Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Easiest Fastest Way to Set a Fence Post

Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Yes it does OZ, but lift the bottom of the post up into the cement, and build a little mound of concrete around the post at the top. No real water problems, no speeded up rotting. Still on the rag
Wrong

Concrete is pourous and will draw moisture out of the ground like a sponge , all that moisture is held against the post with nowhere to go , not to mention seasonal expansion and contraction in the wooden post itself that works to open a gap between the post and the concrete that also traps water
Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question, I'm about to be doing a short section of fence myself. If concrete rots the wooden fence post and I don't want to pay for this fancy foam stuff, what's left? I already have the fence posts, they are 4x4 and 4 feet tall.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I have a question, I'm about to be doing a short section of fence myself. If concrete rots the wooden fence post and I don't want to pay for this fancy foam stuff, what's left? I already have the fence posts, they are 4x4 and 4 feet tall.
Good old fashioned stone. Pack it tight enough around the post and it won't move. Item 4 would work if you don't want to use concrete or this foam stuff.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Good old fashioned stone. Pack it tight enough around the post and it won't move. Item 4 would work if you don't want to use concrete or this foam stuff.
This unless you have non-draining clay soil
Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I was about to buy concrete but the crushed stone seems like a better idea. Now I just have to figure put how much I need, I, only setting7 posts.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #26

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you get crushed stone that contains some fines it works best
Old 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting stuff. I used a mix of 3/8" crushed stone combined with native dirt then hand-compacted like a sumbitch on my last project-

I have to tear out and redo a couple small sections of perimeter fence that I might consider this stuff for. I have to set 4x6 posts 3' deep to stand up to the wind around here, and compacting with that 6' tamping rod sucks balls.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
BluTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
BluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard that concrete rots wood. That's ridiculous. When people talk about concrete most of the time they don't know what they are talking about. Concrete is a mixture of cement, sand, gravel & water. When CEMENT is mixed with water it creates a chemical reaction and cures hard. Sand and gravel are just put in as a filler to minimize the cement required. Cement is what is expensive. Concrete does not have moisture in it to rot wood. Concrete is porous and allows water to pass through that can eventually rot wood. If you use pressure treated wood it will last for years and years (I'm talking 30-40 years). Building code does not allow for structures to bury PT wood for the fact that it will eventually rot out but if you are building a fence then you are just fine. Also, as for installation most people pour in dry concrete for the posts. Level the post and tie them together with 2x4's to ensure they are all straight then go back with the water hose and wet the concrete.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
I love the concept. Just replaced 2 fence posts last week for the first time. I didn't even know this thing existed until then:

Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This unless you have non-draining clay soil
Good point to clarify. He lives right down the road from me so I know what kind of soil he's got

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
If you get crushed stone that contains some fines it works best

And make sure you pack it in really, really well.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTaco View Post
I've never heard that concrete rots wood. That's ridiculous. When people talk about concrete most of the time they don't know what they are talking about. Concrete is a mixture of cement, sand, gravel & water. When CEMENT is mixed with water it creates a chemical reaction and cures hard. Sand and gravel are just put in as a filler to minimize the cement required. Cement is what is expensive. Concrete does not have moisture in it to rot wood. Concrete is porous and allows water to pass through that can eventually rot wood. If you use pressure treated wood it will last for years and years (I'm talking 30-40 years). Building code does not allow for structures to bury PT wood for the fact that it will eventually rot out but if you are building a fence then you are just fine. Also, as for installation most people pour in dry concrete for the posts. Level the post and tie them together with 2x4's to ensure they are all straight then go back with the water hose and wet the concrete.
You're right , concrete doesn't rot wood , water does that , it's the concrete that holds the moisture ( originating from precipitation or moisture content in the soil ) against the post , causing rot

Pressure treated posts , whether CCA or ACQ can also fail , especially in concrete and I've seen them rot off here in 10 years
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, yank a rotted post out, break off the concrete, what's underneath? Nice clean wood. Yeah water is the culprit, concrete is pourous, lets the water flow right past the wood. All the exposed wood at ground level and below the cement looks like shit.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #33

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Sorry, yank a rotted post out, break off the concrete, what's underneath? Nice clean wood. Yeah water is the culprit, concrete is pourous, lets the water flow right past the wood. All the exposed wood at ground level and below the cement looks like shit.
Isn't that what I said ?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #34
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
yeah
still on the rag...sorry
Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #35
www.okledlightbars.com
zilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
zilla68's Tacoma Gallery
reviving this back up, but I noticed this is what the power company uses to set those huge azz power poles, I wondered what that stuff was coming from the top.

I called this guy when I found he was local, looks like I'm going to test it out pretty soon, when I start replacing concrete poles that the concrete all cracked apart on!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #36
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Quikrete sells concrete you can just pour in the hole dry and fill it with water.
You can pour any concrete mix in and it will harden ground moisture or rain. Built an entire pole barn with dry concrete mix. Seems expensive and a pain to set up pour in the concrete level the post and go away. Looks like expandable foam to me. Most pressure treated posts have a 30 year ground contact guarantee any way who cares if they get wet.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #37
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know... My mailbox post is in dirt, does not need concrete or this product. Wood will rot regardless if stuck in the ground, I don't care what it's set in. Most, if not all of the fences in my area (Pennsylvania) are set in the dirt also, no securing needed, 30" to 36" wholes, drop in post, pack with dirt done.

In 15 to 20 years it is rotted below the surface, no matter the wood species, treated or not.