Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

toilet flapper

Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Question toilet flapper

replaced my toilet flapper with a new one but the darn tank still loses it's water. The chain isn't kinked, filler hose, valve, float all seem to be where they are supposed to. The lip the flapper seats on is smooth and free of any knicks etc..whats next?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Is the water still running? It could appear seated, but still not, make sure the flapper is chained to the right "link" on the "flusher arm" thing. I've encountered this before and just had to give a little more slack in the chain..
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
If it's a old toilet it could have a crack in the overflow pipe or seat where the flapper seals but you don't see that a lot, if it's a newer 1.6 gallon model make sure you have the right flapper some of them are lager than the old type. I would try a different brand flapper and see if that helps and keep about 1/2 inch of slack on the chain.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
If it's a old toilet it could have a crack in the overflow pipe or seat where the flapper seals but you don't see that a lot, if it's a newer 1.6 gallon model make sure you have the right flapper some of them are lager than the old type. I would try a different brand flapper and see if that helps and keep about 1/2 inch of slack on the chain.

yest it is a 1.6 gallon flush. I put some stop cock grease on the flapper and it appears that it is sealed correctly. I will take your advice and try a differe3nt flapper tomorrow when I get out.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
www.okledlightbars.com
zilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
zilla68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
yest it is a 1.6 gallon flush. I put some stop cock grease on the flapper and it appears that it is sealed correctly. I will take your advice and try a differe3nt flapper tomorrow when I get out.

I'm going thru this also right now, can you tell me what it is your talking about with this grease?

I replaced the whole unit, pulled the tank and all, and am still getting a slight amount of seepage.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Hey, if you replaced the whole flush vale it could be the fill valve leaking through, i like the fluid master pro valves, you can test the flapper by putting some type of dye or cake food coloring in the tank and let it set for a few minutes and if turns the bowl that color, you know it's the flapper or your chain is to tight lifting it up some. If it didn't turn colors in the bowl, then replace the fill valve and check the small over flow tube to be sure its not too far down in the over flow pipe, that can let some water trickle down that pipe, hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
www.okledlightbars.com
zilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
zilla68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
Hey, if you replaced the whole flush vale it could be the fill valve leaking through, i like the fluid master pro valves, you can test the flapper by putting some type of dye or cake food coloring in the tank and let it set for a few minutes and if turns the bowl that color, you know it's the flapper or your chain is to tight lifting it up some. If it didn't turn colors in the bowl, then replace the fill valve and check the small over flow tube to be sure its not too far down in the over flow pipe, that can let some water trickle down that pipe, hope this helps.

I replaced the flapper and the fill valve and everything else. I did put cherry kool aid in the tank and it did turn the bowl red, so its got a little leakage, but the kit I bought has everything in it including the handle. Chain is loose and adjusted correctly, that's why I'm at a loss.
I have the fill valve adjusted to stop about 1/4 inch below the little overflow pipe.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

That sounds like the flapper is not sealing like you said, sometimes you get one that will not seal good, you could try a different brand flapper some are made of a softer rubber or vinyl and see if that helps.