Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any woodworkers?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #161
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
From what I remember in chemistry, sunlight can speed up the reaction. The stuff does take pretty good, the stud I used wasn't extremely white, but still pretty light. It still took it pretty good. So if you're leaving it to react that long, you might only need one coat. Is your stuff spruce/true whitewood or yellow pine? Like I said, the coffee didn't make much of a difference from what I could tel earlier, but I'm going to check it back out here in a minute since it has dried some more.

I'm going to take pics in a little bit. Are you talking about pictures of the wood or of my jar of mixture?
I'm using whitewood
Sorry I didn't see the coffee part.

I'd like to see what color the mixture turned the board without the coffee.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #162
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
The first picture is of the mixture. I'd already taken out the steel wool. It really isn't that dark at all, just slightly gray. As dark as it turned the wood, I don't think I'll let mine sit for more than a day unless I'm using extremely light wood. Much longer, or darker wood and it would almost be black.
Second picture is of the whole piece of 2x4 stud. The left side had two coats of just the mixture. The middle is just a strip of one coat. The right side had one coat of really strong coffee, then two coats of the mixture. There was about 30 minutes between coats.
The third picture is just of the back of the stud to show the original color. It's pretty much a brand new stud, so no previous weathering.
The fourth picture is the right side (coffee and two coats) and the last picture is of the left side (two coats).

I don't have the best camera, so the color is a tad off. It's a little lighter in person. It had been sitting for about 1-2 hours when I took the pictures. I also put on kind of thin coats and didn't get some spots that great, but I was just testing it out. We'll see for sure how they turn out tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll try a wax coat over it to see what finish I can put on it. I want more of a matte finish, not much shine.
Attached Thumbnails
Any woodworkers?-20130506_225050.jpg   Any woodworkers?-20130506_225217.jpg   Any woodworkers?-20130506_225243.jpg   Any woodworkers?-20130506_225300.jpg   Any woodworkers?-20130506_225316.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #163
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I'm considering using this method to finish a coffee table I'm building. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://thefriendlyhome.blogspot.com/...dize-wood.html
Thanks for the link. I think I'll try and use this for my kitchen island cart. I'm going to try it on redwood when I get to it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #164
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
Here's some pics of the "personal area" which was done in quartered and figured English Sycamore. These are blueprint grain matched "faceted" wall panels around the curved wall opposite the bed. On the other side of the curved wall are his and hers vanities and her closet area.

Her vanity. Built to fit curved wall. Custom made front with routed pull detail and custom made "slumped" glass sinks.

A view into her closet from the bathroom area with sliding doors open (her vanity shown in the previous pics is to the left)

A view of her closet with the sliding doors closed.

Bedroom wall unit fitted floor to ceiling and wall to wall including cabinets on each side and platform bed. I regret not straightening up for a better shot before taking this pic. That curved wall shown above would be to my right as this pic was taken.
Beautiful works, and fine Craftsmanship there Sir....
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #165
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
I'm building a picket fence with custom cut ends,not bad for a plumber I'd like to paint but really thinking of a wash instead,or stain. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #166
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
The first picture is of the mixture. I'd already taken out the steel wool. It really isn't that dark at all, just slightly gray. As dark as it turned the wood, I don't think I'll let mine sit for more than a day unless I'm using extremely light wood. Much longer, or darker wood and it would almost be black.
Second picture is of the whole piece of 2x4 stud. The left side had two coats of just the mixture. The middle is just a strip of one coat. The right side had one coat of really strong coffee, then two coats of the mixture. There was about 30 minutes between coats.
The third picture is just of the back of the stud to show the original color. It's pretty much a brand new stud, so no previous weathering.
The fourth picture is the right side (coffee and two coats) and the last picture is of the left side (two coats).

I don't have the best camera, so the color is a tad off. It's a little lighter in person. It had been sitting for about 1-2 hours when I took the pictures. I also put on kind of thin coats and didn't get some spots that great, but I was just testing it out. We'll see for sure how they turn out tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll try a wax coat over it to see what finish I can put on it. I want more of a matte finish, not much shine.
It's got to be all about the tannins. Here's a shot from tonight. All the same solution (which is still clear liquid). 30 minutes after application, from left to right: poplar, red oak, whitewood 2x4

I'm brewing some tea now to try to impart some tannins to the whitewood, since that's what the table is made of.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #168
rosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shedrosqeaux is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rosqeaux's Tacoma Gallery
oooh... a woodworking thread! Love some of the stuff I've seen here so I thought I'd contribute...

The latest is a built-in entertainment center/bookcase/storage-thingy I just finished (the little wine rack isn't part of it--we just need to figure out where to put it):

I designed it using google Sketchup and went through lots of design changes along the way. It's a great program not just for working out a design but also figuring out how it will all fit together and the order of assembly (particularly since I don't do this for living and sort of figure it out as I go). Many costly mistakes have been avoided!

and a built-in bookcase with a display case I did for my in-laws:

And a kayak just for good measure:

I'm about to start on a trestle table using a 6' x 4' x 3" slab of wood I acquired a while back that's been sitting around waiting to be made into something. I'm not even sure what species it is, but it weighs a friggin ton.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #169
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Damn nice kayak!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #170
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Finished the oxidized pine rustic coffee table.

First pic makes it look reddish, but that's just the lighting in the shop, the second pic shows the true color

Oxidized pine vs the original whitewood pine. No tea, one coat of oxidizing solution. Im pretty happy with the color.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #171
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
My latest build, all oak. The wood is from my great uncles property in Michigan, ruff cut there and then finished here in Florida. I have since built speaker covers for the openings. I have about 25 - 30 hours in this one, but with three kids and a wife it's spread over 6 months.

GH
impressive!!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #172
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I built my mom a nice planter box for mothers day so she can put that on her deck or something, now I am trying to think of ideas of what I can build for my dad. I thought of a gun rack for on his wall, but I don't think he would want to store his guns somewhere that isn't in his safe.

I am also thinking a wine rack of some kind, because he has a TON of wine. I was going to try and find out what kind of cabinets he's got so I can try to match them. Anyone know of any good designs for a wine rack or shelf?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #173
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad I has no wood working tools . I made jewelry boxes once they come out good I was pretty proud of them lol (borrowed bandsaw/tools at school)
Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #175
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
^Sweet!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #176
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
My 'first' wood working project. My dad is a major wood worker, I'm a computer nerd. He helped me use the tools, and I came up with this.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #177
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
My 'first' wood working project. My dad is a major wood worker, I'm a computer nerd. He helped me use the tools, and I came up with this.

Pretty cool!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #178
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Coffee table finally done
That looks awesome. I would love to build one just like that.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #179
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I would resurrect this thread.

Not my handiwork (by a long stretch), but a housewarming gift from inlaws. About 12" tall and 8" across top.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #180
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to upload my pictures using the vinegar/steel wool mixture to this thread. The cart is made of Redwood. I only used one coating of the mixture. If your wood is a white wood, it won't change as drastically:

Here's the before:

After:
Attached Thumbnails
Any woodworkers?-island-cart.jpg   Any woodworkers?-cart3.jpg