Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Recomendations on wood stoves

Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
motorcycle07 is on a distinguished road
motorcycle07's Tacoma Gallery
Recomendations on wood stoves

I am in the market for a wood stove for the first time and I was looking for recommendations for stove brands and models. I am looking for an indoor stove, that doesn't tie into central heating duct, has a glass front loading door and is capable of heating at least 2000sq ft. As far as the other stove qualifications I am open to recommendations, (e.g. cast vs/steel, size of logs accepted, perceived ease of use, ash tray location, etc.). I am replacing what I am going to call a freestanding (cast iron) fireplace that was abused to provide partial heat to said house while running wide open all the time during a southern Iowa winter.
Thanks for any advice
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Lopi fireplace insert. It works well. They sell stoves as well. Here's a wood burning thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gar...post-pics.html
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I have a Lopi fireplace insert. It works well. They sell stoves as well. Here's a wood burning thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gar...post-pics.html
I have browsed through this thread, but was looking for more specific info. I have read mixed reviews on the Lopi's on other websites.

In response to OZ's post: I see some stoves listed as having a cooktop. Are stoves that do not have a cook top capable of cooking? Are the stove internals different to allow more heat to reach the top surface of the stove?

Also the brands I know I can get locally are Drolet, U.S. Stove, Vogelzang, Pleasant Hearth, and Jotul. Any recommendations on these?

Edit: I can also get the pacific energy local so I will check out your recomendation OZ. How many sq. ft. does this stove heat for you? I know it says 2000, and that you surely encounter much harsher winters in BC, but I am just trying to wrap my head around the seemingly arbitrary numbers.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The Alderlea T5 heats our main and upper floor which total approx 2000 sqft

The size a stove can heat is fairly dependent on the layout of the building as well

The T5 is a cool " hybrid " stove as it uses a steel inner firebox but is wrapped in cast iron panels , so it heats up fairly quickly but holds and emits heat for quite a while after it has gone out due to the thermal mass of the cast iron

The cook top on this particular model has a split grate , so you can swing either side of the top outwards away from the centre of the stove to regulate the heat for whatever you are cooking

The other think I like about the T5 is it is deep enough that you can put 18" logs in front to back
Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of these(Large Convection) http://www.adamsstove.com/PDF/VER_2_..._Iron_C_LR.pdf
They are made by Vermont Castings who are very reputable. I heat about 1400 of vaulted ceiling space with mine. Very easy to use. Don't overlook the side loader door. I never use my front loading door.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
I have one of these(Large Convection) http://www.adamsstove.com/PDF/VER_2_..._Iron_C_LR.pdf
They are made by Vermont Castings who are very reputable. I heat about 1400 of vaulted ceiling space with mine. Very easy to use. Don't overlook the side loader door. I never use my front loading door.
Might be personal preference but I think a fire built with the logs front to back burns better
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
My brother just bought a used stove with a 240cfm blower kit on it. It also has a lil tube 1/2 inch or so that goes out the back of the stove through the wall so the stove takes the oxygen from outside rather than Inside the home. He said that he woke up everyonce and awhile a lil light headed and that fancy lil tube will eliminate oxygen being taken from inside the house.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFast View Post
My brother just bought a used stove with a 240cfm blower kit on it. It also has a lil tube 1/2 inch or so that goes out the back of the stove through the wall so the stove takes the oxygen from outside rather than Inside the home. He said that he woke up everyonce and awhile a lil light headed and that fancy lil tube will eliminate oxygen being taken from inside the house.
Sounds more like carbon monoxide is getting in the house versus oxygen being depleted which is pretty much impossible

Does he have a carbon monoxide detector ? If not , he should get one
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
amadougrand is on a distinguished road

amadougrand's Tacoma Gallery
Blaze King

I just installed a Blaze King in my new cabin and love it. With the new energy compliance regs they cut down what size heat pump and AC I could put in so I augmented after final inspection. The Blaze King is a bit oversized for the house and I think even the Blaze Princess will do 2000sf, but the selling point for me was a 40 hour burn time on the King set to low. Leave the cabin all day and come back to a warm house without the heat pump ever being used.

There are many brands, but the hands down favorite for my area even with the old timers.

Link to the website: http://www.blazeking.com/
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Sounds more like carbon monoxide is getting in the house versus oxygen being depleted which is pretty much impossible

Does he have a carbon monoxide detector ? If not , he should get one
I'm not sure about the old stove and if it was even functioning correctly but this new stove is rated to 1500 sq ft and its smaller than the old stove rated at 1000 sq ft. I thought the stove was slowly takin the oxygen from the house and thsts why he was feeling funny when the house was closed up. Yes he has a carbon monoxide detector in the hall way. Never goes off, he replaces batteries every year.

We will see in a few months how the new stove does. I'm curious how the blower kit is going to work. It has a sensor that turns the blower on once the stove reaches a certain temp.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFast View Post
I'm not sure about the old stove and if it was even functioning correctly but this new stove is rated to 1500 sq ft and its smaller than the old stove rated at 1000 sq ft. I thought the stove was slowly takin the oxygen from the house and thsts why he was feeling funny when the house was closed up. Yes he has a carbon monoxide detector in the hall way. Never goes off, he replaces batteries every year.

We will see in a few months how the new stove does. I'm curious how the blower kit is going to work. It has a sensor that turns the blower on once the stove reaches a certain temp.
Unless you have a brand new , super tight house , the negative pressure exerted on the house by a woodstove won't ever drop the oxygen levels
Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
After quite a bit of research I decided on the Osburn 2200. It is to be delivered tomorrow. If money was no object I probably would have bought the Jotul Rangely. Thanks for everybody's input. Also if anyone else is looking at this stove let me know and I will post up what a think of it, if it ever gets cool enough to use it that is (Damn near 100F for the next two days ).