Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Expanding our deck from 120 SQ/FT to about 550 SQ/FT

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR View Post
7-10-13

20 foot strips of composite decking have arrived

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
That stuff does look nice. Never used it before though. I always used regular wood decking. I can't wait to see how it looks when finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Thats going to be a nice big deck. What are your plans for that basement window? You won't have much of a view anymore.
Maybe he can convert it into an escape hatch, and a small crawl space under the deck. lol
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what really grinds my gears is some of the quality of the wood from the big box improvement stores. some of the wood ended up to be super wavy and uneven
Unless you're getting a ridiculous amount of lumber, I always check in the store to make sure I don't buy (what I call) "fucky" lumber. I just do a quick check on the crown and for significant warping.

Matt
Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
btw this is my first time building a deck, I learned everything so far from google, youtube, talking to people, and books. so if any pros out there see something then its ok to say something...

that being said I have no idea how to install vinyl railings... I'm especially concerned about the angles
Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You look like you are doing a good job so far. Support spacing is good, and joist thickness looks good as well. How did you attach to the house itself? Did you use a sealer and wood protector there as well?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
the big debate was whether to go wood or composite, it would have been A LOT cheaper to go with regular wood. I guess I just didnt want to deal with the maint. (staining or painting etc.) and it would take years for me to stain a deck like this
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
You look like you are doing a good job so far. Support spacing is good, and joist thickness looks good as well. How did you attach to the house itself? Did you use a sealer and wood protector there as well?

long long bolts that go directly into the joists of the house.

thats the thing, i did not use a sealer or wood protector as yet, I took the vinyl siding off and I'm not sure how to tackle that, someone said I need to put a moisture barrier strip or something there as well?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
bought a husky LED worklight from home depot, I needed lots of light and something that wasnt going to keep tripping my breaker with all the tools going at the same time. works great and provides a very nice sharp light for working at night
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #28
ASE Master Tech

Yes, you really do need a moisture barrier there. At this point it would be too expensive to pull the joist and seal it, so I would suggest getting several tubes of sealer and go to town where the joist connects to the house. Get a good bead along the top, making sure it bonds well to the house as well as the board where they meet. You do not want ANY water getting past there.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Yes, you really do need a moisture barrier there. At this point it would be too expensive to pull the joist and seal it, so I would suggest getting several tubes of sealer and go to town where the joist connects to the house. Get a good bead along the top, making sure it bonds well to the house as well as the board where they meet. You do not want ANY water getting past there.
Or flash it. I'd trust flashing over a bead of sealant any day. Stuff the flashing up under the bottom layer of siding, and wrap it over the joist and make a drip edge on the bottom. It would mean the last board would sit on the flashing but it'll keep water away from that joint.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
^^yes, I believe flashing was the reccomended solution
Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #31
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Or flash it. I'd trust flashing over a bead of sealant any day. Stuff the flashing up under the bottom layer of siding, and wrap it over the joist and make a drip edge on the bottom. It would mean the last board would sit on the flashing but it'll keep water away from that joint.
I should have thought about that Mike! It wouldn't be THAT difficult to pull the first two deck boards to install flashing along the house. Good idea!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
If as you say you learned for the internet on building your deck, good job. When looking through this from the beginning I was hoping that the old small section was going to get redone too. I also recommend going with the metal flashing. I'd look into a local siding dealer, not Lowe's or Home Depot type place. They should have rolls of aluminum or tin in different colors. Then with a "break" can then be bent into the type of desired flashing or trim. I'd recommend 4 or 6 in wide stuff and have it bent in either of 2 ways.

1) A single bend into a "L" with the short length wide enough to cover the top of the wood anchored to the house.

2) A double bend similar to the "L" but with another bend on the short side of the "L" that angles down toward the ground.

The second option is not as easy, the first option will work too. As long as you get some flashing that either matches your siding or the deck, then it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. Example the bare galvanized flashing for roofing would not look to good.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
If as you say you learned for the internet on building your deck, good job. When looking through this from the beginning I was hoping that the old small section was going to get redone too. I also recommend going with the metal flashing. I'd look into a local siding dealer, not Lowe's or Home Depot type place. They should have rolls of aluminum or tin in different colors. Then with a "break" can then be bent into the type of desired flashing or trim. I'd recommend 4 or 6 in wide stuff and have it bent in either of 2 ways.

1) A single bend into a "L" with the short length wide enough to cover the top of the wood anchored to the house.

2) A double bend similar to the "L" but with another bend on the short side of the "L" that angles down toward the ground.

The second option is not as easy, the first option will work too. As long as you get some flashing that either matches your siding or the deck, then it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. Example the bare galvanized flashing for roofing would not look to good.

replacing the old section meaning tearing up the old framing as well? essentially starting from scratch?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #35
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-14-13

Bought this and cut down on building time significantly

Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-16-13

my very messy work area

Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #37
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
my question is now that I tore the siding off, how do I go about putting it back and still making it look good? put flashing above the wood then cut new siding? do I need to buy another plastic vinyl siding bracket? or can I just stuff the siding behind the composite piece?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
7-16-13

my very messy work area

Not sure if you had instructions with your composite... but when you get to the center part where you are putting 2 boards together, you should have put one going the opposite way in the middle. Like what you see on the right hand side.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the big debate was whether to go wood or composite, it would have been A LOT cheaper to go with regular wood. I guess I just didnt want to deal with the maint. (staining or painting etc.) and it would take years for me to stain a deck like this
I'm not a fan of composite but lots of people swear by it

How are you attaching it ? What brand is it ?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would cut the housewrap about 1 " above the ledger , tape that to the sheathing , install a drip edge flashing over that and under the housewrap above

Products Discussed in this Thread