and then re-install it with some level of modification. Does that look right?
It look like a threshold and a quarter round? Bring those to where ever you brought your wood from and tell them you want the exact same thing and matching your floors.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #92
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Is there adequate ventilation ? or is it heated ?
I have 6 vents in my foundation, they are temperature sensitive though. They seem to spend the majority of the time closed. I don't have any insulation along the subfloor, so the house heats the crawlspace.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #93
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaCon View Post
It look like a threshold and a quarter round? Bring those to where ever you brought your wood from and tell them you want the exact same thing and matching your floors.
I'm going to try to remove on my next day off (Tuesday) and see what I get. Hopefully I can remove them without destroying them.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #94

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have any insulation along the subfloor, so the house heats the crawlspace.
There's your problem
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #95
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if it's been mentioned, I didn't read the entire thread. But, the layer of wood you found under your vinyl is called Luan. It's a thin, and very smooth layer of wood we use under a few types of flooring because the subfloor isn't smooth enough. Vinyl, and VCT are common floors that we put Luan under when going over wood subfloors.

It appears that you already have plenty of help in here, so all I wanted to say was good luck in your installation!

Experience: I've been laying carpet, vinyl, VCT and Hardwood for 15 years.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #96
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, I didn't read the entire thread. But, the layer of wood you found under your vinyl is called Luan. It's a thin, and very smooth layer of wood we use under a few types of flooring because the subfloor isn't smooth enough. Vinyl, and VCT are common floors that we put Luan under when going over wood subfloors.

It appears that you already have plenty of help in here, so all I wanted to say was good luck in your installation!

Experience: I've been laying carpet, vinyl, VCT and Hardwood for 15 years.
Stick around! It's bound to get interesting!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #97
Minimum Wage!

I can't get this out.

It looks like it is all attached as one piece once I got that covering off. There were two long wood screws holding it down, but once I got those off it losened it up a bit, but I can't seem to do anything to remove it. Should I just install the flooring around it? I'd hate to come this far and have it look shoddy...
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #98
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Yea probably part of door frame. Just make your flooring as tight as you can and may have to get small 1/4 round to hide crack.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #99
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Yea probably part of door frame. Just make your flooring as tight as you can and may have to get small 1/4 round to hide crack.
If I space it to the wall the way i am supposed to it comes up pretty close to it. Could I lay it and seal it when I am done? Judging by the massive amounts of crap I have cleaned off and out of it, that has been done a time or two already.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #100
Minimum Wage!

I put in the first piece with the spacers and it lines right up with the threshold. I mean, RIGHT up to it.

Steps will be made to make that doorframe look a little nicer, but is this okay?