Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Recommend an electric impact wrench

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
joesmith is on a distinguished road
joesmith's Tacoma Gallery
Recommend an electric impact wrench

I am looking to purchase an electric impact wrench for when I need to fix my vehicles. I am not opposed to an air gun but I would need to purchase the air compressor as well.

What are some good quality brands that work well?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how much you plan on using it, you might want to look into the Chicago Tools brand (Harbor Freight's brand of tools). I have one and it seems to work well for what it is. I've only had it for about a year but it's strong and gets the job done. It was also pretty inexpensive.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
We have the corded dewalt. It's pretty good. But I have a ingersoll rand 1/2" air impact that blows the electric impact out of the water. But you need a fairly big compressor/tank combo to push it. If I could go back I would probably get the 18volt impact instead of the electric just because now that I have the air, I don't use the corded impact. And if I had the 18volt, I could work on stuff out in the yard. The main reason we didn't get the 18volt to begin with is because the corded version had a little more torque. Another big problem with the corded impact is that it is huge. There are very few places that you can use it other that removing wheels.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
joesmith is on a distinguished road
joesmith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
We have the corded dewalt. It's pretty good. But I have a ingersoll rand 1/2" air impact that blows the electric impact out of the water. But you need a fairly big compressor/tank combo to push it. If I could go back I would probably get the 18volt impact instead of the electric just because now that I have the air, I don't use the corded impact. And if I had the 18volt, I could work on stuff out in the yard. The main reason we didn't get the 18volt to begin with is because the corded version had a little more torque. Another big problem with the corded impact is that it is huge. There are very few places that you can use it other that removing wheels.
I was looking at this one, need to see about a compressor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRM3I/

Most of the electric seem to be bulky, underpowered or pricy.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That looks identical to the one I have. I don't know the model of mine because I got it from work after they replaced it with a new one but I oiled it up and it works as good as new. I love it.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Run it
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
If you go air get an IngersollRand. My dad bought one about 4 months ago and it's great
Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Hehehe I've got a IR 2135TIQ Max, FWIW I've used an MG725 quite a bit and they're nice but I like my 2135 better

but I'd like a cordless 1/2"

Probably a bosch or makita maybe IR or snap-on

far as non cordless err con cord IDK

dewalt probably but that's gay, go pneumatic or cordless

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tested-gearbox
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also I've got a Makita impact driver and drill with the lithium ion batteries, fricking love them. So it'd be nice to have the 1/2 impact too, they share same batteries. And it's one of the better impacts out there.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice

Name: Donnie
02sr5trd's Tacoma Gallery
Guess I should chime in here considering I am the head technician at www.powertoolrepairohio.com. I defiantly would recommend that you go with the air powered as you will find many tasks just cant be handles with an electric. If you do go with a electric a corded tool will defiantly get you more power but will limit you to where you can use it, a cordless is a great option in a pinch but the batteries just don't last long enough, and if you don't use them often the batteries will go dead over time unless you go with a good lithium ion. The tool you are looking at IR231c is s good gun it has been around for years. If you don't get a big compressor I would recommend a IR2131 or IR2135ti these composite models tend to run better in low air situations. Check out our web site or give us a call if you need any info. we also sell used reconditioned tools that we do guarantee.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #11

IR makes great guns though.

http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-2130.aspx

And a lot of people really like aircat tools, but I have no direct experience, you can get a lot of torque for cheap though.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice

Air cat is good. They are real picky on their warranty tho
Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #13

edit: have to eat my words there, car and driver specs are a little different than rated specs

double edit: oh I'm getting one!

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...rque-impactool
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #14

The Mikita btw450 I one of the best cordless IMO. Infers ill rands new w7150 is amazing also but they are working out some bugs.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I own many air tools and have some that are electric. For starters i have the older non lithium snap-on 1/2 impact driver. It was bought new off a truck and is amazing, yes it was around $450 but i've used it hundreds of times. All electric tools are good until they need to be charged again. On the flip side I also have/had many air tools also. I own both the 1/2 and 3/8 snap on MG impact guns and have no problems at all with them. Yes the 1/2 mg is heavier than the IR Ti I used to have but it started having problems, even though I had it re built twice. I liked it when it was working. But then again air tools are only good if you get a compressor with a big enough pump and air tank to use them. A 1/2 air impact is no good using a 50ft 3/8 hose, a 1/2 hp compressor, and a 2gal tank. If you plan on doing alot of mechanical stuff, more so than just rotating the tires on your wives car and your truck, get a decent compressor and hose for "using" it.

I hate bringing my impact over to my buds house with his 3/8 hose and compressor. It serves me almost no purpose if I can only use the impact for 10 seconds with the pressure rapidly dropping, and then have to wait for the compressor to catch up. A air compressor used for a nail gun might work for that tool, but not for a high volume air impact.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Depending on how much you plan on using it, you might want to look into the Chicago Tools brand (Harbor Freight's brand of tools). I have one and it seems to work well for what it is. I've only had it for about a year but it's strong and gets the job done. It was also pretty inexpensive.
I agree, I have been totally satisfied with mine. I won't pretend that there aren't much better tools on the market, but you can't beat $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-E...ODA1MiJ9%0D%0A
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #17

Suppose that depends on your intended use.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Milwaukee corded 1/2 inch, because I don't have air (other than a pancake nailer) and couldn't justify all the outlay financially and spatially for air (as much as I would love it). Don't have the model handy, but's it's been great for removing lugs for rotations, really speeds things up. I plan to use it for other construction projects where it would help (big timbers/bolts). If you are interested, I'll dig up the model number.

It's a bit too bulky for some areas under the truck.

Konaborne got a cheaper one he likes, PM him, too.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Rigid from home depot, lifetime warranty if you register online. Drill, impact, radio for $199 in a case. Lifetime batteries is a deal, no one else offers lifetime batteries. Or the new brushless miluakee.

Products Discussed in this Thread