Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any woodworkers?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Any woodworkers?

I just wanted to see how many woodworkers we have around here. Saw a thread or two on here but they are old or dead. I have been trying to get into it, but tools are expensive and I don't have all that much space to do it. I like metal work, but woodwork just calms me down and I like it a lot more.

Been wanting to get a bandsaw, tablesaw, router, disc sander. Too many tools, not enough money. Or space. What do you guys make? Any suggestions for some projects I can start with?

Also, where can I go to get special wood species. I mean anything like maple, oak, cherry. Home depot and lowes only have pine, as far as I know.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a self-employed professional custom woodworker. My work was 90% commerical before the economy went kaput and is now 90% residential. Can't wait for the tables to turn again. Here's a few sample pics.

Conference table in block mottled makore for an investment firm.

Plain-sliced makore wall panels and poplar (painted) millwork for the same place

Built in casework at the same place

Puppet Theater for a library in Maryland

Circulation desk for the same library in Maryland

46' x 22' desk produced for Bergen County courthouse in New Jersey

Store displays built for the New Jersey aquarium.

I have a mobile sawmill too so I can cut my own wood to use or resell. In this pic I'm sawing a clear cherry log from a dead tree at my brother's house.

Hope that helps get your thread started.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Forester. Im in the same boat as you my friend. I want to start doing more woodwork but the tools and the know how is missing right now. I have some tools but I need a better router/router table and I need to get a tablesaw. With those two items I figure I am quite dangerous. My current router just doesnt have enough power and only has a 1/4" collet. I am finding most router bits I seem to want are 1/2" shank. I do have some stuff such as finish sanders and mitersaws but a table saw and more clamps would be really handy.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
I spent a summer and made this two years ago. Its in my garage.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Woodsman...that is some beautiful work!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
I'm a self-employed professional custom woodworker. My work was 90% commerical before the economy went kaput and is now 90% residential. Can't wait for the tables to turn again. Here's a few sample pics.

Conference table in block mottled makore for an investment firm.

Plain-sliced makore wall panels and poplar (painted) millwork for the same place

Built in casework at the same place

Puppet Theater for a library in Maryland

Circulation desk for the same library in Maryland

46' x 22' desk produced for Bergen County courthouse in New Jersey

Store displays built for the New Jersey aquarium.

I have a mobile sawmill too so I can cut my own wood to use or resell. In this pic I'm sawing a clear cherry log from a dead tree at my brother's house.

Hope that helps get your thread started.
Absolutly beautiful stuff!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I just wanted to see how many woodworkers we have around here. Saw a thread or two on here but they are old or dead. I have been trying to get into it, but tools are expensive and I don't have all that much space to do it. I like metal work, but woodwork just calms me down and I like it a lot more.

Been wanting to get a bandsaw, tablesaw, router, disc sander. Too many tools, not enough money. Or space. What do you guys make? Any suggestions for some projects I can start with?

Also, where can I go to get special wood species. I mean anything like maple, oak, cherry. Home depot and lowes only have pine, as far as I know.
Lowe's and Home depot have more than pine but not that great of quality. Look at pawn shops for tools or do like me go to Sears, you don't need the biggest and best yet nor the specialty tools. Find out if you really like it then trade up. Best first project is a wook bench for your tools! My first project was an entire set of kitchen cabinets!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
We have an Ahmish furniture store here so any nice wood I get from them, any birch or oak just go to Lowe's
Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #9
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
Split Top Roubo Bench

Here is one of my woodworking benches I made. It is made of ASH with Bubingua Accents. Shelf is solid Pecan. Used Benchcrafted hardware on the Leg Vise and Wagon Vise.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Woodcrafters.com
There's a store near me,I try to stay away

Exotic woods,tools,kits,plans,classes,etc.

Nice work woodsman!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
Woodcrafters in Texas where?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #12
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
Woodcrafters in Texas where?
San Antonio. San Pedro and bitters.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
San Antonio. San Pedro and bitters.
Crap, I was hopeing around Dallas!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
dont tread on me!

Check for store locator. If sa has one,dfw should
Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolreed View Post
Here is one of my woodworking benches I made. It is made of ASH with Bubingua Accents. Shelf is solid Pecan. Used Benchcrafted hardware on the Leg Vise and Wagon Vise.
I'm going to need to see more of your shop, kind sir.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post

In the same boat. Did a lot of furniture making in highschool. Got a job as a cabinet maker after. Now in school for Business. Luckly my buddy has a small but decent shop

Id look into Grizzly tools, in Bellingham. There really afordable and pretty good quality. We bought a 6'' jointer and drill press from there. It all depends on what you want to make. Then design it around what tools you can afford and how much space you have.

Id defentally start with a Table saw, dado blade, Router (build your own table), 6'' jointer, 13'' planer and a Sliding miter saw. Get a good drill, biscuit or kreg jointer, orbital/belt sander, jig saw and lots of pipe clamps.

With this you'll be able to make dressers, tables, chairs, desks, cutting boards, boxes ect ect

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...Series-/G0715P

Damn good tabe saw for $800. Build a nice outfeed table and use it as a work bench too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

Have this jointer, its a beast. In all id say you could start a very nice shop for $2k.

You can also make a lot of different jigs and tools yourself, crosscut sled, taper jig, mitersaw table, shelfs. What ever you intend on building make sure you have enough space to do it in.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
As for hardwood, ive never bought from big box stores. probably going to get hosed. Try Targo Hardwood also in Bellingham.

This was my last project,
Attached Thumbnails
Any woodworkers?-img_1061.jpg   Any woodworkers?-img_1062.jpg   Any woodworkers?-img_1064.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
That mobile sawmill is badass Woodsman! Do you get much use out of it?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
I do woodworking as a hobby. Here is my latest project.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
Lowe's and Home depot have more than pine but not that great of quality. Look at pawn shops for tools or do like me go to Sears, you don't need the biggest and best yet nor the specialty tools. Find out if you really like it then trade up. Best first project is a wook bench for your tools! My first project was an entire set of kitchen cabinets!
This is exactly what I do now. I have several giftcards for sears and have already spent a ton there on various smaller tools. I was checking out the routers, bandsaws, tablesaws, and drill press' there. I have also checked the local pawn shops several times, and craigslist pretty much daily.

As far as space. All I have is one of those sheds you see in Home Depot parking lots. Red barn looking, double doors, orignally bought to store lawn mower and lawn equipment. Now the home of my hand tools and dirt bike. The only other space I have is right outside the shed door, under my deck, unprotected from any elements. I need a garage.