LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Jerry Can

Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Jerry Can

I don't routinely carry spare fuel in a vehicle but I do store fuel for a tractor and other equipment. (Diesel, Gasoline, Kerosene) I got tired of the cheap plastic cans and other junk on the market. I found these new Jerry cans sold by Deutsche Optik. http://deutscheoptik.com/Militaria-Tools/NATO-20-Liter-Jerry-Can-SET-OF-FOUR.html

If you buy four the shipping is free. You can also purchase any number less than 4 and pay for the shipping.

I don't know if they are the sole source for these cans but I believe they may be.
They aren't cheap but they are very well made. These have proven to be the best fuel cans I've used. The 20 liter (5 gal +/-) are marked "Not for fuel use" in order to comply with the bed-wetting liberals on the left coast, but they make Great fuel cans!

Not attempting to sell anything just thought I'd share for the folks out there that may be in the market for high quality Jerry Cans. For something that you only need to buy once, these get my vote.
Attached Thumbnails
Jerry Can-photo.jpg  
Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
$50 a pop
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, not Cheap but worth it IMHO. Really wish I could find another source but they may the sole supplier.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
daaaaamn. I got mine for $10 each at a garage sale.
One thing to note is that when I filled mine and went driving through the mountain passes, the volume inside expanded and cracked one of the plastic caps and then was leaking gas till I put it in the tank. Im trying to figure out a way to prevent that on for next time.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
The NATO cans have a lever type, attached lid. It never leaks, you can't lose it and you can attach a spout to it. I don't know what gauge sheet metal is used for the NATO cans, but it's fairly thick. The cans weigh about 9.5 lbs. empty. They are far tougher than the run of mill cans available on the market. The high cost is the problem.
The old G.I. cans with the big screw type lids were OK but they are about impossible to find these days unless they are rust buckets. I also believe the lever type lid is superior.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
thewizzer is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Dave
thewizzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
$50 a pop
Where do you see $50? Shows up as $196 per can for me.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
The link doesn't show the per can price but I've purchased single cans from them. They are actually $49.00/each but if you buy 4 the shipping is free.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the link for per can cost:
http://deutscheoptik.com/Militaria-T...INGLE-CAN.html
Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad you guys can't buy Scepter MFC cans anymore , I just picked some up and love them
Old 06-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizzer View Post
Where do you see $50? Shows up as $196 per can for me.
It's $196 for 4 with free shipping
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
It's my hope that by posting this someone will know of an alternate source at a better price. Usually when a good quality item shows up on the market someone will offer a comparable product at a better price. I'll be the first to say that $49 for a 20 liter Jerry Can is steep.
Can one find cheaper cans of lessor quality? -absolutely.
Can one find comparable cans at a better price? - I'm really hoping so.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
thewizzer is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Dave
thewizzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
It's $196 for 4 with free shipping
Thanks. I need to work on my reading comprehension
Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I have several I bought a few years ago for about $40 each. Considering the way inflation has been, that is not a bad price for a can you should never have to replace.

However, check out this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Jer...91a353&vxp=mtr

Or:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=904142
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I'm talking about!

Free Enterprise!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #15
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
I have several I bought a few years ago for about $40 each. Considering the way inflation has been, that is not a bad price for a can you should never have to replace.

However, check out this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Jer...91a353&vxp=mtr

Or:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=904142
The E-bay one looks OK from just the photo but the second link to the Sportsman Guide page shows a cheap Chinese knock-off. You can see the raised seam where the two halves are welded. It probably has thinner steel and no lining.

That's the problem with these things. You can make one for less money that sort of looks right but isn't the same quality.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Too bad you guys can't buy Scepter MFC cans anymore , I just picked some up and love them
ship one to me already
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
The NATO cans have a lever type, attached lid. It never leaks, you can't lose it and you can attach a spout to it. I don't know what gauge sheet metal is used for the NATO cans, but it's fairly thick. The cans weigh about 9.5 lbs. empty. They are far tougher than the run of mill cans available on the market. The high cost is the problem.
The old G.I. cans with the big screw type lids were OK but they are about impossible to find these days unless they are rust buckets. I also believe the lever type lid is superior.
I have one of those I got at a garage sale(excellent shape). I think it's from the Marines or Army, I can't remember.It has a metal lid that screws on. It's hard to pour the gas out without it spilling.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
The E-bay one looks OK from just the photo but the second link to the Sportsman Guide page shows a cheap Chinese knock-off. You can see the raised seam where the two halves are welded. It probably has thinner steel and no lining.

That's the problem with these things. You can make one for less money that sort of looks right but isn't the same quality.
I wouldn't bet either is first quality. There is no description. Why doesn't someone order and report to the rest of us?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I purchased the expensive one, it's someone else's turn!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I've got these jerry cans and I'm really happy with them. They are all metal, including all the hardware on the lid, and use a lever lock instead of a screw on lid. (which I really like) They've been worth the cash for me, as they've held up over numerous multiday expo trips.