Notices

New vs Repaired Garage

View Poll Results: Repair or replace?
Repair the garage 12 54.55%
Replace the garage 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
New vs Repaired Garage

What are your thoughts? I'm skeptical to put any money into a garage that has a bad foundation, but if I were to tear it down, I would end up having a lot of expenses. I'll post up some pictures when I get home.

Current Garage Pros:
1500 S.F.
2 Stories
Relatively Cheap to repair
Already has gas, electric, cable, water, internet

Current Garage Negatives:
Some termite damage
Some Water Rot
Needs new roof and roof decking
1 wall is leaning outward
Foundation is cracked
Garage door does not function
1 wall needs new siding
Exterior needs to be painted
Washer and Dryer are in here and the garage is detached

New Garage Pros:
Weather/Critter Tight
Could provide attached washer/dryer to house
Could park a car in garage

New Garage Cons:
Expensive
Much Smaller
Demolition might kill Live Oak Tree
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice

40204ever's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to 40204ever
Fix the old one. Unless you have the money and time to start over. You can repair alot for what a 1/3 of a new one would cost.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
WoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWoadWunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Warrant Officer
Name: Peter
WoadWunner's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to kill good trees when I could do the fix up cheaper
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Need pics, especially of the foundation damage.

Based on the leaning wall I'd bet the the roof is sagging. Jack up the roof center beam to straighten it and the wall will likely straighten too. Add some supports and you're set.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i say go for the reapir if the foundation isnt that bad damaged. you may be able to fix the foundation pretty cheap if you look into it and the damage isnt too bad.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
First, I'll have to uncover the floor...some jerk filled up the garage with a bunch of crap.

But I'll get some pictures.

Yes, the roof is sagging. I was thinking about jacking up the roof and then coming back in with a come-a-long to pull the leaning wall in. Then I would add in some bracing to hold the rafters together.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
be sure to wear some sort of locating beacon so they can find the body under all the rubble....
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
You can always say all those flaws are part of the design...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
You can always say all those flaws are part of the design...
that's what I do when I start a design.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
be sure to wear some sort of locating beacon so they can find the body under all the rubble....
I don't plan on using your help for this, so I think I might be OK.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I don't plan on using your help for this, so I think I might be OK.

*....walking tward phone to cancel plane tickets....head down.....*

Oh....
Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
*....walking tward phone to cancel plane tickets....head down.....*

Oh....
well, if you already have the plane tickets...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
This would be a hard decision. First, how long are you planning on living there? If a couple years, just fix it. If 5 or more, I would build another one. You can always roll the costs into a home equity loan, or refinance your house. Rates are pretty good right now.

It's sooooo nice to be able to park your truck inside a garage. Soooooo nice... You can work on it inside, wax it inside, f in it inside, and the list goes on and on.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I'd repair it. Or at least get an estimate on repairing it. The foundation and leaning wall might be a little costly, but definitely not as much as a new garage. When you said it was 2 stories that's when I figured you should save it. I wish my garage was 2 stories.
the foundation is pretty much crap. I think it is a chain wall with a floating center. The chain wall has settled about 1.5" lower than the floating center. There are cracks all over the center. The only place for the car has also settled about 1".
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
This would be a hard decision. First, how long are you planning on living there? If a couple years, just fix it. If 5 or more, I would build another one. You can always roll the costs into a home equity loan, or refinance your house. Rates are pretty good right now.

It's sooooo nice to be able to park your truck inside a garage. Soooooo nice... You can work on it inside, wax it inside, f in it inside, and the list goes on and on.
All the things you said are true, but I'm very wary about digging ourselves into a deep hole to have the convenience of an attached/functional garage.

I'm starting to think that having a garage and a separate workshop might be the way to go.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
All the things you said are true, but I'm very wary about digging ourselves into a deep hole to have the convenience of an attached/functional garage.

I'm starting to think that having a garage and a separate workshop might be the way to go.
My good buddy's parents have that setup, and it's awesome. Park in the attached garage, and party ah I mean "work on the truck" in the other garage. Good call.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
How's the layout? Would it be easy to build a breezeway between the house and garage to at least keep you out of the rain as you walk between the two?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I could do a breezeway, but I won't. It would be way too difficult to do on the layout.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
send some drawings to me, i might be able to do something for ya....
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
send some drawings to me, i might be able to do something for ya....
uh oh, Ed has a lot of idle time on his hands???