Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Laminate Flooring project of doom!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #121
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
So after doing battle with the hallway wall in a way I'd almost rather not admit, this happened...

And then I looked at the other side, and this happened...

So after a nice motivational speech from my wife about how this is not okay, this is why we should have had a professional do it, now I've ruined the floor, the house, the project, the flooring of her dream, and her life, we are currently residing in separate rooms and I'm debating if there is a way to fix this or if I should just tear it out and start over. It seems like there should be a way to fit something in the one lengthwise gap and secure it with wood glue or something. As for the other, maybe a putty or something?
Rip a piece , make sure it's gonna fit and drop it in with some glue
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #122
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't want to take it out and cut another one do what oz said, and for the little gap maybe just use some brown caulk. No big deal. You will get the hang of it, i bet your next piece that goes under the casing will come out better.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #123
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
^ is the way to go if you dont want to take it out and cut a "L".

Cut the middle of the door and place that T underneath.

imgur
Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #125
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
You have to cut a smaller piece and then use a small pry bar to "click" them together. Use putty or brown caulk to cover the crack at the door trim.

Instead of cutting the threshold... cut the center piece. Then put it in between.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #126
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaCon View Post
You have to cut a smaller piece and then use a small pry bar to "click" them together. Use putty or brown caulk to cover the crack at the door trim.

Instead of cutting the threshold... cut the center piece. Then put it in between.

If you cut it like this, you'll still be left with a gap in the center of the door frame that the threshold is not under. It's not difficult to notch a threshold, and the threshold is much cheaper then a door frame. Your wife wants it done right, notch the threshold.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #127
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Laminate Flooring project of doom!

I would just cut a perfect piece and glue it in. But if you have any other doorways trim just a little on the bottom so flooring will slide underneath.

On the wife, they will always find something to get mad about!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #128
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
The transition piece ended up not lined up with the center because the carpet got trimmed just a touch to far back. When I mocked it up before I put everything in, that was about as far forward as I could put it with it still covering the carpet. I do have the door jams trimmed so the flooring will slide under, I think this was just the product of poor measuring. My other transitions are fine. I have some remains from pieces that I trimmed lengthwise, so I will probably cut a little piece off, remove the transition, and try to slide it in from the back and tap it in there. I have to work today, so not sure if that will happen today or not.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #129
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The transition piece ended up not lined up with the center because the carpet got trimmed just a touch to far back. When I mocked it up before I put everything in, that was about as far forward as I could put it with it still covering the carpet. I do have the door jams trimmed so the flooring will slide under, I think this was just the product of poor measuring. My other transitions are fine. I have some remains from pieces that I trimmed lengthwise, so I will probably cut a little piece off, remove the transition, and try to slide it in from the back and tap it in there. I have to work today, so not sure if that will happen today or not.
Transition isn't supposed to be center, it's supposed to be under the door. When the door is closed, you should only see either wood, or carpet depending on which side of the door you are standing on. Assuming where you have it is the side the door hangs on, then it's in the right place.

I was talking about the gap between the threshold and the door frame. If you cut the edges with an L, you can make it sit flush.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #130
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Transition isn't supposed to be center, it's supposed to be under the door. When the door is closed, you should only see either wood, or carpet depending on which side of the door you are standing on. Assuming where you have it is the side the door hangs on, then it's in the right place.

I was talking about the gap between the threshold and the door frame. If you cut the edges with an L, you can make it sit flush.
I follow now. I bought an extra case of transition pieces that I figure I will play with somewhere down the line to make that one look a little better. I seem to be having issues measuring stuff and cutting it right. What do you use to cut something like that?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #131
All go, No show

Quote:
I follow now. I bought an extra case of transition pieces that I figure I will play with somewhere down the line to make that one look a little better. I seem to be having issues measuring stuff and cutting it right. What do you use to cut something like that?
I use a miter saw to do most of my cutting, a band saw for custom cuts, and a table saw for long straight cuts. You can do those cuts with any of the above, but the band saw is easiest for small custom cuts.

If you're finding your cuts are short, add a little on your measurements. Just takes a little practice.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #132
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

^^^ What he said. You don't want a strip of carpet showing in hallway when door is closed. I use a jigsaw for small cuts in flooring, like around doors. Instead of measuring last piece in a run, take last piece and spin it around (finish side is up), butt the wall with the factory end you need and mark where the end you're cutting off touches the last piece you put down. If you get what I'm saying, it'll save you time and less room for mistakes. If your cut off isn't too small, use it for the beginning of the next run, or the next.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #133
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished my whole house. Fortunately it's under construction so no doors installed yet or trim. But the biggest tip I would give you is do three rows and take a break for a minute. Walk away and come check your work. It's much simpler to fix that little gap or mistake before you go 10 rows past it.

My floor is glued down so I also found it very useful to lay out three to 6 rows in advance. Then stack them in order of laying and go.

Lastly a spare blade for your chop saw is handy. And wear a mask. The dust is not good for you!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #134
Minimum Wage!

Ha...

To all you haters out there...

Wait, there haven't been any, you've all been really supportive. Onward and upward. Living room starts tomorrow!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #135
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ha...

To all you haters out there...

Wait, there haven't been any, you've all been really supportive. Onward and upward. Living room starts tomorrow!
That works!! Looks good
Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #137
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nicely done! Ill be doing 1000 sq ft next weekend
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #138
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Now putty that crack, and you'll be hard pressed to even see it.
I kind of want that quote in my signature...
Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #139
Minimum Wage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Nicely done! Ill be doing 1000 sq ft next weekend
I'm not sure if I subconsciously drag ass, but the idea of doing 1000 square feet in a weekend scares the hell out of me. Granted the end will soon be here. I'm not sure if I will get it done before I go on vacation at the end of next week, but I'm going to try.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #140

Quote:
I'm not sure if I subconsciously drag ass, but the idea of doing 1000 square feet in a weekend scares the hell out of me. Granted the end will soon be here. I'm not sure if I will get it done before I go on vacation at the end of next week, but I'm going to try.
Well it sounds like you are doing it on nights and weekends, and even though your saving money your not getting paid. Ill be getting paid and ill have my buddy working with me, we will probably get it done in a a day and a half. Plus i have done 1,000s of square feet so it makes easier. Dont look at it as dragging as, look at it as taking your time so it gets done right.