Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Critique my bed bar design

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Critique my bed bar design

Ive been trying to think of a secure way to carrier a full size spare around in my truck so it wont get stolen and also be easily removed in case i want to throw something in the bed of my truck. I love the idea of a rear bumper tire carrier but i cant afford a 1200$ or more bumper. A lot of the bed bars ive seen have the tire sitting on an angle and taking pretty well most of the bed space and rendering it almost useless for anything else. Then there's roof racks and bed racks and thats even more money and from what my brother tells me, the roof isnt a great place to store a spare. SO

i love the idea of a bed bar at the back of the cab to mount multiple things such as bed lights, backup lights and CB antennas. with this ive created an idea via MS paint (lol). im not a fabricator and i dont design anything ever as you'll probably notice by the picture but im wondering what other members think of this, what are the flaws and such before i ask my uncle to fab one up for me.

after taking a measuring tape the the bed of the truck it looks like the tire will cover most of the back window and leave enough space for the two mounting brackets in the picture. should also clear the wheel well in a double cab.

Fire away!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I like it. Like you already pointed out, the only thing I would really worry about is the tire blocking all my view. But if you have it far enough to the side then there isn't much to worry about. You could probably mount a second light on the right side of the tire, if there is room.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
It looks good but i would build it in such a way that the tire would rest on the bed of the truck standing up, I don't think the bedrails would handle that much weight alone.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
It looks good but i would build it in such a way that the tire would rest on the bed of the truck standing up, I don't think the bedrails would handle that much weight alone.
This is good for not only relieving the weight off the rails but also dropping the tire as low as possible for more visibility.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to see this actually made. Looks good.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I concur, the weight would be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq View Post
This is good for not only relieving the weight off the rails but also dropping the tire as low as possible for more visibility.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I'm not sure the measurements but keep in mind, if your current design has the tire touching the floor of the bed it won't be compatible if you go to a larger tire size.
The plan is to keep the weight of the tire on the bed of the truck. My brother made a suggestion as to keep the slots instead of just a circle, make it a slotted cicle if that makes any sense, so i can move the bolt to hold the tire up or down, makes me think i should have the bars going vertical, spaced apart for a 6bolt pattern rim, with vertical slotted holes so i can have different sized spares there. boom, problem solved
Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geem750 View Post
I concur, the weight would be too much.

+1

The plan is to keep the weight of the tire on the bed of the truck. My brother made a suggestion as to keep the slots instead of just a circle, make it a slotted cicle if that makes any sense, so i can move the bolt to hold the tire up or down, makes me think i should have the bars going vertical, spaced apart for a 6bolt pattern rim, with vertical slotted holes so i can have different sized spares there. boom, problem solved
Might be easier to make a separate rack that you can bolt onto the bar with slots to adjust the height of the rack and keep the bolts in a fixed location.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Might be easier to make a separate rack that you can bolt onto the bar with slots to adjust the height of the rack and keep the bolts in a fixed location.
sort of like having an extra hub that can bolt to the rack?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geem750 View Post
sort of like having an extra hub that can bolt to the rack?
Pretty much, like make a separate piece that the wheel bolts onto. And where that piece has holes to be bolted on to the rack, cut slots so it's adjustable.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Pretty much, like make a separate piece that the wheel bolts onto. And where that piece has holes to be bolted on to the rack, cut slots so it's adjustable.
This. The bigger the tire, just raise the "hub mount" 32 inch tire? Have it in one spot. 33 inch tire? Slide the hub mounting plate up slightly with the slots, in order to make room for the extra inch down below. As far as different bolt patterns, just make a different plate all together. Easiest solution
Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #13
brickboiler is on a distinguished road
brickboiler's Tacoma Gallery
I like your design as it is, except I would put the spare on the drivers side so that it would obscure the view less.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #14

Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickboiler View Post
I like your design as it is, except I would put the spare on the drivers side so that it would obscure the view less.
i had also thought of this when i was sitting in the bed of my truck holding the tape measure.

I probably wont be building this until i get a proper spare tire. and ive decided to hold back on new tires til next season. Ill post back here once i have something to show for it.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
What size stock are you going to use, gussets and weld spec? Have you figured out both the bending and fatigue loads in your design, not to mention the vibration spectrum.

Or you can just build it big and heavy enough and repair weld when needed...

Howard
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I really like it but blocking the back window is an issue for me!