LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Outdoor built in bbq

Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Custom built in bbq

This will be the thread I post all my pictures from my homemade built in bbq. No welding skills whatsoever. Thought I'd give it a go and seems to be coming along nicely.

Spending report
Grill: $1,080
Access door: $128
Mini Fridge: $160
Metal: $187
Primer: $35
Cement Board: $60
Random stuff: $280
Liquid membrane (the pink stuff): $100
Aluminum Frame for fridge area: $15
Stone veneer: $580 (12 boxes)
bull nose tile: $300
umbrella: $90

----------------------------
$3,015

Total hours so far: 60ish

Current Pic
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
A small part of me dies every time I see a gas grill bought

To me, going through the effort of BUILDING your own MasterGrill area would seem so much more difficult than lighting up a chimney starter 20 mins before you wanna start cooking.

On that note... very much looking forward to watching this happen

Wish I knew how to weld
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I have natural gas running right where it's going...I've never had the patience for charcoal

My roommate knows how to weld, I don't. I'm sort of using this project to teach myself. I've played around welding, but I figure this is a good time to learn. He's been giving me tips on wire speed, heat etc. My weld don't look terrible, but they sure can use some practice. I welded the whole bottom frame last night
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Does not suffer fools lightly
linzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud oflinzy77 has much to be proud of

Name: Linzy
linzy77's Tacoma Gallery
- You could build your own but I second the bad idea on the Char-Broil (Crap grills and It will be rusted out in a couple yrs)
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
Well, I have natural gas running right where it's going...I've never had the patience for charcoal
I won't give you grief, I know to each their own and all that.... just so long as you acknowledge that charcoal/wood is far superior
Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I still haven't decided on what grill I am getting yet, but I got a lot of the main frame cut and welded. I must say, I am getting quite a bit better at welding You can almost see the progression of my first welds to my last ones. They are now at least smooth and not bubbly.

one of my better welds
Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
yippee ki yay mother cluckers
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
make it a full size wood burner! peach would or maple wood in there.. mmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
I was wondering if anyone has done a built in where the bbq can just slide in and out and sort of build the "built in bbq" island around it. So like I said, I just have the base frame and the size I'm looking for, just wondering about a portable grill built into the island and or if it is a bad idea
Works just fine.

Buy the BBQ and simply don't assemble it to the cart. Take measurements and build the enclosure to fit.

I rebuilt my buddy's brick BBQ a few years ago. The salt air had corroded the steel support structure, causing it to swell and break the tile and masonry work apart. I tore out the damaged areas and rebuilt it using stainless supports for the tile top.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
so I ended up find a sweet deal on a pretty nice grill top. It was a bull-bbq 4 burner natural gas for $1k and also came with a 2 year warranty on the burners and 20 on the enclosure. I'll get pics of that later.

The frame still has a bit of work to do, but I added most of the supports today. Had to stop because it started raining. Next part will be making the cage for the grill

welds are looking way better! Not bad for only my second day of welding
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Looking sharp... just be sure to protect the frame from rust. Even with the outside painted, water will get into the inside and rust it out from there.
Buddy lives at the beach and the entire lower bar on the fence around his back yard was full of water.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Looks goods OP.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Hmmmm

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Woot!! Progress

still boo on the gas grill though
Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
bmka87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
coming along, end result should be pretty sweet!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
Hmmmm

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
I have questions now...

Why did you choose to arrange the grill built-in the way you did? Based on the original photo, and comparing to the more recent ones, it looks like you're putting the grill in the long leg of the L-shape, and why not flip the L-shape (again, referencing the original photo) so that as you're standing at the grill, you're facing into what I'm assuming is a more open area of the patio.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGT View Post
I have questions now...

Why did you choose to arrange the grill built-in the way you did? Based on the original photo, and comparing to the more recent ones, it looks like you're putting the grill in the long leg of the L-shape, and why not flip the L-shape (again, referencing the original photo) so that as you're standing at the grill, you're facing into what I'm assuming is a more open area of the patio.
Actually I haven't posted a photo of where it is going to go. Let me see if I can find one

edit: These pics should better explain its final resting spot

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Looking sharp... just be sure to protect the frame from rust. Even with the outside painted, water will get into the inside and rust it out from there.
Buddy lives at the beach and the entire lower bar on the fence around his back yard was full of water.
I'll be painting all the metal along with capping all the ends. It'll be right next to sprinklers so I'll do the best I can. I'll be mounting the frame to some trex to keep it off the ground