Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Microtorch recommendations

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Microtorch recommendations

I want to get one for electrical soldering mainly, among other things. Seems there a lot of cheesy ones out there, but this Blazer has good reviews.

Anyone have one of these, or have other recommendations of a torch suitable for lots of soldering?

I do not want cheap. I want good and durable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
No, really, I'd like to hear what you have to say.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Master Appliance kit on Amazon. I like it very much,.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I got a Master Appliance kit on Amazon. I like it very much,.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, John. Hmmm, have you actually used it for electrical soldering?
A couple of reviews say it wasn't so hot at that task (haha), but 90% of Amazon reviews are usually useless or posted by the inept.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Thanks, John. Hmmm, have you actually used it for electrical soldering?
A couple of reviews say it wasn't so hot at that task (haha), but 90% of Amazon reviews are usually useless or posted by the inept.
I have used it a couple of time for soldering. Did just fine.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Torch for electrical soldering?!?! Damn, I just use a soldering iron and a heat gun. I wouldn't want an open flame in some of the places I've had to solder.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #7

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Man up. Fire is our friend.

The flame is behind a soldering tip. No flame hits the connection.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Ive used "portasol" brand for years for soldering..........The small size makes life easier when soldering in tight places, and the heat element is small so theres less chance of melting wires on surrounding parts than if you use a torch style like pictured in ur post.

I use a butane torch like u have pictured soley for heating/bending a fishtape, and I install the heat shrink attachment for heatshrinking.

YMMV.............when in tight spaces the large cumbersome torches with soldering tips can be a PITA and lend themselves to being caught on other parts, and u cant hold them easily with 2 fingers if u gotta move other wires/parts with 1 hand.

Those torches EVEN with the soldering tips just have too much of a hot surface area for my comfort around parts like the trucks ecu and such.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Man up. Fire is our friend.

The flame is behind a soldering tip. No flame hits the connection.
Oh, I thought it was an open flame looking at the picture in the OP. I just use the electrical one, seems to work well then an electric heat gun for the heat shrink.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Oh, I thought it was an open flame looking at the picture in the OP. I just use the electrical one, seems to work well then an electric heat gun for the heat shrink.
I have both. The butane is nice for cordless work.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Torch for electrical soldering?!?! Damn, I just use a soldering iron and a heat gun. I wouldn't want an open flame in some of the places I've had to solder.
This is for conveneince away from the work bench, under the truck and such where my iron would be a nuisance. And I don't want to use cheesy crimp connectors for trailer wiring. Making connections to the back of the 7-pin require in-place connection, can't be done on a bench.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
next purchase since mines getting old

http://www.amazon.com/Portasol-01058.../dp/B003H6NN2Q
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Ive used "portasol" brand for years for soldering..........The small size makes life easier when soldering in tight places, and the heat element is small so theres less chance of melting wires on surrounding parts than if you use a torch style like pictured in ur post.

I use a butane torch like u have pictured soley for heating/bending a fishtape, and I install the heat shrink attachment for heatshrinking.

YMMV.............when in tight spaces the large cumbersome torches with soldering tips can be a PITA and lend themselves to being caught on other parts, and u cant hold them easily with 2 fingers if u gotta move other wires/parts with 1 hand.

Those torches EVEN with the soldering tips just have too much of a hot surface area for my comfort around parts like the trucks ecu and such.
I'll look into the Portasol, thanks.

This one actually has a couple flame adjustments, including a carb where you can really fine-tune the flame from a candle-lighter with yellow flame to a needlepoint blue blowtorch.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
next purchase since mines getting old

http://www.amazon.com/Portasol-01058.../dp/B003H6NN2Q

Hmmm, so straight-up butune soldering iron, essentially. That looks like a very nice kit. Thanks for the "tip" (lol)

Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
This is for conveneince away from the work bench, under the truck and such where my iron would be a nuisance. And I don't want to use cheesy crimp connectors for trailer wiring. Making connections to the back of the 7-pin require in-place connection, can't be done on a bench.
I guess I didn't even think about that. I never solder at a bench, I use the sodlering gun for all the connections behind the dash for switches, under the hood, etc. I guess I should be looking at one of those microtorches for the type of work I typically do if they're easier to deal with in tight spaces.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, Brock, I think you convinced me that the Portasol is a more appropriate tool for my needs. Thanks!

Products Discussed in this Thread