LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Epoxy for Garage Floor

Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Epoxy for Garage Floor

Anyone have any suggestions for a Garage floor coating? I'm looking at a 2-part expoxy.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you want epoxy for the floor, I really hope you did the prep work before the slab went down. It those types of floor coverings going on a slab-on-grade, you really need to make sure you aren't going to have moisture issues due to ground water or trapped water within the concrete. I hate to say it but most residential concrete contractors put way too much water in the mix because it's easier for them to work but this can be a nightmare for epoxy or resilient flooring down the road. Do moisture tests of the slab to make sure it's dry enough and I really hope you have a good vapor barrier system under the slab or an underdrain system.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Tacoma343 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Jesse
Tacoma343's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Garage Floor Epoxy Biz in So Cal. Any questions feel free to ask! Check out my website just for the hell of it!

epoxyitsocal.com
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^ my buddy had peeling problems because of this
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you want epoxy for the floor, I really hope you did the prep work before the slab went down. It those types of floor coverings going on a slab-on-grade, you really need to make sure you aren't going to have moisture issues due to ground water or trapped water within the concrete. I hate to say it but most residential concrete contractors put way too much water in the mix because it's easier for them to work but this can be a nightmare for epoxy or resilient flooring down the road. Do moisture tests of the slab to make sure it's dry enough and I really hope you have a good vapor barrier system under the slab or an underdrain system.

Thats good to know. The floor has been sitting for about 4 months now since it was poured and it's been very dry. I also have drains in the garage to deal with the moisture that i'm going to put into it. I'm not sure about below the floor.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Firefighter:
PREP WORK PREP WORK PREP WORK! I spend 3/4 of my time on our floors doing the prep work! My warranty is Lifetime because of my prep work...I only acid wash a floor if its absolutely new! If your a DIY guy... Go to Home Depot and rent a new grinder product called Diamabrush Concrete prep tool and grind your floor. Super easy to use and fantastic results!

As far as a good 2 part epoxy... Go to Epoxy- Coat.com and order your epoxy from them or better yet just go to lowes and buy it there. If you call Epoxy-Coat ask for Jenny or Christine and tell them Jesse from Epoxy It in California referred you. You can buy the whole kit at Lowes for like $194.00.

I'm open to any questions!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma343 View Post
PREP WORK PREP WORK PREP WORK! I spend 3/4 of my time on our floors doing the prep work! My warranty is Lifetime because of my prep work...I only acid wash a floor if its absolutely new! If your a DIY guy... Go to Home Depot and rent a new grinder product called Diamabrush Concrete prep tool and grind your floor. Super easy to use and fantastic results!

As far as a good 2 part epoxy... Go to Epoxy- Coat.com and order your epoxy from them or better yet just go to lowes and buy it there. If you call Epoxy-Coat ask for Jenny or Christine and tell them Jesse from Epoxy It in California referred you. You can buy the whole kit at Lowes for like $194.00.

I'm open to any questions!

The garage is brand new. The only thing that has been on it right now is mud from the build. Would I still need to grind it or should i just do an acid wash?

does that whole kit from lowes cover 1100 sq ft?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Is it worth putthing the "sand" for more grip on the floor?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
I would say grinding is necessary, it will give a better surface for the epoxy to adhere to.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Doing this myself in couple weeks. Going with Lowes 100% solids epoxy coat kit. Think the 3gal is $240. From what I read this lasts a lot longer and is a lot more durable than the rustolium, water based stuff.

Going to prep with a diamond grinder or floor sander rented from Home Depot.

Spend the money, do it once and do it right.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #11

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Doing this myself in couple weeks. Going with Lowes 100% solids epoxy coat kit. Think the 3gal is $240. From what I read this lasts a lot longer and is a lot more durable than the rustolium, water based stuff.

Going to prep with a diamond grinder or floor sander rented from Home Depot.

Spend the money, do it once and do it right.
Epoxy-Coat right?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Epoxy-Coat right?

looks like i'm going to go with them. $900 later and i'm going to have a great looking garage.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #13

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
looks like i'm going to go with them. $900 later and i'm going to have a great looking garage.
Have you checked your local Lowes? It's 194$ there...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you checked your local Lowes? It's 194$ there...

That is the cost from their web site. That also gives me all the tools i need to do the job and will cover the 1100 sq ft for my garage.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Just looked at lowes.com and it looks like i can get the same thing from them for $640
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #16

Firefighter:
Quote:
That is the cost from their web site. That also gives me all the tools i need to do the job and will cover the 1100 sq ft for my garage.
The bucket at lowes is the same one epoxy-coat sends you less the shipping cost you'd save... Just FYI
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The bucket at lowes is the same one epoxy-coat sends you less the shipping cost you'd save... Just FYI

Thanks, Just found that and i can get all the custom colors from online and have it shipped to the store free.

would you recomend putting the aluminum oxide/"sand" in it for grip?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
BigFoot aka Sasquatch

krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Done, ordered from Lowes for $200 less than epoxy-coat's website.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
What color did you get?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #20

Firefighter:
Quote:
Thanks, Just found that and i can get all the custom colors from online and have it shipped to the store free.

would you recomend putting the aluminum oxide/"sand" in it for grip?
NO!!! Lol to hard to clean...