Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Installing a garage door opener

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Installing a garage door opener

Have you installed a garage door opener? If so, on a scale of easy to hard, what would you rate it.

I work for a packaging design company are we are redesigning the packaging for Chamberlain, Liftmaster and Craftsman. My company is giving away the garage door openers to all of it's employees. I am getting one and was going to install it at my house.

Should I hire someone to install it?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I have installed a few .
All depends on your level of carpentry/ mechanical and electrical capability / reading and following instructions that come with the opener .
Open the box and read through the instructions to see if you are comfortable with the job .
Under ideal conditions , a contractor shouldnt charge more than 2 or 3 hours to install the opener
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Fairly easy, the instructions are usually very thorough. Helps if there is already an electrical outlet for it nearby in the ceiling though.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
I have installed a few .
All depends on your level of carpentry/ mechanical and electrical capability / reading and following instructions that come with the opener .
Open the box and read through the instructions to see if you are comfortable with the job .
Under ideal conditions , a contractor shouldnt charge more than 2 or 3 hours to install the opener
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Fairly easy, the instructions are usually very thorough. Helps if there is already an electrical outlet for it nearby in the ceiling though.
Yes it does. The ceiling has several areas with overheard outlets.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
Thanks!

Yes it does. The ceiling has several areas with overheard outlets.
That's good, then it's mostly a matter of locating the ceiling joists to bolt the mounting brackets into. A cheap electronic stud finder is very handy if you don't have one already. Assembly of the rest of the unit is fairly straightforward if you follow the intructions.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Took me less then an hour to replace my moms last year. Rails mounts and all. I had my door replaced less then a year ago and it took about two hours with door and opener but it was done by a pro.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
007Taco

Good to know.

I found out yesterday as work was handing them out that the one I got is in french. The unit is sold in Canada. Hopefully it will work when I plug it in. If it doesn't, I can switch it out for another one.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
Good to know.

I found out yesterday as work was handing them out that the one I got is in french. The unit is sold in Canada. Hopefully it will work when I plug it in. If it doesn't, I can switch it out for another one.
Well then you're good to go. If French speaking people can install them...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
007Taco

Sweet!