Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Expanding our deck from 120 SQ/FT to about 550 SQ/FT

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I would cut the housewrap about 1 " above the ledger , tape that to the sheathing , install a drip edge flashing over that and under the housewrap above
If you have housewrap, that would be a great way to go. Wasn't thinking about that, mine isn't wrapped
Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #42
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Here is an example of getting the flashing installed correctly for your application. I will look for others if you need them.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Here is an example of getting the flashing installed correctly for your application. I will look for others if you need them.

Top flashing should be lapped by the housewrap , no ?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you have housewrap, that would be a great way to go. Wasn't thinking about that, mine isn't wrapped
Paper ?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #46
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Top flashing should be lapped by the housewrap , no ?
I have seen it done both ways. Normally on TOTALLY new construction, including house, you would put the house wrap over the top flashing. On new construction you can put flashing over the house wrap if it is at least 4 inches high against the wall. Right now we are trying to help the OP out with sealing the joist-to-house connection AFTER the deck framing has been built.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #47
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Paper ?
1906, no sir. They put wood siding directly on the studs (not shingles, milled wood siding), then the previous owner put vinyl siding directly over that. So yeah... no vapor retarder. I've been adding one as I've made my way through the house renovations. Come construction experts up here are actually making the argument that a vapor retarder isn't necessary. Seems like the people who built my house were just ahead of their time
Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #48

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have seen it done both ways. Normally on TOTALLY new construction, including house, you would put the house wrap over the top flashing. On new construction you can put flashing over the house wrap if it is at least 4 inches high against the wall. Right now we are trying to help the OP out with sealing the joist-to-house connection AFTER the deck framing has been built.
I didn't think about that Grace stuff but that's good stuff and seals up well. It's self healing so it seals up around any nail holes. It's a little pricey but it does work.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #49
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
I didn't think about that Grace stuff but that's good stuff and seals up well. It's self healing so it seals up around any nail holes. It's a little pricey but it does work.

Pricey? You consider $27.00 for a 75 foot long roll pricey? Wow Pugga, you are a shrew!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #50

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pricey? You consider $27.00 for a 75 foot long roll pricey? Wow Pugga, you are a shrew!
Damn, I'm thinking the wrong stuff... I was thinking ice and water shield, that stuff was $120 for a 75' roll. That being said, I don't know if the deck stuff is self healing like the ice and water shield. FWIW, ice and water shield does do well under flashing, I used it around a door I installed last year and covered it with that white aluminum flashing
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
ASE Master Tech

Yeah, this stuff is specifically designed to work as deck sealer around joists and such.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1906, no sir. They put wood siding directly on the studs (not shingles, milled wood siding), then the previous owner put vinyl siding directly over that. So yeah... no vapor retarder. I've been adding one as I've made my way through the house renovations. Come construction experts up here are actually making the argument that a vapor retarder isn't necessary. Seems like the people who built my house were just ahead of their time
It all depends
Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #53

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, this stuff is specifically designed to work as deck sealer around joists and such.
We use that Grace peel and stick with untreated Fir joists for decks
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #54

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know that , like I posted before , cut the housewrap 1" above the ledger , tape the wrap to the sheathing , install flashing over the tape with the wall leg of the flashing under the upper housewrap

also : what good is flashing on the outside of the housewrap ? Is that really code there ? That's dumb
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #55
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Not sure if you had instructions with your composite... but when you get to the center part where you are putting 2 boards together, you should have put one going the opposite way in the middle. Like what you see on the right hand side.

noted.

wonder why that is. is that for aesthetics or for expansion purposes?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #56

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR View Post
7-16-13

my very messy work area

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
You're using the Camo fastener system with those boards ? They look like they are rabbetted on each edge to accept T style proprietary fasteners
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I needed this! Thank you very much
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #58

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It all depends
I know, it's all vapor drive but because we have hot, humid summers and cold, dry winters the vapor drive completely reverses.

Quote:
I know that , like I posted before , cut the housewrap 1" above the ledger , tape the wrap to the sheathing , install flashing over the tape with the wall leg of the flashing under the upper housewrap

also : what good is flashing on the outside of the housewrap ? Is that really code there ? That's dumb
OZ, you don't even want to get into MA building code... We have some of the most ludicris codes you'll ever see.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #59
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
the question is now how the hell do I install the undersill trim
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #60

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR View Post
the question is now how the hell do I install the undersill trim
I would continue the top flashing down past the bottom edge of the carrier and make a drip edge on the end and not worry about the undersill trim if it were me.

Products Discussed in this Thread