Notices

New vs Repaired Garage

View Poll Results: Repair or replace?
Repair the garage 12 54.55%
Replace the garage 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I don't plan on using your help for this, so I think I might be OK.
i think chris' expertise with demolition would come in handy should you decide to go the route of a new garage

with that said...i'd check into how intensive/expensive it would be to get the old one "safe" with a good foundation first
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
mjp2 is living vicariously through me.
martie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: smartie pants
martie's Tacoma Gallery
My vote is for a new one. However, I may be completely biased considering I just spend the entire weekend painting/tearing up carpet/other renovations in my old home.

If you asked me on Friday, I would've said fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
How's the layout? Would it be easy to build a breezeway between the house and garage to at least keep you out of the rain as you walk between the two?
That's what an umbrella is for

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
send some drawings to me, i might be able to do something for ya....
I just realized you're an architect! I went to school for Architecture for two years until I switched majors to IT.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #23
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
uh oh, Ed has a lot of idle time on his hands???
must avoid fap before the wedding LMAO
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by martie View Post
My vote is for a new one. However, I may be completely biased considering I just spend the entire weekend painting/tearing up carpet/other renovations in my old home.

If you asked me on Friday, I would've said fix it

That's what an umbrella is for

I just realized you're an architect! I went to school for Architecture for two years until I switched majors to IT.
Very nice, you choose wisely to switch LMAO
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I guess that there are really 3 options, but the one I didn't mention because it is not as appealing to me.

Option 3:
Tear down old garage, poor new slab over existing foundation, rebuild 1 story garage

Pro:
Moderately priced
Well built
Increases home value
Should last a lifetime

Cons:
Expensive
1 story
Smaller
Still keeps washer and dryer outside

If I were to go with Option 2 of tearing down the garage and rebuilding, I would make it attached to my house so that we can have additional living space above the garage.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
martie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shedmartie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

martie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very nice, you choose wisely to switch LMAO
I loved it and still do. I'm looking forward to being able to design my own home one day.

It was the subjective nature of it and the insane hours in studio that killed it for me. I didn't want a career that was my entire life.

I give major props to you - it's a challenging career
Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
I loved it and still do. I'm looking forward to being able to design my own home one day.

It was the subjective nature of it and the insane hours in studio that killed it for me. I didn't want a career that was my entire life.

I give major props to you - it's a challenging career
Yeah! I love it, i just don't love the pay and all the extra work, I work for myself, that means I am my own boss and I get my own clients, but Its been hard, specially with this economy, but my thoughts are that this might be a good year, not everyone can afford to hire a big architecture firm, and I can do the same job for less money, I hope I am right
Old 03-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #28

martie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah! I love it, i just don't love the pay and all the extra work, I work for myself, that means I am my own boss and I get my own clients, but Its been hard, specially with this economy, but my thoughts are that this might be a good year, not everyone can afford to hire a big architecture firm, and I can do the same job for less money, I hope I am right
That's pretty ideal. I know quite a few of my friends who are working for Architecture firms that are unfortunately floundering. It's tough right now but hopefully your strategy pays off!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa...
When did this subforum get created??

It's like Christmas at TW.. It keeps giving..

Okay now enlighten me and...

Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #30
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was made over the weekend.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #31
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I had my dad and one of his retired construction cheapskate friends come over. We decided to save the garage.

Steps:
1. Reinforce Columns on first floor
2. Jack up ridge line of roof
3. Pull leaning wall in
4. Install columns to support ridge line
5. Install additional cross members to hold roof in.
6. New roof
7. New exterior wall
8. Start building baja truck
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #32
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had my dad and one of his retired construction cheapskate friends come over. We decided to save the garage.

Steps:
3. Pull leaning wall in
6. New roof
7. New exterior wall
Could you please elaborate on #8?

Oh, and glad to hear it was just a support job/fix on the garage walls and roof.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #33

martie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Steps:
3. Pull leaning wall in
6. New roof
7. New exterior wall

How YOU doin'
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #34
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Could you please elaborate on #8?

Oh, and glad to hear it was just a support job/fix on the garage walls and roof.
The foundation will always be messed up, but I can live with that. I would just be happy to have a place that can keep the rain and animals out.

Quote:
How YOU doin'
well, I don't actually have a baja truck. It is more like a 10 year old civic, but I'm enough of an asshole to make up for it.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #35

Quote:
How YOU doin'
Im building a baja truck too.....
Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #36
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im building a baja truck too.....
shut up Ed! Your wife is pregnant!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #37

martie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shut up Rob! Your wife is pregnant!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #38
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
or is she?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Quote:
Shut up! Mike is pregnant!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #40
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shut up! Mike is pregnant!
I'd like to be there for the delivery.