Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

What to do with old Coal Furnace

Old 06-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
What to do with old Coal Furnace

Lets say my house runs on oil now, but the previous owner never removed the coal furnace. It sits in my basement and eats up a TON of real estate. Any ideas on what to do with it? Not too fond of people thinking I burn people in my house....

I was thinking of trying to put it up on craigslist, but then decided against it. My current idea is to break it down into small pieces and scrap it - but I have no idea if it is even worth my time. I will need to fund a way to cut it into pieces, pull out all the wire and motors, dispose of non-value pieces, etc. There is no way this will easily fit through my bulkhead either - I would need at least 5 people help push this up the stairs without dying. This thing is heavy as hell and I can barely even rock it enough to get a brick under it. I can take a picture of it later tonight but here is a general photo showing the basic idea of it (mine is much more dirty though and a bit older):
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
You could start to burn people.

What turned you off to Craigslist. You can put it up there for a little money, and say "you haul away" then you make a little something, and its out of the house.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to start with state or federal regulations, I know in MA if you want your oil tank removed it needs to be done by a professional according to environmental regs.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
You might want to start with state or federal regulations, I know in MA if you want your oil tank removed it needs to be done by a professional according to environmental regs.
I wouldn't think a coal furnace would matter, but who knows these days. No real contaminants with that vs. the oil tank still having traces of oil.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Kill room.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
There are loopholes with that one, it's not that black and white.

As far as the coal furnace, I would throw it on Craigslist and put on, you haul it away. Sometimes professionals will come and get it. Do your research, sometimes those old stoves are desirable and will bring some decent $$! I would imagine it could be convered to a wood or pellet stove easily enough and those things are pricey.

If you want to scrap it, it doesn't need to be in one piece, you could literally break it and haul it in. They pay by the pound for scrap metal. A little bit of time with a sledge, I'm sure you could break that thing apart to managable pieces.

If you need to get the thing out of the basement, it could be managed with a come along.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
As far as the coal furnace, I would throw it on Craigslist and put on, you haul it away.
Repost.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Repost.
I elaborated