LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Anyone know how to fix washing machines?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #21
bmka87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
That front loader has been pretty reliable. If you get one, use the correct "he" detergent and do not over soap it! If you use the bulk detergent from Costco (non "he"), you will destroy the bearings within a couple years and Whirlpool won't help you.
That's awesome! That makes all the reviews make sense. Seems like within 2ish years all the bearings went and people were complaining about it. They got a pretty good sale at HD right now for that, so maybe I'll just jump on it and get the 0% for 24 months.... Thanks for all the input!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmka87 View Post
That's awesome! That makes all the reviews make sense. Seems like within 2ish years all the bearings went and people were complaining about it. They got a pretty good sale at HD right now for that, so maybe I'll just jump on it and get the 0% for 24 months.... Thanks for all the input!
Another FYI -
After every load of wash, LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN. This allows the drum to dry out.

A lot of people complain about front loaders getting moldy/mildew smell. That's because they shut the door after they pull the clothes out. The moisture gets trapped in there. This might sound weird....but with my crazy work schedule...
Don't leave the clothes in the washer for longer than a day (with door closed). Same thing as above - clothes might smell like mildew.

And yes..... use the "he" style laundry detergents.

When installing the front loader - make sure it is LEVEL and firmly planted on a solid floor/surface. They have 'Out of Balance' sensors which detect out of balance loads (shaking, vibrating). They will slow the spin cycle down to redistribute the load. If the washer is not firmly and solidly placed on the floor, the sensors will not function properly.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #23

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
For anyone else that might have this problem, I ended up finding the solution. The knob to control the agitation/spin (slow/fast, etc.) was loose; so it wasn't fully clicking into the settings I was trying to use. Ended up tightening up the knob it is attached to and works fine. Fell like an idiot for such a simple fix....and also for buying a new washer dryer combo. But found a great 4th of July deal at Lowe's with 0% financing, so I think it all worked out in the end.

Thanks for all the advice, I really learned a lot through this process.....and to check knobs first!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
If it spins on the drain cycle I doubt it's a belt, unless there is more than one. My guess would be the knob/timer is bad or dirty.
Quote:
For anyone else that might have this problem, I ended up finding the solution. The knob to control the agitation/spin (slow/fast, etc.) was loose; so it wasn't fully clicking into the settings I was trying to use. Ended up tightening up the knob it is attached to and works fine. Fell like an idiot for such a simple fix....and also for buying a new washer dryer combo. But found a great 4th of July deal at Lowe's with 0% financing, so I think it all worked out in the end.

Thanks for all the advice, I really learned a lot through this process.....and to check knobs first!!!
I called it!! Now you can use this one to wash really nasty clothes or rags in the garage and not piss off the wife.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #25

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I called it!! Now you can use this one to wash really nasty clothes or rags in the garage and not piss off the wife.

I didn't thin of that! Good call!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It's not all that hard to troubleshot just about anything if ya do the research! Great news! You can pass the washer on to someone else (or just let lowes deal with it).

Our refrigerator is 17 years old. Still works great but the door hinge is messed up and the door doesn't shut properly. New hinge bushing is like $50.
I love Lowes!
They beat BestBuy price (was $300 cheaper than Lowes price) plus 10%. We used the Lowes card for another 5% off and we have an online rebate coming (Lowes Gift card). Can't complain about replacing old appliances!!

Oh... Check with your electric company. You may be eligible for a rebate for installing more energy efficient appliances!