Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any woodworkers?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #41
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
These will be a good start. I used them for general measurements to get started.

http://www.oldpaintdesign.com/2011/1...d-bar-cabinet/
Awesome. That is a nice writeup for it. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Anyone else got some cool projects to show off? Or some tips for the beginner
Check out woodnet.net. and lumberjocks.com. lots of info there.

My dad has been making the shelving for my new house and we start installing the wood floor tomorrow.

Here is a step stool I made for my wife last year.

Rolling pin for my cousin for her wedding.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #44
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Just a little something I threw together the other day, it aint much but it's way better than store bought.
Attached Thumbnails
Any woodworkers?-img_0406.jpg   Any woodworkers?-img_0410.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #45
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ View Post
Just a little something I threw together the other day, it aint much but it's way better than store bought.
Really want to make one of these. Did you use a jig saw or bandsaw for the cutting? And pocket holes for the back or some other way of joining?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #46
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really want to make one of these. Did you use a jig saw or bandsaw for the cutting? And pocket holes for the back or some other way of joining?
I used a hole-saw, a jig-saw, and of course a skil-saw(rotary-saw) and hand filed the corners and edges being I didn't have a good router bit and didn't feel like paying 20 bucks for one. nothing special with construction just butted them and used some good ole elmers wood glue and 2" shinny finish nails. Then some Min-wax original on that purdy red-oak.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #47

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yea my studs are 2' OC in my house so I put the hangers on the backs of the uprights(which are 2' OC) instead of the crossmember. Seemed stronger like that. 5 guns is a lot of weight ecspecially when 2 have bull barrels.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #48
Very nice how much?

Yeah thats true. I was thinking of building a three gun holder for myself, then a better one for my dad. I found this video and wanted to mimick it. I have a jigsaw and skillsaw, really want to get a router.

Heres the video, I watch a ton of woodworking on youtube now haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL3eku8gR7U
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #49

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Forster46;6731014]Yeah thats true. I was thinking of building a three gun holder for myself, then a better one for my dad. I found this video and wanted to mimick it. I have a jigsaw and skillsaw, really want to get a router.

Sweet. I wanted a little cabinet on mine but I figured it was already big enough. Get a set of hole saws for your drill, makes cutting the cradles so much easier and uniform. I used a 2&1/8" diameter on mine but will probably go 1&3/4 next time.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #50
Very nice how much?

[QUOTE=BDJ;6731033]
Quote:
Yeah thats true. I was thinking of building a three gun holder for myself, then a better one for my dad. I found this video and wanted to mimick it. I have a jigsaw and skillsaw, really want to get a router.

Sweet. I wanted a little cabinet on mine but I figured it was already big enough. Get a set of hole saws for your drill, makes cutting the cradles so much easier and uniform. I used a 2&1/8" diameter on mine but will probably go 1&3/4 next time.
Okay sweet. I figured I would pick one up so I can pump out several of these. For lumber I only really have access to home depot or lowes, and I haven't gone to see what they carry yet.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #51

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Okay sweet. I figured I would pick one up so I can pump out several of these. For lumber I only really have access to home depot or lowes, and I haven't gone to see what they carry yet.

I got this Red-oak from Lowes. It took 2) 1x6's 6' that were 19 bucks a piece. They also had some cypress and cedar.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #52
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJ View Post

I got this Red-oak from Lowes. It took 2) 1x6's 6' that were 19 bucks a piece. They also had some cypress and cedar.
I have a neighbor that hoards wood, maybe I can get something decent from him.. otherwise it will probably be something from lowes!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #53
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the projects coming! Great stuff.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #54

BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Most recent project.
Attached Thumbnails
Any woodworkers?-img_0502-1-.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #56
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
I did a couple sets of these rustic nesting table for Longaberger Basket Company in Ohio. The wood, which was used on several other things in its natural state was "tobacco barn antique pine" sourced from North Carolina. Man that stuff smelled good to work with. The lumber was rough sawn and showed the circular sawmill marks. I came up with a "frosted" white paint finish to make them look like the weathered side of a barn.

I work with plastic laminate as well as real wood and veneers and this curved bookcase was made for a library in New Jersey and the radius matched a sitting couch which was placed behind it.

A "budget" circulation desk for Cecilton Branch Library in Maryland

I also make custom mouldings and often match historic profiles. These are examples (old on top and new on the bottom) which were used on that job in my page one post.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #57
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who like "sawmilling", here's a few that'll give you wood. :lol:

Preparing to mill a big sycamore

Showing pride in my big wood, a yellow poplar from our woods

Same log squared up and totally clear

I don't normally get to saw honey locust but this one was pretty big and the wood was beautiful.

My retired neighbor used to run this Foley Belsaw circular sawmill. Did a decent job on smaller logs. He's sold it now and moved on to a Norwood bandsaw mill which is easier for an old fart to operate.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I work for a company right now that does moulding and arches. We run standard types of moulding as well as custom mouldings. We can grind our own blades to match anything someone brings in and needs matched. We also run tongue and groove flooring as well as ceiling boards and wall panels. I like running our Weinig machine. It will take a rough piece of lumber and cut all 4 sides at once and out comes a finished product such as crown or casing.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #59
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had a wood shop. I made this surfboard... just need to glass the fins on.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #60
Very nice how much?

I wish I had any sort of garage. Anywhere to work on stuff besides outside. Can't store tools outside