Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Expanding our deck from 120 SQ/FT to about 550 SQ/FT

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Expanding our deck from 120 SQ/FT to about 550 SQ/FT

Our current deck is about 10x12 and so we cant fit patio furniture and a grille out there at the same time. Since its not a raised deck (where we could possibly fall to our deaths) I decided to tackle it myself.

Photo of existing deck after I dug up the area for the new one.

5-26-13

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
BTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud ofBTR has much to be proud of
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
5-29-2013

So I realized that my house was built on ledge today, there is nothing but rocks in every direction of this build. it was a disaster getting all of them out to dig the holes for the posts.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
6-6-13

Getting the tubes and concrete in there

Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
6-10-13

Extra tubing cut along with wood from our local home improvement chain

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
6-11-13

Section 1 completed

6-15-13

Knocked down the railing separating the old deck from the new section (with help from my father and son)

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
6-19-13

Ran into a huge snag, with all the rain the holes keep filling up with water. Everytime I drain the hole it fills up again. turns out that there was a large pool of water behind my house gathering on top of a rock. It took about 2 days with a sump pump to pump it out so I can start working again.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
6-22-13

After days of pumping and struggling with it I finally got 2 more posts done. Section 2 if halfway completed. For the next two posts I may have to either pin the wood directly to the rock or attempt to make a small concrete platform on top of the rock (its about 3 inches before I hit rock on one side and 8 inches on the other)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR View Post
6-19-13

Ran into a huge snag, with all the rain the holes keep filling up with water. Everytime I drain the hole it fills up again. turns out that there was a large pool of water behind my house gathering on top of a rock. It took about 2 days with a sump pump to pump it out so I can start working again.

Tremmi pipe! Water doesn't need to be out of the hole before you can place concrete as long as the base is solid (which it would be since you're on ledge). Basically, you just stick a 4-6" diameter pipe to the bottom of the whole and pour the concrete through that. Keep the bottom of the pipe in the fresh concrete and, as your keep pouring, the concrete displaces the water. Just in case you run into this situation again!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
^^ oh boy oh boy, this would have been great info to know then lol. thanks bud!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-5-13

poured footings

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good! Nice work there. I love building decks almost as much as I love relaxing on them. It is hard to tell since the color seems off by the photos, but I assume you used treated wood on all of the joists? It is probably the color of the photo, but it looks to be regular un-treated pine.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-6-13

added extension, coming along nicely

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Looking good! Nice work there. I love building decks almost as much as I love relaxing on them. It is hard to tell since the color seems off by the photos, but I assume you used treated wood on all of the joists? It is probably the color of the photo, but it looks to be regular un-treated pine.
probably the color. its all treated wood!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-9-13

removed remaining posts and ripped old deck down to the joists

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-10-13

20 foot strips of composite decking have arrived

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-12-13

Adding the extension

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Thats going to be a nice big deck. What are your plans for that basement window? You won't have much of a view anymore.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
what really grinds my gears is some of the quality of the wood from the big box improvement stores. some of the wood ended up to be super wavy and uneven
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Thats going to be a nice big deck. What are your plans for that basement window? You won't have much of a view anymore.
we have a second basement window but I'm not thrilled about losing all of that light either. I may install a solar motion led light under the deck that points at the basement window so that it brings some light into the basement when its dark?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
BTR's Tacoma Gallery
7-16-13
laid some of the composite decking out, got it at a major discount at some clearance warehouse, its not perfect and some of the pieces are faded, but with the money I saved I'm sure I'll get over it

Products Discussed in this Thread