Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Building Stairs....HELP

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Building Stairs....HELP

Building stairs off my front porch.

30" to the ground.

I've figured out i'll need 4 steps at 7.5" rise each. 10" run. Top step even with the porch.

I just use a regular square right to lay out my stringers?

Put a mark at 7.5 on the thin side and 10 on the thick side and line it up and mark my lines right?

Sorta like this...Top left corner...
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
I believe so..but after doing a set of porch stairs with a friend..we both agreed perfect stairs should be left for a professional stair maker XD
Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
Building stairs off my front porch.

30" to the ground.

I've figured out i'll need 4 steps at 7.5" rise each. 10" run. Top step even with the porch.

I just use a regular square right to lay out my stringers?

Put a mark at 7.5 on the thin side and 10 on the thick side and line it up and mark my lines right?

Sorta like this...Top left corner...
Yes , you use a framing square and yes , put one side on 7 1/2" ( rise ) and one side on 10" ( run )

After you cut those out you need to reduce the bottom rise by the thickness of the boards you are going to put on the stringers for steps

For example , if you are going to use standard 2x material , which is 1 1/2" thick , you need to reduce your bottom rise by 1 1/2" , or to 6" in your case