Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Outdoor built in bbq

Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
I'll be painting all the metal along with capping all the ends. It'll be right next to sprinklers so I'll do the best I can. I'll be mounting the frame to some trex to keep it off the ground
The Trex will help a lot.

After rebuilding the fence, I drilled a series of drain holes along the bottom, then heavily fogged the inside with Rust-Oleum.
Won't last forever, but it'll outlast the original.

The BBQ on the other hand... with the stainless support for the tile, it WILL last forever.
The original was steel straps, layer of chipboard, and the concrete was floated on that.
I went with 3" x 1/4" stainless strap, layer of Wonderboard, and floated 4" of concrete on that. Concrete was reinforced with expanded aluminum lath on the bottom, and 3/32 stainless 3" mesh in the middle.

If that counter top ever cracks, I'll eat it.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Rust-oleum is for sure happening! I guess I could try fogging the inside like you said...and that table top you made..wellI don't think you'll have to eat it anytime soon

So I didn't make as much progress as I wanted. I had a mismeasurement that set me back about an hour. Nonetheless, I got the grill mount near finished. The grill slides right in between the two side supports.

I'll fully weld the grill support tomorrow. Now I need to pick out a mini fridge and a drawer/cabinet combo so I can finish the frame.

first shot of the grill going in

from behind
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass
killianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shed

killianeric's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!

It reminds me of my dads somewhat, but he built his with brick

Then put a 4.5 or 5 inch concrete slab for the bar area

With the matching fire pit. This is the only picture I have of it finished.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
^ That looks really nice, the finished product is amazing!

So i'm pricing out the build in bbq cabinet/drawers..holy crap, they're expensive! Cheapest I can find for a 2 drawer single cabinet combo is like $450 dollars before tax and shipping. I don't know if I need storage in the BBQ THAT bad!

I'm scouring craigslist for a stainless front mini fridge. There seems to be quite a few for decent price tags too. Most between $80 ~ $150
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #27
killianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks! Just be careful, once you start doing things to your house you won't be able to stop like my dad haha.

The backyard when we moved in the house in 2007

As of this year
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, transformation. That was definitely a lot of work! I'm really diggin the barn he built.

I've had my house since 2009 and you better believe I've been doing home improvement stuff since the day I bought it. I ran my own gas line in the back yard to our jacuzzi originally. Later, I tee'd off of the line and built my own fire pit. You can see it in some of the earlier pics in this thread. This built in bbq is definitely my biggest one yet, aside from redoing all 3 bathrooms in the house.

Anyway, I was able to find a relatively inexpensive access door. It cost $128 shipped from home depot. 27" x "20. I realized I NEED an access door regardless if I wanted it or not. Still need to buy some lighting and a mini fridge
Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Awesome, transformation. That was definitely a lot of work! I'm really diggin the barn he built.

I've had my house since 2009 and you better believe I've been doing home improvement stuff since the day I bought it. I ran my own gas line in the back yard to our jacuzzi originally. Later, I tee'd off of the line and built my own fire pit. You can see it in some of the earlier pics in this thread. This built in bbq is definitely my biggest one yet, aside from redoing all 3 bathrooms in the house.

Anyway, I was able to find a relatively inexpensive access door. It cost $128 shipped from home depot. 27" x "20. I realized I NEED an access door regardless if I wanted it or not. Still need to buy some lighting and a mini fridge
And thats just the backyard! The inside has change drastically too. Luckily my dad didn't have to run more gas lines, there was already the lines there and he just built around them.

Just a tip for lighting. At home depot or lowes, maybe both, they have LED strips. My dad ran those underneath the bar part and those alternate colors. Then on the front side he put them under the lip and those ones are white. On the canopy or whatever its called he used rope lights up there. They have individual switches too.

He also ran it underneath the cabinets when he redid the kitchen.

Heres the before picture

He cut out the wall to open it up to the living room, since he redid that too

Sorry for blowing up your thread with my pictures!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So i'm pricing out the build in bbq cabinet/drawers..holy crap, they're expensive! Cheapest I can find for a 2 drawer single cabinet combo is like $450 dollars before tax and shipping. I don't know if I need storage in the BBQ THAT bad!

