Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

What is the strongest super glue? Need advice

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Question What is the strongest super glue? Need advice

Hey guys my brother somehow cracked the side panel on a brand new plastic for my dirtbike. Short of spending $50 on new one, is there any strong super glue out there that could work? I mean like once it's glued, it's never coming off. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS. The crack is where the side panel and seat come together and bolt down. An odd spot I know...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of plastic ? ABS maybe ?

I use the hobby store grade superglue...
Works well for many things...
but it don't hold well or for long on many plastics.

A more permanent fix/solution would be to plastic weld that.
You can pay someone whom fixes/paints plastics on motorcycles.
or go down to Harbor Freight and buy yer own plastic welder.

^ tho' I have no idea if any of the available HF junk works

I had a cbr900 I laid down... more then once
Most of the plastic required some form of mend before re-painting.
After plastic welding things back together, I never had another
issue with those repairs. (and the exterior looked as good as new)
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i jb weld everything. holds like a champ.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
i jb weld everything. holds like a champ.
On plastic? Do they make a jb plastic weld? Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
what kind of plastic ? ABS maybe ?

I use the hobby store grade superglue...
Works well for many things...
but it don't hold well or for long on many plastics.

A more permanent fix/solution would be to plastic weld that.
You can pay someone whom fixes/paints plastics on motorcycles.
or go down to Harbor Freight and buy yer own plastic welder.

^ tho' I have no idea if any of the available HF junk works

I had a cbr900 I laid down... more then once
Most of the plastic required some form of mend before re-painting.
After plastic welding things back together, I never had another
issue with those repairs. (and the exterior looked as good as new)
Idk what kind of plastic, Japanese lol? Its a 2013 kx450f
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
kellybig is on a distinguished road
kellybig's Tacoma Gallery
JB WELD

yes they make it for plastic; works great
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
i hope so, its keeping my shoes together, and bonded well to the hole i got in my truck bed.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
slow curing epoxy used in plastic models. the slower the cure, the stronger the bond, generally. It usually comes in two tubes and has to be mixed together.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
PVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic welder, its super easy. I fixed a pair of kayaks with huge gouges out of the bottom and they are seaworthy now after months of use.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
I love that loc-tite super glue...works like a champ.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Idk what kind of plastic, Japanese lol? Its a 2013 kx450f
You'd be fine with the plastic version of JB Weld. I used it to fill a small hole in a gas tank (not a through hole). So far, all's well.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
You'd be fine with the plastic version of JB Weld. I used it to fill a small hole in a gas tank (not a through hole). So far, all's well.
Yea Ian, it's on the backside of the side panel where the seat bolt goes to. The backside part of the hole on the panel just busted off in a perfect circle washer sized piece. Now the seat bolt is too small and doesn't tighten the side panel down. Make sense? Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
JB or nearly any type of 2 part epoxy should be fine. I've have good success with Gorilla Glue lately on small stuff.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
JB or nearly any type of 2 part epoxy should be fine. I've have good success with Gorilla Glue lately on small stuff.
I tried the gorilla glue and when I went to tighten the bolt the piece peeled off like nothin
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
If it's in a spot where you wont see it (sounds like it) then you need to fist scuff it all up with 60 grit for good adhesion, then use some slow cure two part epoxy and if you can, add in a piece of metal mesh for some real strength.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...G_u4aBUVBG5sBA

That pic sort of shows what I mean..
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea Ian, it's on the backside of the side panel where the seat bolt goes to. The backside part of the hole on the panel just busted off in a perfect circle washer sized piece. Now the seat bolt is too small and doesn't tighten the side panel down. Make sense? Lol
Perfect sense.

Just goop some of the plastic epoxy stuff around it. The piece will weld right back on.