Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Flipping an exterior opening door for security door install

Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Flipping an exterior opening door for security door install

Alright handy fellas,

I'm going to install a couple security doors this week and one the the main doors opens out (exposed hinges). I know I need to flip the hinges by chiseling out new spots on the inside and just flip the door but not sure on how to make new holes in the frame for the door knob/deadbolt....spade bit? Looks like the door stop isn't centered perfect either so i guess that needs to be removed and re-installed in the right spot? I've just never done anything like this before.

With the other door, it looks like I will need to hack away some of the stucco to expose more of the frame for mounting. What's the best way to go about doing that without chipping too much away?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you need to flip the door ?

because the hinges are on the outside ?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Why do you need to flip the door ?

because the hinges are on the outside ?
Ya!? I'm confused?.....

Brett
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Catch 22

Inward opening doors are easy to kick open.
Outward opening doors (common in Europe BTW) are harder to kick open, but the exposed hinges are an issue if the intruder has time to work them (and an uninhabited shop, yes, they do).

Solution?
Keep the exterior hinges, but install 4 deadbolts, 2 on each side.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I'm installing security doors.....the heavy duty steal ones and I can't with the door attached to the outside frame. The security doors are made to install on doors that open to the inside and the steal door will open out. Unless I'm wrong?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You'll need a new door frame if it's a standard wood door/frame with weather seals.

Do you really need the "security" door, or would more deadbolts not be sufficient?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
It's a glass door so it needs the exterior one. Also a condo and that's what they want us to do. They're actually nice most of the year for the cross breeze.....just not in the 115* summer!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Catch 22

Inward opening doors are easy to kick open.
Outward opening doors (common in Europe BTW) are harder to kick open, but the exposed hinges are an issue if the intruder has time to work them (and an uninhabited shop, yes, they do).

Solution?
Keep the exterior hinges, but install 4 deadbolts, 2 on each side.
Or install NRP hinges
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #9

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody??
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly don't understand the question

If you are replacing the door , remove the entire jamb and replace with a prehung door that has a correct swing
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like he's adding a security door (sort of like a storm door) on front of the existing door and the outswing door is in the way of installing it.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Sounds like he's adding a security door (sort of like a storm door) on front of the existing door and the outswing door is in the way of installing it.
Sounds to me like he's adding a security door so the existing outswing door needs to become an inswing

If that is the case cut out the whole jamb and replace it with a door that swings and is weatherstripped correctly
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Hole saw..will make a beautiful round hole. Goes right on a drill..my advice is use an electric drill so you don't lose torque if it's a tough cut.

I had to do it on one door at my house..and more recently for the deck to install my pool ladder.

It will have a round saw that is somewhat cup-shaped and in the middle will be a drill bit to get you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Alright handy fellas,

I'm going to install a couple security doors this week and one the the main doors opens out (exposed hinges). I know I need to flip the hinges by chiseling out new spots on the inside and just flip the door but not sure on how to make new holes in the frame for the door knob/deadbolt....spade bit? Looks like the door stop isn't centered perfect either so i guess that needs to be removed and re-installed in the right spot? I've just never done anything like this before.

With the other door, it looks like I will need to hack away some of the stucco to expose more of the frame for mounting. What's the best way to go about doing that without chipping too much away?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Sounds to me like he's adding a security door so the existing outswing door needs to become an inswing

If that is the case cut out the whole jamb and replace it with a door that swings and is weatherstripped correctly
Yup.
The door can be reused, but the jamb can't.

At least the new frame will hide the existing notches for the hinges. Door will look bad when it's open unless they are filled and smoothed.

But if it's an expensive door, then it may be worth reusing.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not a fan of spade bits, ...i think forstner bits are better....
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
i'm not a fan of spade bits, ...i think forstner bits are better....
Depends what you are doing