I'm scouring craigslist for a stainless front mini fridge. There seems to be quite a few for decent price tags too. Most between $80 ~ $150
Stainless drawer slides from McMaster-Carr. You can get a nice pair for $50.

Build the rest out of a quality wood and seal it up well.
The BBQ above was done like that and it's been holding up great since 2009.
The 2 doors just open into the bottom of the enclosure.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #31
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by killianeric View Post
And thats just the backyard! The inside has change drastically too. Luckily my dad didn't have to run more gas lines, there was already the lines there and he just built around them.

Just a tip for lighting. At home depot or lowes, maybe both, they have LED strips. My dad ran those underneath the bar part and those alternate colors. Then on the front side he put them under the lip and those ones are white. On the canopy or whatever its called he used rope lights up there. They have individual switches too.

He cut out the wall to open it up to the living room, since he redid that too

Sorry for blowing up your thread with my pictures!
It's all good, I think I'm going to veneer the bbq how your dad's island in the kitchen is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Stainless drawer slides from McMaster-Carr. You can get a nice pair for $50.

Build the rest out of a quality wood and seal it up well.
The BBQ above was done like that and it's been holding up great since 2009.
The 2 doors just open into the bottom of the enclosure.
I found a 27"x20" stainless access door that I'll put right below the grill.

So made some good progress today! I was able to get this grill in place. Almost everything is welded. I just need the access door which has been ordered and find a mini fridge

Action shot!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
So I picked up a mini fridge for $150 brand new from costco. It fits perfectly under the frame. I've decided on a stone veneer for the outside instead of stucco.

The only thing I am waiting on is the access door which should be here tomorrow. Once I get that part welding, I'll have to grind all the welds semi flat on the sides and top to make sure the hardi backer is flush. Probably not necessary but I'm gonna do it anyway.

After the access door, it's on to priming and lining the bottom with trex.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I picked up a mini fridge for $150 brand new from costco. It fits perfectly under the frame. I've decided on a stone veneer for the outside instead of stucco.

Curious, but why choose to center the fridge on that side, versus moving it to one side or the other... perhaps may have opened up additional storage space?

Grill and Fridge looks good in the setup though
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Ronnie, for someone who is learning to weld, you are doing a great job on that project! I can't wait to see it finished, that's a lot of work.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGT View Post
Curious, but why choose to center the fridge on that side, versus moving it to one side or the other... perhaps may have opened up additional storage space?

Grill and Fridge looks good in the setup though
Well, two reasons regarding additional storage. First, I probably won't be storing anything in them. I can't think of anything I'd like to leave outside. Second, stainless drawers are retardedly expensive.

I bought an access door with a flange and that cost me $128. The access door I absolutely needed. So basically, I wasn't planning on adding anymore storage so I centered it. The door should come today, but my weekend is packed with anniversary day and wedding stuff so I dont think I can do much, if any work on it
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The door should come today, but my weekend is packed with anniversary day and wedding stuff so I dont think I can do much, if any work on it
Working on BBQ is perfect for excuse to anniversary day and wedding stuff...

Says the single guy
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGT View Post
Working on BBQ is perfect for excuse to anniversary day and wedding stuff...

Says the single guy
trust me, I'd rather work on the bbq, haha

Hope my sister or gf never see this
Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The only thing I am waiting on is the access door which should be here tomorrow. Once I get that part welding, I'll have to grind all the welds semi flat on the sides and top to make sure the hardi backer is flush. Probably not necessary but I'm gonna do it anyway.

After the access door, it's on to priming and lining the bottom with trex.

I am so disappointed in you... why is that not a kegerrator?

stone instead of stucco looks 1000x better IMO
Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
I am so disappointed in you... why is that not a kegerrator?

stone instead of stucco looks 1000x better IMO
lol, yes a few of my friends have argued with me on that one...I don't think I'll be having enough beer to justify having a kegerator...but if I change my mind I can retro fit one in the door of the fridge I have now.

So I got the door on friday and I actually fitted in last night, not tonight. I just now finally have some time to get onto the computer...crazy busy weekend so far. I fit the access door. The frame is pretty much done, I just need to weld some angle iron on the edge so I can put a lip of tile on the side