1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do with old Coal Furnace

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by guitarjamman, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Lets say my house runs on oil now, but the previous owner never removed the coal furnace. It sits in my basement and eats up a TON of real estate. Any ideas on what to do with it? Not too fond of people thinking I burn people in my house....

I was thinking of trying to put it up on craigslist, but then decided against it. My current idea is to break it down into small pieces and scrap it - but I have no idea if it is even worth my time. I will need to fund a way to cut it into pieces, pull out all the wire and motors, dispose of non-value pieces, etc. There is no way this will easily fit through my bulkhead either - I would need at least 5 people help push this up the stairs without dying. This thing is heavy as hell and I can barely even rock it enough to get a brick under it. I can take a picture of it later tonight but here is a general photo showing the basic idea of it (mine is much more dirty though and a bit older):
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    You could start to burn people. :notsure:

What turned you off to Craigslist. You can put it up there for a little money, and say "you haul away" then you make a little something, and its out of the house.

3. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You might want to start with state or federal regulations, I know in MA if you want your oil tank removed it needs to be done by a professional according to environmental regs.

4. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I wouldn't think a coal furnace would matter, but who knows these days. No real contaminants with that vs. the oil tank still having traces of oil.

5. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Kill room.

6. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There are loopholes with that one, it's not that black and white.

As far as the coal furnace, I would throw it on Craigslist and put on, you haul it away. Sometimes professionals will come and get it. Do your research, sometimes those old stoves are desirable and will bring some decent $$! I would imagine it could be convered to a wood or pellet stove easily enough and those things are pricey.

If you want to scrap it, it doesn't need to be in one piece, you could literally break it and haul it in. They pay by the pound for scrap metal. A little bit of time with a sledge, I'm sure you could break that thing apart to managable pieces.

If you need to get the thing out of the basement, it could be managed with a come along.

7. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Repost. :p :D

8. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I elaborated :cool: