Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any woodworkers?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #181
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
I'm a self-employed professional custom woodworker. My work was 90% commerical before the economy went kaput and is now 90% residential. Can't wait for the tables to turn again. Here's a few sample pics.

Conference table in block mottled makore for an investment firm.

Plain-sliced makore wall panels and poplar (painted) millwork for the same place

Built in casework at the same place

Puppet Theater for a library in Maryland

Circulation desk for the same library in Maryland

46' x 22' desk produced for Bergen County courthouse in New Jersey

Store displays built for the New Jersey aquarium.

I have a mobile sawmill too so I can cut my own wood to use or resell. In this pic I'm sawing a clear cherry log from a dead tree at my brother's house.

Hope that helps get your thread started.
I just found this thread. I'm on TW all they time and still fine new interesting threads. Beautiful work I do have a question. I work in Bergen County NJ and I C U have done work there but live in IN- question is how do you get the work and do U come to NJ 2 do it or make it, ship it and then put it together. Again U do beautiful work - that being said there are custom cabinet makers in NJ so how do U beat them out. Thanks for any reply. Curious George.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #182
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosqeaux View Post
oooh... a woodworking thread! Love some of the stuff I've seen here so I thought I'd contribute...

The latest is a built-in entertainment center/bookcase/storage-thingy I just finished (the little wine rack isn't part of it--we just need to figure out where to put it):

I designed it using google Sketchup and went through lots of design changes along the way. It's a great program not just for working out a design but also figuring out how it will all fit together and the order of assembly (particularly since I don't do this for living and sort of figure it out as I go). Many costly mistakes have been avoided!

and a built-in bookcase with a display case I did for my in-laws:

And a kayak just for good measure:

I'm about to start on a trestle table using a 6' x 4' x 3" slab of wood I acquired a while back that's been sitting around waiting to be made into something. I'm not even sure what species it is, but it weighs a friggin ton.
"And a kayak just for good measure" way cool anybody can have a fiberglass kayak.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #183
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Thought I would resurrect this thread.

Not my handiwork (by a long stretch), but a housewarming gift from inlaws. About 12" tall and 8" across top.

unique, ...like the styling!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #184
G8keepr is on a distinguished road
Name: Rich
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery

Some photos of a hutch I made. Haven't got the drawer fronts on yet though.
Kinda boring but that's what the architect designed.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #185
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8keepr View Post

Some photos of a hutch I made. Haven't got the drawer fronts on yet though.
Kinda boring but that's what the architect designed.
That is beautiful. What are you going to put on it for a finish?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #186
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome rich. Inset doors that size can be tricky. I am assuming they will have glass panels? Looks like walnut correct? Your half blind dovetails on those maple drawer boxes look awesome. Man i gatta get back into cabinetry, hard to land those jobs though.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #187
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks guys.
As for the finish it's just getting a satin clear coat.
Yes it is walnut with maple drawer boxes and the base cab interior is maple.
The client is putting some kind of a wire mesh type of grill in the doors.
Woodworking is fun but can get kinda boring when you do it every day. I do like it though.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #188
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any woodworkers?

Lets see if i can dig up a few pics from past projects...
Trim detail on a 9' slider i installed for my mom

Some tight dovetails

Raised panels, unfinished

Custom cabinets

One of my favorite pieces a friend and i did

Little side project we are working on now, raw cherry face frame

A little trim carpentry for you guys

Old 05-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #189
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work you do there Evan! Is that a full time job for you?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #190
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
man this thread gave me wood...I love wood working but don't ever have the time/tools/money to do the type of work I want to.

To everyone who's posted pics of their work, great job!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #191

Thank you, my work doesnt even compare with some of the talent in this thread. Carpentry is a full time job, i do a little bit of everything. I wish i could just do woodworking and cabinetry. The high end jobs are few and far between. Someday i would love to do it full time and have a nice shop.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #192

Just got word that we landed the job doing custom butcher block countertops on a kitchen that we have been installing this past week. Pictures will follow! This should be a good one, going to try to talk the customers into doing mirror coat, and a herringbone pattern for the L shaped island, I would also like to stain it a darker color because they went with white cabinets. I am excited about this one.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #193
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
rich, evan, ...nice work!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #194
Keyboard commander
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If any of you live in utah I work at hunter mill and cabinet and can get you a deal on some material.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #195
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Kitchen in progress. Some base cabs.

The west wall with opening for a sub-zero

The north wall with 48" opening for range and custom hood
Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #196
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Just incredible. Well done!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #197
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8keepr View Post
Kitchen in progress. Some base cabs.

The west wall with opening for a sub-zero

The north wall with 48" opening for range and custom hood

Nice

Poplar with MDF panels ?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #198
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it is poplar with mdf panels. We install it primed and ready for finish paint.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #199
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
European style hinges and slides ? ie Blum
Old 05-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #200
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
European style hinges and slides ? ie Blum
Blum under mount soft close slides. Hinges are going to be hand made wrought iron mortised into the bead and surfaced mounted on the door. Not my style but that's what the architect wants. I'll get some photos when they're hanging. Could be weeks though. Starting on the butlers pantry in the meantime.