LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

What do you use to organize your sockets?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
What do you use to organize your sockets?

I am getting ready to start a job at in the service department at a dealership down here so I am trying to get my tool box a little more organized. I have seen everything from cutting out foam to some plastic organizers with all the socket sizes next to each hole. So, what do you all use? I am low on money so I am trying to find something cheap that will do for now until I can afford a better set up/ box.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I use these, but I dont really like them. I am just now starting to get a set of tools for the truck and a set for the shop, so I am going to use these primarily for the traveling set.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-pc-..._tnt=39869:4:0
Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
I am getting ready to start a job at in the service department at a dealership down here so I am trying to get my tool box a little more organized. I have seen everything from cutting out foam to some plastic organizers with all the socket sizes next to each hole. So, what do you all use? I am low on money so I am trying to find something cheap that will do for now until I can afford a better set up/ box.
I have used foam it is pricey and time consuming to cut in and has a tendency to accumulate various fluids, grease etc from the sockets. The foam takes up a lot of space. http://foamfittools.com/ I have a lot of exp with the foam we had to do this for our tool boxes in the Air Force I believe the other services also did this as it was for tool and inventory control they get a little pissy if you loose a tool on an aircraft lol.

I did have the plastic trays they take up a lot of space at least the ones that are flat and have the holes laid out. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-socke...a=00965172000P

The other style of plastic ones that are form fitting and magnetic take less space then the flat ones but are pricey depending on how many sockets you have . http://www.sears.com/lisle-3-8-in-dr...a=00919061000P

I finally went back to the standard rack http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-pc-...a=00941325000P
you can grab your rack and go instead of going back and forth , course if you know ever socket your going to need for every job then that is not a problem.

One of the ways I have done is simple oak plank and drilled the hole sizes and depths for the sockets takes a little less space then all of the above except the racks. However, it is all up to you and how much you want to walk back and forth. I am sure with all the full time and weekend wrenches others have some other innovative ideas too.

Cypherian
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Thanks guys. I have considered using the basic rack and have used them in the past but didnt really like them that much. My toolbox is one of the mobile units and I am just putting the stuff I use a lot in it. The other box is for the stuff I dont use as often. I was looking today and found something that might work for what I want.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have a couple of these , they are made by Lisle , this one is for 1/2" sockets , they make them for 3/8" and 1/4" drive as well

The magnet strip is very strong and the sockets don't fall out even upside down

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=239
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have a couple of these , they are made by Lisle , this one is for 1/2" sockets , they make them for 3/8" and 1/4" drive as well

That is nice set up. Can you stack them on top of each other?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=OZ-T;6932538]I have a couple of these , they are made by Lisle , this one is for 1/2" sockets , they make them for 3/8" and 1/4" drive as well

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...239[/QUOTE]

Saw that same type of thing at Northern Tool today. I might have to get one.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
That is nice set up. Can you stack them on top of each other?
They aren't made to nest in each other and the sizes of the trays for each drive size are slightly different but they securely hold the sockets ( at least the 1/2" drive one does )
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

x2

I have a few of these too. The magnets are great at holding the sockets. The only downside I've found with them is that they take up a lot of space in the tool box. For now I've moved to the cheaper metal socket organizers like in the 2nd post, but I really like these.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I used one as a fixed socket storage tray in a custom tool box I made to fit behind the rear seats in my DC

The tray is fixed to the lid and the sockets in the bottom side of the tray actually travel in an upside down orientation , I've only had a couple fall out of place when I hit a large , unexpected bump , so in normal use they should stay fixed in the tray no problem

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #11

Firefighter:
Quote:
They aren't made to nest in each other and the sizes of the trays for each drive size are slightly different but they securely hold the sockets ( at least the 1/2" drive one does )
sweet thank you. I am going to give one of those a try and see how I like them.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Textbook Fucking Mental
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Lock a socket tray FTW Aaron.