LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Anyone know how to fix washing machines?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
bmka87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know how to fix washing machines?

I've been fighting with my washing machine for a while and can usually find the issue. This time, not so much. I've got an older (90's-early 2000's maybe) Kenmore top loader. Switch it to wash cycle and it fills with water, then nothing. I can switch it to spin cycle and it drains that way, and the machine spins. No rinse or wash cycle though. I don't have the money to go buy a new one right now.....

Anyone else had this situation before?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
If it spins on the drain cycle I doubt it's a belt, unless there is more than one. My guess would be the knob/timer is bad or dirty.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The machine spins?

Open up the unit and look underneath..... Also, open up the panel where all the switches are, look for any loose wires/plugs.

Inspect circuit board for any 'fried' components.

Google it...

The unit is 13+ years old...it's probably time for a new one.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
It spins and drains (thank god), when I move the knob to the spin cycle. I can't hear the motor run after it's done filling, but the knob timer keeps turning as if everything was working perfectly, except doesn't switch cycles on it's own (From wash to rinse, to spin).

Thanks for the link, i'll check that out. I'm going through google now and reading some write-ups for fixing the motor coupler, but I don't think it's that if it still spins. Maybe dead motor, espeically if i can't hear it?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmka87 View Post
It spins and drains (thank god), when I move the knob to the spin cycle. I can't hear the motor run after it's done filling, but the knob timer keeps turning as if everything was working perfectly, except doesn't switch cycles on it's own (From wash to rinse, to spin).

Thanks for the link, i'll check that out. I'm going through google now and reading some write-ups for fixing the motor coupler, but I don't think it's that if it still spins. Maybe dead motor, espeically if i can't hear it?
If its spinning....I would tend to believe the MAIN DRIVE motor & belt are fine.

There could be other motors - aka actuators, control modules, switches, etc - that cycle at certain points. If those actuators aren't cycling, the washer won't progress into the next cycle (per say). The system is looking for that input from the actuator ...and never gets it.

We had a Maytag Neptune that had a circuit board component fail which blew out a Wax motor. Who the frick ever heard of a wax motor?? Apparently, this little mechanism had wax in it that was energized/melted which prompted a shaft/signal to lock the door (front loader). If the door wasn't locked, the machine would just sit there after the wash cycle .... I'm not sure why it didn't get this 'lock' signal prior to starting the wash cycle. I guess it wasn't that 'advanced' LOL Maytag Neptune
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been fighting with my washing machine for a while and can usually find the issue. This time, not so much. I've got an older (90's-early 2000's maybe) Kenmore top loader. Switch it to wash cycle and it fills with water, then nothing. I can switch it to spin cycle and it drains that way, and the machine spins. No rinse or wash cycle though. I don't have the money to go buy a new one right now.....

Anyone else had this situation before?
Most Kenmores are Whirlpool built and will have a 110.------ model number. Assuming that, if it spins, the motor, motor capacitor, drive coupler (no belt on those), transmission, clutch are okay. Lid switch is okay too.

This is what I do all day, it's an unusual problem to have with the Whirlpools, usually it's a bad timer. You don't mention any noise coming from the motor like it's trying to start, there are two motor windings and the motor will usually hum when trying to start on only one winding, which is the most common scenario when dealing with a bad timer.

Like Janster said, check the wiring connections, a loose one will usually discolor the plastic connector and lead you right to it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Most Kenmores are Whirlpool built and will have a 110.------ model number. Assuming that, if it spins, the motor, motor capacitor, drive coupler (no belt on those), transmission, clutch are okay. Lid switch is okay too.

This is what I do all day, it's an unusual problem to have with the Whirlpools, usually it's a bad timer. You don't mention any noise coming from the motor like it's trying to start, there are two motor windings and the motor will usually hum when trying to start on only one winding, which is the most common scenario when dealing with a bad timer.

Like Janster said, check the wiring connections, a loose one will usually discolor the plastic connector and lead you right to it.

I'll check the connections and take off the control panel tonight when I get home from work to see if I can see anything. I really have no experience on understanding how these things work, but it seems to me that the timer works fine (after it quits the knob is still going but stops when it enters the rinse cycle) and there is no noise whatsoever once the water stops filling.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I'll check the connections and take off the control panel tonight when I get home from work to see if I can see anything. I really have no experience on understanding how these things work, but it seems to me that the timer works fine (after it quits the knob is still going but stops when it enters the rinse cycle) and there is no noise whatsoever once the water stops filling.
Funny thing: I told you that what you have is a rare set of symptoms, then I walk into the office this morning and our dispatcher is describing the same thing with her Kenmore, except hers won't spin. It does sound like bad cams or contacts inside the timer, the timer motor itself still activates the switches, the contacts just aren't doing what needs to be done.

Get the part number off the timer itself and type it into google......sometimes you can get a deal on Ebay or Amazon. There are companies who rebuild timers as well. Whirlpool parts have really gone up lately.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #10

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Funny thing: I told you that what you have is a rare set of symptoms, then I walk into the office this morning and our dispatcher is describing the same thing with her Kenmore, except hers won't spin. It does sound like bad cams or contacts inside the timer, the timer motor itself still activates the switches, the contacts just aren't doing what needs to be done.

Get the part number off the timer itself and type it into google......sometimes you can get a deal on Ebay or Amazon. There are companies who rebuild timers as well. Whirlpool parts have really gone up lately.
Wow, small world! I didn't get a chance to take off the control panel last night, had some unexpected things come up...I'm glad you wrote that about the timer though. I tried it again this morning and let it go through the full cycle. I put it on normal wash and let it do it's thing. It didn't do anything during the wash cycle (no sound of anything kicking on the motor at all, just silent) but went through the rinse cycle (spun and everything), and the spin cycle fine.

I think I found the timer, does this look right??

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/3946475/546898?modelNumber=110.92588210
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #11

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and I found the model number.....

Kenmore Washing Machine Model 110.92588210
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
tip

if you replace it never buy kenmore again, there are numerous
examples of extreme cost-cutting and components intended to fail,
not just shabby or low quality, but actually intended to fail after XYZ uses

front loader Kenmore are the worst culprit, but knowing 'this is how
sears holdings operates a business
' makes me spend my funds direct
to whirlpool or LG.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I fought with my GE for a few weeks. Ended up finding a used place and paid $300 for a slightly used front loading firgidare MSPR was $900.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
After looking up parts and thinking that if the timer doesn't fix the issue, I've been looking at new as an option. I found this....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...3#BVRRWidgetID

any thoughts? Reviews are all over the place. I'm up in the air between paying the $100 bucks for the part and attempting to fix it myself, or buying new.

I never thought about used, I'll check that out next!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Used was awesome. I bought new last time and they only lasted a few years. The set was like $1300. So finding a used front loader for $300 and not really caring now if it only lasts me 3 years. But hopefully it will last longer.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
Pictographer
triplejjj has a spectacular aura abouttriplejjj has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jerry
triplejjj's Tacoma Gallery
Go to this site, then go to answers. Search with your model number and look for someone with a similar problem or ask a question describing your issue and some one will answer.
I have had good results, it is a Sears web site so I'm sure it'll help.
http://www.managemylife.com
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After looking up parts and thinking that if the timer doesn't fix the issue, I've been looking at new as an option. I found this....

any thoughts? Reviews are all over the place. I'm up in the air between paying the $100 bucks for the part and attempting to fix it myself, or buying new.

Are you absolutely certain that $100 part will fix the problem?
Chances are... You're not totally sure. You might be on borrowed time. A washer that old, you may want to consider new.

I love front loaders. Had a Maytag Neptune for 15 years (limped it along)-never buy one of those again. We ended up with Samsung front loaders.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Quote:
Wow, small world! I didn't get a chance to take off the control panel last night, had some unexpected things come up...I'm glad you wrote that about the timer though. I tried it again this morning and let it go through the full cycle. I put it on normal wash and let it do it's thing. It didn't do anything during the wash cycle (no sound of anything kicking on the motor at all, just silent) but went through the rinse cycle (spun and everything), and the spin cycle fine.

I think I found the timer, does this look right??

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/3946475/546898?modelNumber=110.92588210
Yep, and I love their return policy!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Quote:

That front loader has been pretty reliable. If you get one, use the correct "he" detergent and do not over soap it! If you use the bulk detergent from Costco (non "he"), you will destroy the bearings within a couple years and Whirlpool won't help you.